Biden Warns Californians They’ll Get A ‘Trump Clone’ If Newsom Loses Recall: ‘It’s Not A Joke’

That’s you missing his point. At 49.9999%, Newsom loses. Doesn’t matter what the competition got. That makes 57-43 a much smaller lead than it looks. For a normal 2-candidate election, that would be 53.5-46.5.

2 Likes

Elder has to buy a hotel and schedule all campaign events there.

3 Likes

There were actual suggestions a couple months ago that Newsom should just resign in order to make the recall election moot. Pretty sure that if he drops dead before close of polling today, the election would be ineffective and the Lt. Governor would take over instead.

ETA: President pro tempore of the state senate, not Lt. Gov.

ETA2: Eff it, y’all figure it out.

2 Likes

It was the AZ senate that approved the AZ fraudit, though it had to survive a court challenge. But Elder will likely come up with some performative BS and call it an audit. Dunno if CA will let him get his greasy mitts on the ballots, though. Might be worth it to let miss have access, because I think there may be criminal charges in the AZ frauditors’ future for having failed to maintain the integrity of the ballots.

1 Like

Hmm, :thinking: still think that’s way too unkosher. FEC maybe slow and toothless, but even a blind man could figure out that con.

1 Like

Or just set up a middleman company to “handle” his campaign event expenses. 15% off the top is “normal” for media buys.

2 Likes

I want to thank everyone for their confidence in the outcome of this recall election and in the process wishing us a right wing trump clone talk show host on us.

1 Like

In California the Lt. Gov. does not succeed the governor if he is recalled or drops dead, unlike in NY.

1 Like

Nobody is wishing the bad outcome. We’re just noting that the numbers are too close to comfort.

Just like the numbers last year predicted smooth sailing for Biden.

Something is consistently wrong in polling data due to the MAGA effect from the last few years, and that’s disconcerting, because we really don’t know how to account for that accurately, it’s just very clear that it exists.

2 Likes

Slightly OT, but it was more bonkers than even I would have thought:

Excerpt (and far from the craziest):

“Peril” also describes the tense encounter in the Oval Office on January 5 when Trump pressured Pence to overturn the results of the election. While the showdown went on inside, the two men could hear MAGA supporters cheering and chanting outside near Pennsylvania Avenue.
“If these people say you had the power, wouldn’t you want to?” Trump asked.
“I wouldn’t want any one person to have that authority,” Pence said.
“But wouldn’t it be almost cool to have that power?” Trump asked, according to Woodward and Costa.
“No,” Pence said. He went on, “I’ve done everything I could and then some to find a way around this. It’s simply not possible.”
When Pence did not budge, Trump turned on him.
“No, no, no!” Trump shouted, according to the authors. “You don’t understand, Mike. You can do this. I don’t want to be your friend anymore if you don’t do this.”

8 Likes

I think that’s not correct. California Constitution:
Text of Section 10:

The Lieutenant Governor shall become Governor when a vacancy occurs in the office of Governor.

The Lieutenant Governor shall act as Governor during the impeachment, absence from the State, or other temporary disability of the Governor or of a Governor-elect who fails to take office.

The Legislature shall provide an order of precedence after the Lieutenant Governor for succession to the office of Governor and for the temporary exercise of the Governor’s functions.

The Supreme Court has exclusive jurisdiction to determine all questions arising under this section.

1 Like

I’m going to suggest that polling is skewed because if you agree to share your opinion with a polling firm or agency then it’s not just a one time deal. It’s constant calls asking you the same damn questions. It borders on an abusive relationship.
And then there’s the scam factor. How many people answer their phone when it’s an unknown number?

Staying on the topic of Elder who in CA is stumping for him?

3 Likes

I think Andy Borowitz understands trumPP’s mindset better than anyone. At least his take doesn’t cause out of control agita.

PALM BEACH (The Borowitz Report)—In a blistering attack on another former Commander-in-Chief, Donald J. Trump called George W. Bush “ungrateful,” telling reporters, “I kept him from being the worst President in history.”

“When he left office, he was at the bottom of the list of Presidents—I mean, the very, very bottom,” he said. “Then I got into office and changed all that.”
“I worked hard, day in, day out, to keep Bush from being the worst,” he said. “He’s given me no credit for that whatsoever. This should never be allowed to happen in this country.”

Despite doing Bush “this incredible favor,” Trump said, “I have never got so much as a thank-you note from that ungrateful bastard. I don’t know, maybe he’s too busy with his so-called paintings to write.”

Trump called Bush’s warnings about domestic terrorism during a speech on the twentieth anniversary of 9/11 “totally out of line.” He added, “When he was President, there were terrorists all over the world. I brought terrorism jobs back to the U.S.A.”

@irasdad

10 Likes

God Donald really is a teenage girl.

7 Likes

You’re no doubt right, and now would be a good time to learn the name of the current Lt. Gov.

Good morning sweet ladies!

8 Likes

Good question. Darrel Issa, maybe? Kimberly Guilfoyle?

2 Likes

But the national polling was pretty close at the end. State polling was off. Trump won in the EC. California doesn’t have an EC - obviously. I think the CA polling numbers are pretty good.

3 Likes

I’m seeing this as another instance when Aesop was correct: “A man is known by the company he keeps”. And then this more expanded definition by William J.H. Boetcker, “A man is judged by the company he keeps, and a company is judged by the men it keeps, and the people of Democratic nations are judged by the type and caliber of officers they elect.”

2 Likes

There is a negative tilt to the board today. This always seems to happen when it looks good for Democrats, out come the “what ifers” to try and mute any good feelings we might have.

Good to see you, LGB. Hope all is well in your world.

4 Likes
Comments are now Members-Only
Join the discussion Free options available