Biden Says He Doesn’t Actually Know What Hunter Did In Ukraine: ‘I Trust My Son’ | Talking Points Memo

If they weren’t using this they would’ve found something else. They’re all in for Trump,no matter what, because their own asses are on the line.

I’ve ‘errands’ to do, but question

Is age an important issue for a candidate and if so, why?

What has been the tireless focus of Trump/Giuliani/Barr/Graham/Nunes et alia? What else have they done than nurture this magot into a full blown shit eating fly?

It’s the Ukraine. It’s beyond Biden. No matter which other Democrat might be the frontrunner, the battle will already be lost in the Senate trial. Democrats must cease their hand wringing wimpiness. They must forcefully point out that this blanket the Republicans have imported from the Ukraine is all about covering Trump’s ass in the senate.

I can’t risk choosing as champion a candidate in decline of body or mind.

Who of us past 60 have not witnessed the sudden and surprising collapse of those around 80?

First, if one were to imagine a combined Sanders-Warren candidate (not realistic, I realize, but just as a point to demonstrate the strength of the progressive part of the party), he/she would come pretty close to a majority and clearly would best all of the other candidates’ percentages. Since I said nothing about purity or anything that implied such a demand, perhaps I might note that the scolding-type comments such as this one are a potential problem, as all they do is piss the progressives off, not to mention reveal the purity motives of the scolder. Do you really see that as a good, winning strategy? Also, as I mentioned upthread, I wasn’t at all speaking about Biden. Finally, who Sanders and Warren supporters might turn to if either one of them dropped out would probably depend a great deal on who their preferred candidate endorsed.

2 Likes

We agree…

Not giving oxygen means Biden must pivot to a policy issue of national interest when asked about Hunter. Politicians do this all the time. Biden needs to work on that. What he cannot do is go into daddy mode & express how much he trust his son.

He can even delve in & ask what specifically they want to know.

Are you asking if I got my job the job? No, I did not.
Are you asking if I helped the company? No, I did not.
Are you asking if the investigation found I used my political office to support the company? No, I did not.

Then move on…

I don’t think we are giving oxygen to this smear campaign, the public is asking. Just as John McCain had to say his child was adopted & of Indian descent, not black American. Once he told the facts & addressed it head on, the public moved on.

Biden is not doing that.

Wrong.

Biden is in a defensive crouch, because of misstatements that Biden keeps making. That’s the point you steadfastly refuse to accept.

3 Likes

Nope. The ONLY reason is because you legitimize the narrative of “gaffes” etc., when we should be saying “fuck that noise” and refusing to accept that it’s even a mistake or problem. Take a lesson from the GOP for once and learn from what clearly and undeniably works for them and beats us every time.
It’s way past time for team Dem/lib to learn how to be a cohesive, supportive, circle-the-wagons party or movement, instead of undermined by ideologues whose pious, myopic adherence to their high-horsed purist orthodoxy should triumph over practical reality. Instead, every time the right wing attacks the moderates those people derisively call “neoliberals”, as if the right wing’s use of “liberal” as a pejorative wasn’t fancy enough for them, they consider it chum in the water and join right in. It’s why we lose, why we lose, why we lose. “Oh but it’s our diversity and we have a big tent blah blah blah.” So what? We can be diverse and disagree, but the one thing we can’t disagree about is whether we defend each other, compromise with each other and develop a comprehensive overall identity and platform. No successful army marches the way the Dems/liberals have been marching, each to their own drum, everyone the smartest soldier on the squad, this brigade despising that brigade. It’s absolute nonsense, and instead of realizing and admitting the problems it causes, some are so hellbent on denying the problem that their answer to it is to double down. We’re going to hand Trump 2020 on a silver fucking platter if it continues.

Based on polls, either Warren or Sanders. Who I have concerns about as I don’t believe either can win a national race, each for different reasons.

Perhaps, Klobuchar can rise up?

Oh my, where’s my fainting couch, something “doesn’t look good”. Fuck that. If we’re going to repeat Republican talking points merely because something doesn’t look good or gives people the vapors then any battle we have against them is already lost. One day people on the “left” might stop punching themselves in the face when conservatives tell them to, appears today wasn’t that day.

It’s a personal question, but who are you voting for in '20?

She has to win down south and with minority voters.

Bernie faced the same problem in '16 and though Clinton didn’t get Florida in the general, it says a lot, that Sanders was thumped by her, in that state’s primary.

I’m voting for the Democratic nominee.
I’d prefer, in order:
Warren Sanders Buttiegieg Biden

I have none of the concerns about personal corruption with these candidates that I had with some in 2016.

I also see this group as genuinely empathetic people who have the needed political chops.

I do have fears about their individual vulnerabilities…but… Oh…well

1 Like

She’s seventy years old

He’s seventy eight and is (technically) recuperating from a heart attack.

What is your point, and I’ve seen you make many good ones: Biden is 77 and displays clear signs of mental decline. Contrary to the treatises of supplement companies there is no recovery to be hoped for.

Sanders is 78 and does not look physically well. He has had a heart attack. However, I see no such signs of mental decline as I do with Biden. I can look back to the midst of WWII where Churchill had a heart attack and Roosevelt persevered through heart failure and yet they led us to victory.

Ask me which is more important in a presidential candidate between mind and body and I’ll pick a sound mind every day.

Warren is 70 and is as bright and vibrant as Biden was 10 years ago. Then there is the basic truth that a 70 year old woman poses much less a risk of health related vulnerabilities than two men aged 77 and 78 respectively.

I’m not happy with the ages of the top tier Democrats but there they are.

I left out young Pete. I don’t know him like the others. I know them and trust that I know what to expect of them. I have nothing about Pete in particular to worry about other than I know him less well than I did John Edwards and that worries me because Edwards was the biggest political mistake I’ve made in my life.

1 Like

I’ve an appointment, but lemme be sure that I’m understanding this: though Sanders is physically in bad shape, his mind is in tip top shape, yes?

I’m not seeing signs of dementia in Sanders.
Edited to add this from my prior post for clarity:

I’m not happy with the ages of the top tier Democrats but there they are.

1 Like

ok…

Buttigieg utterly lacks any political chops, whatsoever.

1 Like

I confess, Buttiegieg isn’t clear to me yet. I know these other candidates better. He does show some savvy though. And he isn’t a vacuous twit like Beto.

I don’t want to sound like a supporter but I don’t wish to knock a candidate without reason.

Comments are now Members-Only
Join the discussion Free options available