Biden Unveils Commission To Study SCOTUS Reform | Talking Points Memo

I don’t want to count all my chickens in one basket, but it sounds like this could mean the GOP has to shorten SCOTUS to FUKD.

3 Likes

It is given six months from start to finish.

Sadly, I must tell you that people serving on the commission may be offered a croissant or two but not much more. Costs will be quite low and not subject to Republican approval.

8 Likes

“The topics it will examine include the genesis of the reform debate; the Court’s role in the Constitutional system; the length of service and turnover of justices on the Court; the membership and size of the Court; and the Court’s case selection, rules, and practices,” the White House announcement said.

13 Likes

I haven’t seen something so packed since Trump’s colon after that entire bucket of ‘Extra Crispy’.

16 Likes

Don’t forget their personalized Defund the Supremes coffee mugs.

6 Likes

At last I understand what that “Scream” emoji is for. :scream:

8 Likes

Six months - so by fourth quarter, we should have something. OK.

Funding - you know what they say about you get what you pay for… I guess there will be no jiggery pokery with funding, but then again, will that be the best outcome for a good and favorable report? I guess I just don’t want the thing to be ineffective.

2 Likes

Clarence Thomas is 72.

2 Likes

Fight for 21!

In 1869, when it went to nine, the US Population was 38.5 million. Now, it’s 335 Million.

That’d be terms of 20 years on, and one year as Chief on a rotating basis. Each President would appoint 1 or 2 new per year (Biden would start them all since 85 million people - the most in history - voted for him) in staggered terms.

That would now mean 21 Circuits - and the newest appointees (Trumpers) would need to back-fill some of those openings which would unfortunately dilute their influence in their current courts.

Oh, and everyone already on the Supreme Court for 21 years already gets transferred out to Circuits and Biden appoints their successor.

9 Likes

Indeed!
:scream_cat:

3 Likes

So these guys should be happy about the commission:

Term Limits | Fix the Court

And this should tell us why we need to do this (the sworn in dates):

United States Supreme Court Justices (thegreenpapers.com)

Federal justice appointments including SCOTUS should be term-limited rather than for life. Retiring justices should receive pensions and many of the benefits they had as active justices. The emeritus justices will be allowed to seek nomination to other positions if they desire to.

6 Likes

In this case I meant the oligarchs would bribe them to not retire!

2 Likes

That ain’t happening, would take a constitutional amendment, and these days that’s an impossibility.

6 Likes

That would require a constitutional amendment, which ain’t happening. They can, however, be required to take senior status. When a judge takes senior status, it opens up a seat on the active bench for a new nominee. Senior judges get reduced case loads, so it’s kind of a semi-retirement. Senior circuit judges also don’t get to sit on en banc panels. I would be totally fine requiring senior status for Supreme Court justices at the latter of age 70 or 10 years on the SCOTUS bench.

12 Likes

Biden is upping the pressure and that is a good thing.

13 Likes

That would be highly illegal and impossible to conceal. Bribery by Congress appropriating funds for the purpose is perfectly lawful. Call it the Supreme Court Pension and Cleaning House Act of 2021.

5 Likes

I think you can count on the commission to reach sensible conclusions.

But what anyone will actually do with those conclusions, or when they will do it … these are an entirely separate matter.

5 Likes

We must be thinking of different oligarchs!

3 Likes

We’ll, not sure “free” is the right word here. Let’s just say “time on his hands” and wait to see what he and the DA work out…

4 Likes
Comments are now Members-Only
Join the discussion Free options available