Biden Touts Lead And Claims Voter Mandate, But Doesn’t Declare Full Victory | Talking Points Memo

Former Vice President Joe Biden stopped just short of declaring himself the winner of the presidential election, but expressed confidence that his victory was inevitable, given the current trends in vote count.

This is a companion discussion topic for the original entry at https://talkingpointsmemo.com/?p=1343141

“I know watching these vote tallies on TV moves very slow, and as slow as it goes, it can be numbering."

Surely he said “numbing.”

8 Likes

“The numbers tell a clear and convincing story. We’re going to win this race.”

He’s right – and it was a fine speech for the (lack of) occasion.

I’d have done it several hours earlier in the day – and I’d have had Kamala Harris say what she wanted to say.

But he did say this:

“They’ve given us a mandate for action on COVID, the economy, climate change, systemic racism.”

Which was a good thing to say.

And he did mention some aspects of transition-planning, which was also good.

And there are good people already being lined up for important positions – but it’s obviously a good idea not to name anyone before the race is called!

15 Likes

Yes, he did.

He made a few mistakes as he spoke, but they were trivial and that was not one of them.

3 Likes

I think of Meadows as a spineless oaf, but I think I’d rather have him around than Navarro, Kudlow and Trump screwing around unsupervised.

6 Likes

Surely Atlas has been exposed multiple times by now. He will find his herd

11 Likes

Have Kudlow and Navarro been heard from lately?

5 Likes

Oh dear, Atlas might have brought it back to the Hoover Institution! Heaven forfend!

10 Likes

The greatest minds in the conservative noosphere may be at risk! This is a risible tragedy!

5 Likes

So wait, he didn’t mock someone with disabilities? Or brag about his greatest victory ever? Or claim he was suing Ohio for a fraudulent vote count in favor of Trump? Hmmmm… doesn’t sound very Presidential at all.

16 Likes

2 Likes

Biden did not mention Trump by name once.

That’s how you get under a narcissist’s thin skin.

19 Likes

Meadows has the virus. Is it wrong that I don’t care?

16 Likes

The CBS anchor accidentally referred to Biden as “the president” and I felt a sensation of calm wash over me.

16 Likes

Please buy an appropriate hallmark card right now!

3 Likes

“Get well soon. Not.” That strikes the right tone, I think. :laughing:

9 Likes

Can we - including TPM - just start referring to him as President-elect Biden? FFS.

14 Likes

Starting with this post. :clap: :clap: :clap:

3 Likes

I noticed that too. And she didn’t seem to be in any hurry to correct herself.

1 Like

I am very happy see Joe Biden winning. However, my sister asked what are the plans to fumigate the White House. What a good question. The White House is probably running rampant with coronavirus. It is crime that the people’s house is now a death house. Trump and his administration should be jailed for this crime.

11 Likes