Biden’s Nom For DOJ Civil Rights Head Faces Contentious Confirmation Hearing | Talking Points Memo

She should use that high tech lynching line.

And, the fact that you don’t like her politics is utterly irrelevant in a confirmation, is she capable and competent and legal, that’s all, because the President is entitled to his choices. You don’t like it GOP? TFB.

And that should be a part of every Democrats presentation/questioning.

5 Likes

What is infuriating, in addition to watching a person of quality and gravitas get slandered by old white racists, is the fact that there are Democrats who continue to insist that the way forward must be bipartisan and compromising. How do you move forward when one party is nothing but performance art? Really, really bad performance art at that.

This is just abhorrent, and it is not made less so by my memory of the bipartisan confirmation of Jeff Sessions - thanks to Joe Manchin. This stuff puts me off my eggs - I should never read any of this before breakfast.

18 Likes

This should be a routine uneventful hearing for qualified nominees, but Republicans will make it a spectacle. Cruz, Hawley, Graham, Cotton, Blackburn, Kennedy, Grassley, Lee, Cornyn, Tillis, Sasse -what a crew.

15 Likes

Anyone who has been paying any attention to politics since they embraced the southern strategy during the civil rights era.

7 Likes

Have we finally reached the point where Republican performative outrage is no longer important?

So they are outraged at this nominee, so what? They are outraged at every nominee. Josh Harley has voted down every single one (I think). Are we finally, finally at the point where their antics are ignored by the Very Serious People of Washington?

20 Likes

I think eventually a decent, competent government that respects and promotes equal rights across the board in all concerns has to emerge, or internecine warfare will be the new norm. The current polarization and rift between the progressive and retrograde factions that comprise our society is likely permanent, and will surely get worse as time goes by. And the only way out of that is to let a group of states secede and pursue their authoritarian, ammosexual, homophobic, racist style of life. Minorities, gays, atheists and the educated class will have to migrate away from that new nation, but they’ll be welcomed and flourish in the new progressive nation. Eventually the noxious, dangerous presence on our border of those we exiled will necessitate the initiation of total war, maybe nuclear annihilation.

4 Likes

Well, that way, they’re only going after “women” as opposed to “black.”

Oh, wait, that way they’re going after black people as opposed to women

Um, wait, that’s not coming out right, maybe that way they’re going after Democrats as opposed to black women. There, that’s it, right???

2 Likes

:expressionless:

8 Likes

I live in hope

10 Likes

Well, that might put us all off our eggs, and hash browns, and bacon, and toast, and juice, and bowl of fruit and granola, and coffee, entirely Well, maybe not the coffee.

Thanks steviedee

2 Likes

O/T Q belivers were right again…caught red handed

14 Likes

when Democrats opposed Trump judicial nominees who were women or minorities, they faced no such criticism,

Gee, Chuck, might have something to do with the level of qualification of the candidates in question?

6 Likes

Could have been worse. He could have been eating them.

Just sayin’…

5 Likes

You gotta stop doing drugs.

1 Like

But she won’t, because, unlike Clarence Thomas, she has a sense of history, a sense of perspective, and a sense of shame.

9 Likes

Clean as a whistle, baby!

Although the late 60s and 70s MIGHT have messed with some wiring here and there.

5 Likes

hahaha! Perhaps.

1 Like

But if you drive too cautiously and exactly follow all the rules, you can be pulled over for that too…

Do we really care what kind of bullcrap Grassley spouts? The only real question is whether we’ve got 50 votes.

7 Likes

Yeah, I know, just sayin, the Dems need to highlight explicitly the goppers hypocrisy and dishonesty and treachery and misogynistic racism.

2 Likes

Shirley Sherrod was another victim of this racist treatment. Obviously, Obama erred in replacing her. Lesson learned.

10 Likes
Comments are now Members-Only
Join the discussion Free options available