Chair Of Jan. 6 Panel Doesn’t Rule Out Possibility Of Trump Subpoena | Talking Points Memo

So, you’re on the committee, then? Because otherwise, you, too are just an armchair theorist sans insider information.

Be that as it may, I don’t agree with your argument. Stooping to their level is not how I want this to go.

Trump will not become President again. (when combined with the voices of tens of millions of others, it helps :face_with_monocle:).

This must be made clear. Regardless of the fervor of the people supporting Trump, his sadistic nature and disastrous administration have left a swath of pain in the United States that is greatly under-represented in our polity.

8 Likes

He instigated the whole thing, God knows. But there’d be so much hoopla associated with a subpoena and the rest and he’s so reflexively dishonest and mentally ill that it’s hard to imagine what valuable information he could possibly furnish. It would just be spinning his greatest hits album one more time. Suppose you did manage to catch him in some sort of contradiction, or get him to reveal some key fact that would implicate him? How much can you lean on that, when the man can barely form a single coherent sentence? As a practical matter that would aid the investigation, I’m not seeing it.

7 Likes

hahaha!! Although I read that as Cheddar Cheese Ceauşescu. More alliterative. And ya gotta admit, he’s pretty cheesy.

5 Likes

If the possibility makes Trump sweat until his face drips off, I’m all for it.

I wonder how he did at his recent deposition in NYC.

7 Likes

Setting Trump aside…it’s the Minions I want…and it’s not the same kind of thing like getting Trump to account.

It is the accounting for the actions of dishonest, opportunistic people reveling in the rush of committing misdeeds they believe they will not have to answer for…

Like they associate with Trump.

6 Likes

What I’d like to see is the Select Committee get through all of its witnesses, documents and other evidence, with as few distractions as possible, and assemble and establish the details of everything that happened in relation to January 6.

Even without Trump’s cooperation, this should be doable. And everyone should know everything they uncover.

Then subpoena Trump. He should be the last piece. And it should be quite the show.

That’s what I’d like to see.

He’ll fight it tooth and nail, so it may take awhile. But in the meantime, everyone will know the story - the Committee’s work to that point - so his resistance to testifying will not look good on him. He will definitely come off looking much more guilty than principled. Even some of his own people will have difficulty with this.

And if they ever get him under oath, in front of the Committee, he’ll either run his mouth (the show) or have to take the fifth. Either way would be glorious for its political aftermath implications, especially in an election year.

That’s another possible reason for the Committee to hold off on a Trump subpoena at this time. When it gets to the point, which it will, where the whole country is buzzing constantly about the stories behind January 6, and Trump’s role in them, backed by the evidence gathered by the Committee, Trump, being Trump, may be unable to resist the impulse to tell his side. He needs to be loved. And he can’t be silent during an election year. A subpoena might not even be necessary.

The pressure to talk, to respond, will be enormous. The problem for him is that if he ever testifies, he’ll have only two options: obfuscate, or take the Fifth. The truth is foreign to him. Also, too uncomfortably incriminating here even for him to tell. He’ll end up looking like a loser.

As for the question of whether the Committee would ever subpoena Trump, why does anyone even need to ask? Of course, he’s going to be subpoenaed.

8 Likes

Any time you can get the mf under oath facing relentless prosecutors, do it. The country needs to hear him answer for his shit.

12 Likes

Imma stealing this…

4 Likes

The calls by the dotard and Graham to Georgia Secretary of State Raffensburger were in direct violation of anti election coercion laws. They attempted to use the power of their offices to change the election outcome of Georgia. That is against the law, morals and ethics that have governed the country for a couple of centuries now. Unprecedented abuse of office.

17 Likes

Obviously. That’s my point. None of us know–I’m just arguing that we should all equally recognize that reality.

I’m OK with streetfight tactics. Especially after Jan 6.

7 Likes

I understand why there is slow deliberation w/r/t Trump, but Graham is another story.

10 Likes

I feel reasonably certain that we, the reality based, share your view in that regard.

2 Likes

Yeah I agree. I wish Georgia had the guts to do the righ thing and prosecute the motherfucker.

8 Likes

Surely Dr. Ronnie could find some pills to alleviate the pain. Trumpf could even cash in by signing up as Perdue Pharma’s spokesthingy

2 Likes

And just when I was about to concur that @tena wins the Internet today, @irasdad goes full Kanye to steal her thunder.

9 Likes

When do you estimate the transcript of that interview will become available to the public?

1 Like

So why not subpoena, indict or charge Lindsey? He was part of this scenario and no one has said boo about his role in all of this. He’s got nothing behind him, so what’s the delay there? They’ve got the tape, for Pete’s sake, as well as the witnesses?

@emiliano4

7 Likes

O @irasdad always does win, sometimes even when he’s not around. hahahahahaha I just expect that. There’s no way I’m on his level.

9 Likes

Let’s go full-on Rod Serling:

• Graham is charged and gets suspended
  • RoJo gets suspended (pick a charge)

We start doing business in the Senate

7 Likes
Comments are now Members-Only
Join the discussion Free options available