Bloomberg Releases Three Women Who Complained About Him From NDAs

Former New York Mayor Mike Bloomberg will release three women who registered complaints about him from their nondisclosure agreements in a striking victory for Sen. Elizabeth Warren (D-MA), who has been pressing the issue.

This is a companion discussion topic for the original entry at https://talkingpointsmemo.com/?p=1292629

He had no choice but to do this, there’s no way that he could leave that hanging and expect women to vote for him in the primary. It may not matter though, Warren took him apart on this and several other issues, and it left a really bad impression. If he has a second weak debate he’s likely done…he can hope Biden continues to fall and people decide to hold their noses to vote for him, but the “replace their arrogant billionaire with our arrogant billionaire” message is going to stick.

12 Likes

Good… Now, let’s see if this leads anywhere. Just don’t think this will start a trend and tRump will release all his employees bound by NDAs

6 Likes

That was a striking victory. Very symbolic as well and it will not be lost on women, going forward.

7 Likes

why these three specifically

why only three

and how are these women even supposed to know to get in touch with him

8 Likes

well. I read down through the headlines on the news page.
I am informed enough for today.
Thats all folks. lol
have a great evening!!!

It had to be done. Now we’ll see just what those jokes were. One question - is this really the total number of NDAs? Resorts have made it sound as though there were far more than three.

Is this satire?

1 Like

I wondered about that too. From the NYT article about it:

“But the carefully worded statement by Mr. Bloomberg appeared that it would not release all former employees from such agreements. For instance, it did not say he would release former employees who signed nondisclosure agreements after complaining of harassment from any person other than Mr. Bloomberg.”

So it looks like he’s only releasing NDAs where he was specifically named. That may be reasonable from a legal standpoint, not to expose employees who were claimed to be making improper comments or whatever. But it’s still not a good look.

5 Likes

Now why would Russia be doing this? Hmmmmm…

9 Likes

Somebody suggested this is satire (scroll down), and I personally recognize it’s not. It’s an attempt, a beginning to change a stance that was offensive. It can be used as a talking point down the line, of course, and if it is, women will recognize the difference: the occupant paying off hookers and denying he’s ever assaulted a woman even though a number have directly accused him. And a man releasing paperwork to begin the process of clearing his name. It’s like night and day. Or good vs evil

15 Likes

“consensual” agreements

As I’ve said on a different thread, irony is truly dead.

3 Likes

Interestingly structured reply to Warren. Critics have reported there are dozens of NDAs—I’ve heard more than 60. Bloomberg says there are 3, and limits their description: they’re based on his “comments.” So…what’s he allowing to be disclosed? Can NDAs be written in a way that prevents their signers from disclosing that they signed an NDA, so he can see that only these three can have their voices back?

I realize full well that perception is different from reality. But I am not sure this is a reasonable standard. At least in my line of work, it is routine for a settlement, not necessarily sexual harassment in nature, to be bound to an NDA and release for the company. It doesn’t mean Bloomberg himself had anything to do with it. He might not have even known about it. And the policy may have been crafted by the company’s legal team. Everyone’s response is going to be that it’s his company, he set the culture, etc. That’s all true. But it’s a big staff. It seems borderline unreasonable/irrelevant to me. Claims against Bloomberg personally are a different story. If there were allegations of rampant harassment and abuse across the entire company, that would also be different, but I don’t believe that’s the case.

Disclaimer: I deal with Bloomberg routinely in my line of work and I like the company.

6 Likes

It is important for people in disadvantaged positions to believe that there is hope. Quite naturally, I do not know all the specifics of Bloomberg’s actions.

However, as a POC, I have been the beneficiary of actions taken by people who opened doors long before I got on the scene.

Thanks for your post.

4 Likes

I’m sure he just pulled these three names out of a hat.

1 Like

To which Sanders “Nyet.”

2 Likes

Citation? I am curious. I’m not sure how knowable that statistic could be.

These releases are of absolutely no benefit to the American electorate.

None.

1 Like

Yes, NDAs can be written so that it includes not disclosing that there was a lawsuit.

The article says he is releasing three plaintiffs who had complaints specifically against his actions. He has a big company, so one would presume that there are many complaints that do not depend on Bloomberg’s direct behavior.

Remember, sexual harassment includes a wide range of behaviors. Sleazy jokes, pinup calendars on display, sexual boasting, and so on. But also, the reaction of HR & management to complaints.

ETA

Years ago, a friend of mine did file a suit against a major Silicon Valley company - one that I quite like and is mostly good. But the HR reaction toward her was really vile. Including threats of career retribution. I am sure the founders did not know of her particular case. But they also have a fiduciary responsibility to protect the company, so are inclined to let the system hide problems. The problem is systemic.

p.s., yes, we all knew there was an NDA when, one day, she quit talking about it and would not answer questions!

2 Likes