Biden On George Floyd Killing: ‘We Are A Country With An Open Wound’

WASHINGTON (AP) — Joe Biden said Friday that the “open wound” of systemic racism was behind the police killing of a handcuffed black man in Minnesota. Biden also accused President Donald Trump, without mentioning him by name, of inciting violence with a tweet that warned that protesters could be shot.

This is a companion discussion topic for the original entry at https://talkingpointsmemo.com/?p=1311618

That was a beautiful, welcome, much needed oratory.

Thank You, President Biden.

27 Likes

We thought it was good, too.

13 Likes

OTOH…

Mark Zuckerberg silent as Trump uses Facebook and Instagram to threaten ‘looting’ will lead to ‘shooting’

20 Likes

It would be good to see a concerted exodus from FB when this election is over. En Masse.
Some folks have discussed a new site called “Friends Book” for all the FB fugitives to gather their circles again, but that is pure speculation apparently.
Still, imagine if FB lost a hundred million faces overnight.
Just the talk of it could crash that overvalued stock price and poor Mark would have to be a millionaire or something common again.
Call me crazy, but it sounds mahvelous…

22 Likes

Finally, somebody starts talking like the damned President.

16 Likes

Sociopath sympatico…

4 Likes

Another stupid billionaire who thinks that money gives him more frontal lobe convolutions.

11 Likes

“But her emails his gaffes!”

12 Likes

oh so smooth lizard brains…

5 Likes

Like Trump, Trump’s ally, Mark Zuckerberg, has no bottom. And make no mistake: they are allies.

8 Likes

It should be called Foxbook

3 Likes

The first part was halting, the second part was very well done. Just gotta realize that Joe is not Barack in his speaking style. But Joe’s decency shines through.

And my guess is that Joe’s decency and competence is exactly what is needed right now, not just to win the election, but to crush Trump and his boot licking sycophants in the republican party.

18 Likes

Joe Biden is already my President. Donald Trump never was my President.

12 Likes

This is beyond an open wound.This is gangrene.
Gangrene is a foul-smelling discharge leaking from a sore which is Trump and the RNC.

7 Likes

Yeah; that’s what I meant.

3 Likes

quick vent:
the open wound is TRUMP
A friggin infection on humanity and the only “legal” way to kill it off is the election.
staying legal staying legal
friggin laws.
lol

1 Like

OT: ad idea -->
Trump saying “What have you got to lose?” about hydroxychloroquine
Cut to graphic about studies showing more likely to die if you have it administered
Trump saying “What have you got lose?” to African Americans pre-2016 election
Cut to George Floyd
Trump/Pence 2020: What have you got to lose? Everything!

10 Likes

Mrs. VH has an account, but I’ve never been interested in FB, because I’m an old curmudgeon that doesn’t give a shit about my relatives’ grandkids’ graduation or the trip they took to Irkutsk and how grandpa nearly got eaten by a Lake Baikal giant catfish. It’s bad enough I have to put up with these Chronicles of Barsetshire length Christmas letters, without having to ponder the daily exuberance over where they went out for dinner. Bah, humbug.

21 Likes

I think that you both need to combine your thoughts. Trump is the gangrene in the open wound. Trump is the sign of the rot that the GOP won’t clean up and won’t even acknowledge. If Trump were the open wound, that would imply the wound wasn’t there before Trump and as Biden pointed out, there’s over 400 years of precedent that has yet to be adequately addressed.

6 Likes