Burr Sells DC Townhouse | Talking Points Memo

ProPublica is a Pulitzer Prize-winning investigative newsroom. Sign up for The Big Story newsletter to receive stories like this one in your inbox.

This is a companion discussion topic for the original entry at https://talkingpointsmemo.com/?p=1303796

GOP = Greedy Ol’ Pigs (with apologies to pigs).

4 Likes

Okay, boys and girls: This is a true instance of ‘the swamp’, which Agent Orange & Co are all too happy to feed with more creatures from the dark swamp. Senator Richard Burr (R(duh)-NC)

3 Likes

Burr sold the small townhouse, in the Capitol Hill neighborhood, for what, by some estimates, was an above market price — $900,000 — to a team led by lobbyist John Green. That is tens of thousands of dollars above some estimates of the property’s value by tax assessors, a real estate website and a local real estate agent. The sale was done off-market, without the home being listed for sale publicly.

So NOT only is Burr profiteering through insider trading during a pandemic but he has also emulated Trump’s real estate moves…

Trump Swampy VULTURISTIC Culture is trickling down!

But it has been a pattern for Burr that he shows his vulturistic instinct on a crisis even before Trump came into the political scene…
In 2008 Burr told the public not to panic while he cashed out on stocks and told his wife:

‘Brooke, I am not coming home this weekend. I will call you on Monday. Tonight, I want you to go to the ATM machine, and I want you to draw out everything it will let you take. And I want you to go tomorrow, and I want you to go Sunday,’”

Addendum:

ICYMI:

While US Covid death toll is rising (24,737 as of this comment)
So are Trump’s LIES…
18,000 in 1170 days and counting!

Addendum2:

8 Likes

This is obviously wrong on so many levels, and should be illegal, but the angle I’m going to focus on is that as Chairman of the Senate Intelligence Committee, he’s subject to blackmail by unscrupulous foreign states and entities. These kinds of unethical acts makes him a ripe target. I can almost guarantee Russia and China knew about this.

15 Likes

I think the Rethug party has training sessions for their members in how to work all the angles to make themselves richer than they were when they came to Congress. In their minds, if it is not against some law, then it it perfectly OK. Ethics is NOT a subject that they even talk about.

2 Likes

Hey, Senator Burr, I’d be more than happy to buy your old shoes for $10,000 each (that’s $20,000 for the pair). I just happen to be a collector of used senator shoes and this would complete my collection, as in it would be the first in my collection (for complicated reasons I only collect senior NC senator shoes). The only thing I as in return is for you to grant my soon to be formed and registered “charity” a $500,000 grant to study wear patterns in used senator shoes.

5 Likes

Overpaying for a home is common. I’ve bought homes in neighborhoods I knew were trending upward because of the number of flips going on, nearby upgrades in planned commercial and retail offerings, and other reasons. Often paid over market, sometimes just to keep someone else with their eye on it from having it. I wanted the flip. Knew on the backside I was going to make money. Sacrificed on the front side to get it. It happens.

North Carolina is sending their finest. Grifters.

3 Likes

Wow, guess he really learned from that condemnation of his stock sell off. Yes, snark.

3 Likes

Did you sell any to people you had pending legal business with?
Was the offer to buy from you contingent upon you doing something they wanted you to do in your official public office capacity?
If so, you were paid a Bribe.

3 Likes

It really is troubling that it takes a global emergency, and a global health catastrophe, and a global economic disaster, and a threat to our democratic republic for people to wake up and see that Republicans do not have people’s best interests in mind when they govern.

4 Likes

Seems like his motto is:
“catch me if you can”

flout

“to break or ignore (a law, rule, etc.) without hiding what you are doing or showing fear or shame.”

2 Likes
  1. But, her emails!!!
  2. But her Wall St speeches!!!
  3. IOKIYAR, Biotches!!!
4 Likes

If you haven’t been aware of that since at least 1968 you’ve been asleep at the wheel. Or born much later.

3 Likes

Trump and the GOP are a bottomless pit of opportunism, grift, and corruption.

6 Likes

“Congress did not exempt CARES Act payments from private debt collection, and the Treasury Department has been reluctant to exempt them through its rulemaking authority. This means that individuals could see their payments transferred from their hands into the hands of their creditors, potentially leaving them with nothing.”

2 Likes

lc
Yes they are.

Cashing in or Running away
Read this and weep for your country

8 Likes

I don’t think they have any interest in governing at all. It’s all about the Benjamins and stacking the deck so they can get away with it

4 Likes
Comments are now Members-Only
Join the discussion Free options available