Bloomberg Pay Equity Claim Disputed | Talking Points Memo

Data from Michael Bloomberg’s media empire appears to debunk his claim during the Democratic presidential debate Wednesday night that women at his company “get paid exactly the same as men.”

This is a companion discussion topic for the original entry at https://talkingpointsmemo.com/?p=1292507

93% actually seems pretty close. How does the study account for who is actually filling what positions?

I suppose before anyone gets upset at the question, I should note that I’m not challenging that there’s a problem, but rather wondering whether it’s been properly characterized. Equal pay for equal work can be largely achieved while hiding an underlying problem of not hiring women as often for the higher paid work. You can have a situation where execs are being paid equally, secretaries are being paid equally, etc., but where hiring practices are not to hire equally for the higher paid positions. Sometimes that can be explained as occurring naturally to some extent (like if the demographics of the employees for certain positions somewhat match the demographics of who is applying for said positions), sometimes it can’t.

13 Likes

When a man lies to a woman about her worth, she doesn’t forget.

Nor should she.

9 Likes

It will never get better until equal pay for equal work is the status quo.

8 Likes

That is key and what is usually the biggest part of the problem (at least in my experience).

This ties into family leave and childcare, too. Both the presumption that women won’t be as available, and the actuality of things being structured so they’re not.

4 Likes

It’s more systemic than that.

According to Pew, 25pct of women said they were paid less than men performing the same job.

Transgender workers experience after the change. Those going from male to female see their earnings drop, while those who go from female to male see increases.

Also, when women successfully break into a previously male profession, earnings in that profession drop for everybody.

11 Likes

I know that in my line of work (software applications consultant), I definitely am paid less than my male counterparts. Most times, it is a matter of skill set but I have had times where I am doing the same type of work on a team, but it becomes apparent that I am paid less. That’s after almost 25 years doing this work.

10 Likes

Quelle surprise!

Billionaire’s company pays employees unequally. Someone remind me why anyone thought Bloomberg would make a good candidate?

6 Likes

To be fair, the specification did read “anybody but Trump”. Maybe next time we need to try to be a little more specific…

10 Likes

-Bloomberg pours another $100 million into the campaign-

As sniffit alludes to equal pay for equal work is hard to quantify.

In my case, I’m likely to be paid more than my colleagues based on the specifics of my experience. Male or female.

In the STEM field women are coming on strong and my company has a strong record and strives for diversity. Colleges are graduating a strong set of women coming in now.

Despite my company’s efforts one could think that men are paid more than women. Basically all the men are older and with that comes experience and experience drives the job market on my niche. In ten years I expect parity to be closer as these newer folks will be there on experience.

How one looks at numbers matters.

Btw, not a Bloomberg fan he can rot.

2 Likes

He makes Trump look small : - )

Dont ask me how that translates into votes, though… lol

1 Like
9 Likes

When looking at pay disparity overall it’s not bad, but it is by no means good enough.

1 Like

93% is pretty good. There will ALWAYS be some discrepancies due to life events. This seems a little ‘picky’…‘he said 100% and it’s NOT!’ As someone who has been fighting the pay equity wars for decades, I’m more concerned with the women at 75% of men’s salaries…and then being told women are just whining.

4 Likes

I guess I wasn’t being clear. Those reasons go hand in hand. You can’t fix the pay gap just by paying people equally who hold the same job designation, because who gets what job designation is part of the problem, and circular reasoning justifying lower paying jobs abounds.

That said, it’s a huge step in the right direction. I turned down a job once where I was temping because the pay was crappy. A few days later I learned the guy they’d hired instead was getting about 50% more. I quit that afternoon.

6 Likes

compremot’ clearly

1 Like

I really detest the phrasing “pay inequity” when it’s more about the structure of companies than “unequal pay for equal work”. Such claim obscures the real problem and seems disingenuous. Not helpful to feminism at all.

1 Like

I would vote for a head of cabbage over the current occupant of the WH.

2 Likes

Awesome sauce. Go Liz!!

1 Like