Biden Willing To Stretch Out Talks With GOPers Over Infrastructure Plan Past His Deadline

President Joe Biden is open to extending negotiations over his sweeping infrastructure plan with Republicans past his original Memorial Day deadline, according to Politico.

This is a companion discussion topic for the original entry at https://talkingpointsmemo.com/?p=1375582
1 Like

I’m not sure why he continues to talk with them, they’ve made it abundantly clear they hate him/us and will reject anything he offers.

14 Likes

The more rope he gives them the more intransigent they appear when this passes.

Proceed.

21 Likes

He set a deadline for these talks. If he walks that back he will have no clout the next time he sets a deadline…like Obama’s Red Line

9 Likes

I would have hoped that by now Biden would know enough not to waste his time waiting for Republican buy-in to his plans. IT’S NEVER coming, and the longer he waits the more cries there will be that the Infrastructure plan is partisan.

7 Likes

They’re just trying to run out the clock.

Then they will say that Congress in the hands of Democrats can’t get anything done. The Neanderthals in the public will buy it like they always buy it.

Thanks, Manchin.

6 Likes

I suspect the President is trying to demonstrate to Joe Manchin & Kyrsten Sinema that the Republicans are “negotiating” in bad faith, prior to using reconciliation (which Manchin abhors) or dumping the filibuster to get 'er done.

Also, the media with its obsession with “bipartisanship” – and both-siderism. Give the talking heads a demonstration that You Can’t Negotiate with Republicans.

16 Likes

I’m trying to cut back on cussing and swearing, so I have no words for this.

8 Likes

You mean to say we have a President who actually understands the concept of “negotiation”? I’m shocked…

3 Likes

I predict that this will go nowhere. Lucy, football, Charlie Brown.

5 Likes

I thought we had moved past bipartisanship at the DC level and instead were going to focus on bipartisanship at the individual American level, as in, if the majority of Americans support it its bipartisan. Someone needs to inform the press.

8 Likes

Yeah, the problem is this has gone on long enough that the lobbyists have gotten to a lot of the Senate Dems now too. They’re now finding all sorts of things to disagree with. This bill is going to get severely watered down if it ever passes.

4 Likes

When Republicans run things the ram bills through at lightning speed. It keeps people from looking too closely and finding things to bitch about. I don’t know why Democrats don’t learn from all the times they’ve been steamrolled, but here we are…

12 Likes

This may just be a way to get Manchin on board.

2 Likes

There is a give and take, a dance if you will in all human negotiations. If Joe came out and said it’s “my way or the highway” then the parties would be seen as exactly the same.

8 Likes

GOP counterproposal: Eliminate all taxes on corporations and people making over $1 million/year, and rename all streets, highways, and airports after 45.

3 Likes

Republicans just counter-offered with $928 billion, barely half of Biden’s lowered $1.7 trillion request. I believe Democrats want to wrap this up in June, so there’s time for one more go around, though my preference if Manchin is on board, is to just get it done.

6 Likes

Joe is just removing the so-called GOP platform, one plank at a time.

Patience is a virtue…

10 Likes

That’s unacceptable. So Trump dies, his estate gets $6 million exempt, one for each kid. Single parent of a single child dies, $1 million.

What these people are thinking is beyond me.

7 Likes

There is NO way to get Manchin on board. It’s all just theater for him blocking everything and handing both chambers of Congress to the GQP in 2022.

2 Likes