Ben Shapiro’s Hip-Hop Hypocrisy And White Male Grievance Lands Him On Top Charts For A Brief Moment

This article is part of TPM Cafe, TPM’s home for opinion and news analysis. It was originally published at The Conversation.

This is a companion discussion topic for the original entry at https://talkingpointsmemo.com/?p=1482214

“White supremacist Ben Shapiro.”

Pretty ironic when you think about it for a nanosecond.

36 Likes

True, no surprise, but I am rather surprised Shapiro had enough wits to make the play; guess it’s also true even a blind pig can find an acorn now and then.

6 Likes

Eminem bears a striking resemblance to Mos Def.

11 Likes

There are always Kapos.

10 Likes

It’s not the first time blatant racism has propelled an fartist to the top of music charts.

Fixed.

7 Likes

That’s not Eminem, guys…

7 Likes

I personally do not care for rap; never have. But I would listen to it 24/7 for the rest of my life, if it would make fascists like Shapiro disappear from the earth.

8 Likes

That opportunistic little shit is overdue for various kinds of aggressive karmic retribution.

16 Likes

Achingly superior nonentity was the beneficiary of the same scheme that puts conservative novels on the top of the NYT bestsellers’ list.

Why is nobody investigating the backgrounds of these so-called right wing figures - they didn’t get where they are on talent.

Nobody wonders why there is almost no such thing as a liberal radio host either. Funny.

Looks like Putin did his homework. We didn’t.

11 Likes

I could go through 4 of him before breakfast. The whole concept of the right wing being violent is what cows the population. Not me. I want their guts for garters.

3 Likes

I believe if his side actually wins, he’ll be the first to go. Classic fascism.

6 Likes

“In my view, and in the view of my music theorist father who went to music school

Typical of Ben Shapiro, he trips all over himself trying to make a logical argument.

15 Likes

Rap is a long way from my music…but, to Mr. Shapiro: if Rap/Hip-Hop isn’t music, then opera recitatives aren’t music either.

Rap doesn’t have complex melodies, but there is melody. There is definitely harmony underlying the poetry, just as with recitative.

My big complaint about Rap/Hip-Hop is that while it’s about rhythm, it almost never explores rhythm. It’s almost all in iambic pentameter. B-o-r-i-n-g.

10 Likes

No paywall:

20 Likes

32 Likes

22 Likes

We are all prisoners of the music we listen to when we are in our teenage and early adult years. As a result I have little regard for Rap. I am just too old. Most of the rythmns are fast enough for spinning so I do listen to it a lot and I find the recurring themes of greed, misogyny and self loathing to be depressing signs of our times. That some white guys are trying to appropriate those themes for a white racist incel audience is as expected as it is depressing. After all conservatives are derivative. Origninality escapes them.

Somebody will break out and return us to themes of love, romance and respect.

16 Likes

48 Likes

The right wing billionaire sociopaths took over the AM radio waves long before Putin showed up on the scene. The heirs of Goldwater and the John Birch Society may have recently made compact with Putin, since they are of similar mind, but the propaganda driving the stupid crazies was spewing long before Putin.

18 Likes
Comments are now Members-Only
Join the discussion Free options available