Biden Calls Out Manchin And Sinema Over Reconciliation Blocks

Congress is back in session, but we’re continuing what began as a recess-time series of evening briefings on the reconciliation negotiations. Check in here to find out how the sausage-making is going. 

This is a companion discussion topic for the original entry at https://talkingpointsmemo.com/?p=1391890
1 Like

Shorter Biden: Sen. Kyrsten Sinema (D-AZ) is “the devil”.

5 Likes

Biden needs to be representing–and to be SEEN as representing–a country not spiraling into fascism (He needs Voting Rights assurance) and Climate Change Denial (he needs the Bipartisan Infrastructure Bill and the BBB Package) when he tackles the Glasgow Climate Summit early next month.

20 Likes

Biden should be doing more of this, politely explaining what people are saying and how it’s affecting what he hopes to get done. Lay it at their feet, then they can deal with the blowback. And, what is Sinema thinking? Letting the wealthy and corporations get away with the huge benefits the tax code pushes towards them is the Republican position, and it’s not going to get her reelected in Arizona. People won’t forget if she continues to trample the Democratic bills, especially if Republicans gain some control and there are no bills in the second half of Biden’s term.

16 Likes

“The Devil Wears White Go-Go Boots, Black Tights, A High-Slit Periwinkle Skirt, Furry Fuchsia Coat, Red Frames, Purple Wig, And Dangly Puff-Puff Earrings.”

(h/t Meryl Streep)

26 Likes

Likelihood that Sinema won’t wear this to the next floor vote: < 11 percent.

7 Likes

I wish he’d said “Bless her heart.”

18 Likes

FIFY, Joe…

2 Likes

I know how sausage is made. It’s actually quite efficient and not all that unpleasant to watch.

Watching the GOP congressional members is more like watching a fatberg accumulation blocking a London sewer.

16 Likes

God damn it, comrades in this and other threads, stop it with the “needs” and “shoulds” and “ought tos” and “argle bargle well here’s what I woulda done!”.

WE ARE NOT IN JOE’S SHOES.

And he hasn’t lost this bigger game just yet. Hold the god-damned line.

27 Likes

6 Likes
17 Likes

Thank you. I am sick of the criticisms. What other President has faced what he has on his plate and the obstructionism he has to deal with? Don’t nitpick. don’t second guess. Support him. Write and call and email anyone who needs to hear about that support.

19 Likes

Can we please stop with the “do you want this as an email” surveys?! What are they going to do, email us all of the stories and eliminate the chat?

4 Likes

Kyrsten Sinema is the devil, and Joe Manchin is a friend of mine. A friend of the devil is a friend of mine. I spent the night in Utah in a cave up in the hills. She took her $20 dollars back and vanished in the air. And still didn’t tell us what she would agree to.

Or something like that.

1 Like

[quote=“heart, post:13, topic:213259”]
What other President has faced what he has on his plate and the obstructionism he has to deal with?

The DC press covers the controversy, not the policy details. Very much like CRT, Abortion, Climate change and other policy-based news.

11 Likes

So you can’t tax wealth because, no matter how many times Warren brings it up, it’s not Constitutional.

But, could you make the tax rate on someone’s income dependent on whether or not they have a specific level of wealth? So Besos/Musk/Hanson/etc pay a 75% rate as long as they’re still billionaire rocket boys?

Asking for the bottom 99%.

5 Likes

Seriously. That carpet from the Johnny Depp Fear and Loathing movie was less eye-piercing.

1 Like

:notes: Start reconciliatin’ but I take my time… :notes:

:notes: …we just might pass a bill…toni-ight :notes:

3 Likes

Interesting - so property taxes are unconstitutional? And do I get a refund for all the taxes I’ve paid on the value of my houses over the years? :thinking:

5 Likes
Comments are now Members-Only
Join the discussion Free options available