Biden Unveils Major Marijuana Reform, Including Pardons And Reviewing Drug’s Scheduling

President Joe Biden unveiled surprise, significant marijuana reform Thursday, announcing pardons for “all prior federal offenses of simple possession,” calling on governors to do the same with state charges and directing a review of marijuana’s scheduling under federal law. 

This is a companion discussion topic for the original entry at https://talkingpointsmemo.com/?p=1434995
1 Like

First??

End of Reefer Madness

41 Likes

I wish this had happened when I was 16.

30 Likes

This is a most excellent October surprise. Kudos to the Biden administration!

51 Likes

Discobot is always first.

11 Likes

He asks governors (and presumably candidates) to follow.

12 Likes

Can’t wait to see which Republican legal foundation brings a suit to keep marijuana illegal. Probably by arguing that its decriminalization is a sop to Black voters, just like the loan forgiveness program.

34 Likes

22 Likes

Fighting this would be a gift to Democrats in the mid-terms, I think. It would really charge up younger voters, and even my octogenarian, very Republican mom thought marijuana should be legalized.

30 Likes

Most people think it should be legal, even some rednecks I know who would never smoke it.

17 Likes

If he’s done something about allowing pot businesses access to the banking system (at the moment, it’s an all cash business, leading to armed robbery and additional taxes - the IRS charges a 10% penalty if you pay in cash) that’d be news. This is very welcome (particularly the pardons) but just messing about at the edges of legalization.
Of course, California managed to complete screw up the legal marketplace (though to be fair a lot of that is due to cities messing up the permits for stores) and pushed the price of legal pot higher than illegal. Great job!

13 Likes

Meanwhile in other brain damage news.

36 Likes

This is a first big step towards allowing access to the banking system.

21 Likes

And a murder that’s being tried right now.

3 Likes

:woman_facepalming:

10 Likes

A rule change moving it off of schedule 1 drugs would have fallout impacts like access to banks.

Boring Joe, just blandly changing the face of the country one boring rule change at a time.

88 Likes

I’ve been tempted to grow it because I have the knowledge and ability, I just don’t want to spend time in prison.

4 Likes

It’s about damned time! He said, situated a few miles from the NH/MA border. For years NH’s state liquor monopoly siphoned untold millions from MA. Now the goose is on the other foot.

11 Likes

Que?

5 Likes

Peter Tosh smiles down on Joe

W/ obligatory Surgeon General warning :rofl::rofl:

14 Likes