Biden Warns Californians They’ll Get A ‘Trump Clone’ If Newsom Loses Recall: ‘It’s Not A Joke’

Are you still seeing smoky skies from wildfires?

hey you, I voted this morning

She was drop-dead gorgeous in her youth.

2 Likes

ANd? sO GEt MoORe vOtEs iN b4 pOllS CLosE!

1 Like

that’s it kiddo, keep swingin’

Maybe barbecue him bit by bit over JFK’s eternal flame and Republicans can line up for holy barbecue of their saviour.

did you get a dog?

2 Likes

Makes one really wonder when people who are considered important and serious enough that their opinions actually matter are going to wake the fuck up and start saying things like “you know what? I think these motherfuckers may have entirely abandoned the social contract…”

Those of us who don’t count who have been screaming it at the clouds for the past several years don’t seem to be making any progress injecting it (pun intended) into the societal consciousness.

1 Like

538 on the likelihood of a polling error big enough for Newsom to lose. They don’t give a number, but say it is unlikely but not impossible for an error that big to happen. https://fivethirtyeight.com/live-blog/california-recall-election-newsom/#316238

When people realize this flap started over the (very expensive) dinner he had with influential friends after he’d announced the state was in lockdown, it becomes clear the Rs were looking for an excuse. He didn’t steal from the state government, sure didn’t cheat on his wife, he had a meal when he should have stayed home with a mask on.

1 Like

The way the recall rules are structured, where with just 15% of the prior year’s votercount needed to sign a petition, whenever the populace is feeling stressed, you can take a free swing at the governor. The source of the stress can be power embargoes, pandemic countermeasures, breathing smoke from wildland fires for weeks, whatever. But once the stress is there the door is open for a recall attempt. That French Laundry group meal, while stupid and ill-advised, was not a gating event for the recall. This recall attempt was going to happen regardless; it costs them “only” about $30 million to get the recall signatures, while the state pays for the election (about $500 million).

2 Likes

Brilliant strategy! Now can you package it to sell it nationwide?

1 Like

I wouldn’t be so sure about that. Seeing Newsom flouting the covid rules they already hated with a bunch of his rich elitist libruhl friends probably drove quite a few Republicans to sign the petitions who wouldn’t have bothered otherwise.

3 Likes

I’ll have to look up the exact sequence of events (when Newsom Laundried, when the recall time to get petition signups was extended, when Newsom knew he’d drawn a booby prize of a judge on that case), but as I alluded above, the california recall rule is a free swing at the sitting governor whenever the populace are feeling antsy. It just takes money, and not that much (scaled to CA population). 538 is acknowledging that they may have over-emphasised the French Laundry angle:

We (myself, perhaps, included) have sometimes covered this recall a bit like the French Laundry photo made things automatically happen. But, of course, the recall drive began long before that picture went viral, and that photo only mattered because serious political infrastructure was already in place to take advantage of that moment. https://fivethirtyeight.com/live-blog/california-recall-election-newsom/#316314

1 Like

A couple days before Thanksgiving 2020. Total douchebag move.

1 Like

Well, with almost 7 million votes counted, “No” is ahead more than 2 to 1. I think we can all relax. Newsom is still a douche but also still governor.

MSNBC and Kornacki just called it NO.

3 Likes

So far, with 64% of the vote in 5.53 million have voted against, 2.77 million voted for. Only 3.7 million bothered to vote for a replacement.

3 Likes

I hope someone noted the coordinates of where they dumped Bin Laden (it’s a secret if they did). Dump Trump in the same spot.

2 Likes

You’d think the fact that the billionaires ended up with a lunatic controlling the nuclear football, threatening their own existence (outside of their NZ underground bunkers, at least) would wake them the fuck up.

3 Likes
Comments are now Members-Only
Join the discussion Free options available