Busted! New Audio Wrecks McCarthy’s Denial That He Planned To Urge Trump To Resign

A lot of things happened. Here are some of the things. This is TPM’s Morning Memo.

Several hours after House Minority Speaker Kevin McCarthy (R-CA) claimed on Thursday that the New York Times journalists who reported that he’d privately told fellow House GOP leaders that he’d ask Trump to resign after Jan. 6 are big fat liars (and also “the past year and a half have proven that our country was better off when President Trump was in the White House”), the journalists in question released an audio clip of McCarthy’s Jan. 10 call proving that they are not, in fact, big fat liars.

This is a companion discussion topic for the original entry at https://talkingpointsmemo.com/?p=1413826
3 Likes

Lordy, sometimes there are tapes you didn’t even hope for. Fallows noted the other day that despite the one big thing they consistently get wrong, there’s a lot of good stuff the NYT does, brilliant, world-class stuff and most of all adapted to the moment perfectly in this particular instance. They report on this conversation, McCarthy denies it flatly, fake news, never happened, and then pow. Chef’s kiss, baby, that was perfection.

79 Likes
37 Likes
43 Likes

Somebody reamed him good, and it doesn’t have to be Cheney. Lots of backs to be stabbed, and backstabbers to do the stabbing. You know what Truman said about what to do if you want a friend in Washington. :dog:

40 Likes

Schadenfreude is best served with a dollop of sour cream. Helps it pass through the gut.

17 Likes

Let us be on the alert for the unkindest cut of all.

13 Likes

Let’s just say revenge certainly makes a dandy breakfast. I could have et tu of that, truth be told.

30 Likes

But… for that to occur, there would have to be “trusted friends” and there seems not to be either “trust” nor “friendship” among these scoundrels…

The most painful of insults, affronts, or offenses, often so painful because it comes from a trusted friend. In William Shakespeare’s Julius Caesar, Antony describes the wound given to Caesar by his close friend Brutus (see also Brutus) as the “most unkindest cut of all.”

8 Likes

Well, IOKIYAR.

McCarthy is a weakling without a moral center. Is anyone surprised that is exactly how he behaved in the days following January 6?

29 Likes

I think it’s a weird feeling knowing that even McCarthy could see and do the right thing for the right reason, but then, as soon as he might have political cover, gamble that doing the opposite might be useful to him.

So he chose to be a dick-traitor instead of a statesman.

I hate this feeling. Someone please lie to me.

30 Likes

Um, those are exactly the personal traits that got Trump elected. Why should Republicans deem them as negatives?

16 Likes

Few to none, and anyone who is shouldn’t be. What’s significant and not as widely understood, though, IMHO, is how little real loyalty or support Trump has now or ever had. That one I don’t think everyone gets.

32 Likes

Hee Hee Hee. Drips like MTG never imagine they’ll ever pay a price for their behavior.
Even if the plaintiffs fail in keeping her off the ballot, just forcing her to have to take the stand and let the world see how hollow she is condign punishment.

34 Likes

There are far too many news items, mostly yesterdays news, in the MM. I think I’ll add another.

As of 2020, more Americans age 1 to 19 die by guns each year than any other cause—including car accidents, drug overdoses, and cancer— according to a study by The New England Journal of Medicine. The study found that more than 4,300 people age 19 and under died from gunshots in 2020, up 29 percent over the year before—and the figure is likely to grow. “In the last 40 years, and almost certainly before that, this is the first time that firearm injuries have surpassed motor vehicle crashes among kids,” the study found, adding that homicides topped suicides in the findings. Overall, gun deaths grew by 33 percent between 2019 and 2020 across all demographics. Car accidents, once the top killer of kids, dropped dramatically over the last 20 years, the study found. “You can reduce injury rates without banning guns, just like everyone reduced motor vehicle crash rates without banning cars,” the authors concluded.

36 Likes
33 Likes

McCarthy stabbed Cheney in the back, is not like the daughter of Darth Vader was going to forgive him.

36 Likes

Thank goodness McCarthy’s career is over.

Now there’s lots of room for Gym Jordan and MTG to lead the GOP.

My point is, the pool from which Trump draws, is bottomless.

18 Likes

The GQP is afraid of his base, not of him. They’re ready to jump in and take over as soon as he’s knocked down. They sat and waited for the Dems to do it to keep their hands ckean. They planned poorly.

26 Likes
Comments are now Members-Only
Join the discussion Free options available