Biden Unveils Commission To Study SCOTUS Reform | Talking Points Memo

Thanks for bringing it up.

2 Likes

Defund the Supremes

How very dare you!

8 Likes

They’ve been given 6 months to complete their deliberations.

6 Likes

Just wait ’til your father gets home.

8 Likes

Charles Koch can’t pay Rapey McBeerface $30 million not to take the congressional bribe money without violating (at least) 18 U.S.C. § 201(b)(1)(A) for the briber and § 201(b)(2)(A) for the bribed. Those are 15-year felonies with fines up to triple the amount of the bribe. You can imagine whatever nonsense you like about offshore bank accounts and such, but it ain’t happening. Take the congressional money and run, Boof.

7 Likes

Is this a Clarence “Coke can” Thomas joke?

4 Likes

What does Diana Ross have to do with this?

5 Likes

Not always, but I do try!

3 Likes

You misspelled “little dick.”

4 Likes

How about the iron gauntlet in a glove of spiked steel?

REFORM OR BE REFORMED

3 Likes

I’m guessing the average life expectancy for white males born in the U.S. at the time the Constitution was ratified was 40ish. Even if higher, SCOTUS justices were ‘term limited’ simply by dying off. The founders never envisioned the life spans enjoyed by those who’ve served on SCOTUS during the last 70 years.

7 Likes

Long Dong Silver could not be reached for comment.

1 Like

Just going to raise the issue that the mere fact a SCOTUS reform study is necessary suggests problems with the current SCOTUS. Major issues at that. You don’t form a three dozen member commission for minuscule reasons or merely because you need to add judges to the lower federal courts. Heck of a job, Roberts! And co-conspirators.

9 Likes

Yeah it’s like the Exec branch is saying “nice coequal branch of government you have there. It would be a shame if anything happened to it.”

8 Likes

Marbury vs Madison established the principle that some branches are more coequal than others. (h/t to @castor_troy and my ConLaw professor)

3 Likes

Misleading statistic. The only reason that the “average” life expectancy is lower historically is that people died younger, skewing the whole statistic.

What you want to focus on is the life expectancy of those who make it far enough along. So, for example, what are the odds of you living to be 70 if you’ve lived until 40. Things like that better show how long people were expected to live.

Thomas Jefferson, for example, lived to 83. Once you got past the hump and survived childhood, odds started going way up that you’d survive longer, particularly in the more privileged classes.

So, long way around to say that the Founders knew that they were looking at longer terms.

11 Likes

Declerk the Supreme Court?

2 Likes

Are you suggesting it’s not to express an appreciation for Norwegian Impressionist art?

I’ll have to munch on this…

6 Likes

I’ll just stick this in here.

I have taught E.S.L in Latin America and am familiar with the themes of translation and interpretation.

What Biden is saying here is:

"You have abused your FUCKING POWER "

4 Likes

Yeah I think it’s been established that the life expectancy in the past got skewed because so many children died as well as young women in childbirth.

6 Likes
Comments are now Members-Only
Join the discussion Free options available