Cheney Warns Of Trump’s Enduring Threat: ‘Ignoring The Lie, Emboldens The Liar’ | Talking Points Memo

Rep. Liz Cheney (R-WY) who has been vilified for challenging the Republican Party’s unbending loyalty to former President Donald Trump’s lie of a stolen election delivered a powerful speech on the House floor on the eve of her her widely anticipated ouster as conference chair.

This is a companion discussion topic for the original entry at https://talkingpointsmemo.com/?p=1373639

All but one of her GOP colleagues in the House got up en masse and walked out prior to Liz Cheney delivering her speech.

32 Likes

I never expected to agree with a Cheney on anything, but she’s right here.

It’s like we fell into a different dimension in 2016…

34 Likes

Watching Liz Cheney is like watching Darth Vader (spoilers for a 38-year-old movie…) toss the Emperor into the reactor. It doesn’t excuse or erase all the terrible things he did in the name of the Empire. But, it was a heroic act anyway.

Of course, in the real-life version, the Trump wins and Cheney gets thrown into the reactor. But it matters that she is trying.

26 Likes

She’s going to be an attack dog fighting against the Republican Party from within. It will be effective and cause more damage, more splintering.

You’re in a heap of trouble, boys and girls.

33 Likes

“Today we face a threat America has never seen before. A former president, who provoked a violent attack on this Capitol in an effort to steal the election, has resumed his aggressive effort to convince Americans that the election was stolen from him. He risks inciting further violence,”

Yet she fails to mention anything about voter suppression. I guess Cheney knows that Republicans would have to struggle to get elected at least nationally if everyone eligible to vote was encouraged to do so.

5 Likes

Of all people I find myself standing and applauding this morning… a Cheney.

18 Likes

“I am a conservative Republican and the most conservative of conservative principles is reverence for the rule of law,” Cheney said.

I’m glad she’s taking the stance that she is, but this is some grade-A horseshit right here. Just to pick one example off of a very tall pile, she should ask Valerie Plame about her father’s “reverence for the rule of law.”

Reverence to the rule of law among conservatives is empty lip service at best.

25 Likes

Is this on tape? They are terrible terrible people.

11 Likes

Republicans obviously have different legal interpretations, and often, the courts agree with them. :neutral_face:

5 Likes

Unfortunately, most of these anti-Trump Republicans are no longer in office:

But they are not without some influence.

23 Likes

An agreement on the basic rules by which the government operates is a usually unstated expectation I have of everyone who leads this country.
That those rules are themselves the subject of dispute is concerning.
That one of our major political parties has, in the main, turned their back on them, is despicable.
As uncomfortable as I am agreeing with Liz Cheney, that she would rise to defend what should be taken for granted about the American political process is something I agree with and support her in.

20 Likes

Every word she says is true, she’s making a sacrifice by saying them, and she has guts for doing this honorable thing. I’m not going to throw in some disparagement with that to prove my good liberal bona fides. All the rest of them ought to do what she’s doing.

44 Likes

Reported by CNN

14 Likes

She needs to be applauded. Agreeing with her on the survival of our democracy and about the facts of the 2020 election is the right thing.

22 Likes

So, yeah. It’s hard to remember, at least it is for me, and I can’t put my finger on precisely when it changed, but there was a time, back before Liz Cheney’s father was Vice President, when “conservatives” and folks like me, shared a common reality. Sure, we disagreed about the Government’s role in the economy, and the U.S.'s role in the world’s politics, and the Military, and basic, important things like that, but, as I say, we agreed about reality. Rep. Cheney and I disagree about almost everything, except the color of the sky, the acceleration of gravity, and the nature of Donald Trump. These days, that makes her look like a hero. Weird.

29 Likes

She said that like the “rule of law” is some unique virtue of conservatives, whereas “rule of law” is the minimum requirement of a democracy.

And yes, Republicans have demonstrated again and again that they really do not believe in the law when it suits their purpose.

18 Likes

I saw a poll where 50% of Republicans agreed with Cheney. The unity showed in the walkout was only a charade dutifully carried out by puppets.

24 Likes

I hope she continues to stress this isn’t ‘just’ about saving the GOP, it’s about saving our democracy. That’s what matters most. It does take guts. I applaud her for standing up for that basic principle, although like most if not all of those on this thread I disagree with almost everything else she supports. I

16 Likes

She didn’t say that and she didn’t say anything “like” that. If you need to insult her just call her a poopyhead.

7 Likes