Axing Liz Cheney From Leadership Was A Quick Affair For the House GOP | Talking Points Memo

Weeks of drama over the GOP backlash that Rep. Liz Cheney (R) was receiving for refusing to endorse former President Trump’s lies about the election came to a head in a brief, private House Republican conference meeting Wednesday during which she was removed from GOP  leadership.

This is a companion discussion topic for the original entry at https://talkingpointsmemo.com/?p=1373696
1 Like

Axing Liz Cheney From Leadership Was A Quick Affair For the House GOP.

With an emphasis on the “Q” in quick.

28 Likes

“You can’t have a conference chair who recites Democratic talking points,” Jordan added.

Small “d”, Jim. Her “talking points” were about democracy, as in not authoritarianism, fascism, Trumpism.

43 Likes

Dems in disarray!

22 Likes

Or…

“You can’t have a conference chair who recites Democratic American talking points,” Jordan added.

35 Likes

“You can’t have a conference chair who recites Democratic talking points,” Jordan added.

“These people maintain that the Earth is spherical, that Jesus didn’t high-five dinosaurs, and that Americans landed on the moon,” he continued.

27 Likes

Liz Cheney Actually won! I demand an audit now! This vote was stolen! There was bamboo fiber in the ballots. This is just another case of PC cancel culture. But don’t worry Liz Cheney will be reinstated on 5 -August (pi)(e) day.

26 Likes

Vipers toss viper to the outer edge of the snake pit. Hissing occurs. Film at 11.

27 Likes

The voice vote was cowardly, but I expected nothing more.

21 Likes

For the win.

8 Likes

I’d say Cheney chose her course of action, and knew the probability was high for the consequences that befell her.

But actually she’s just a victim.

1 Like

None of these asshats has sufficient courage and integrity to go on the record with this. Just in case Liz is able to pull off a high-order miracle and save the GQP from minority regional party status, they want to be able to claim that they supported her.

When you decide to go after the king, you’d best be certain you are going to take him out. Liz wasn’t able to take him out, and so his sycophants (symbolically) killed her. It was just another exercise of lese majeste.

14 Likes

So where’s the thread on this very important hearing?

Listening to the Republicans on the House Oversight Hearing regarding Jan 6th is sickening. They are attempting to spin what we watched with our own eyes all to protect Trump. Trump in their eyes did nothing wrong- officer & others died of natural causes- absolute delusional.

— Zico (@WillowNBirch) May 12, 2021
25 Likes

Within 15 minutes of when the meeting started, Cheney was voted out of her position as Republican Conference Chair, the third-ranking role.

The ouster was performed via a voice vote, and a request that it be followed up with a recorded vote was not accepted, members told reporters after the meeting.

McCarthy wants to maintain narrative.

15 Likes

This move is going to massively raise Cheney’s profile. They are basically amplifying her megaphone. Their logic, as usual, is impeccable.

18 Likes

“The vote was overwhelming,” Rep. Jim Jordan (R-OH) said.

Of course it was, you treacherous coward. I’m glad to see the GQP eating its own. More like this, please.

10 Likes

It was smart politics, but the initiator is clueless to consequences.

It and 1/6 will still be relevant.

7 Likes

You know, I’m beginning to think we are wasting our time trying to compromise and negotiate with these folks regarding infrastructure and the voting bill and all the rest.

29 Likes

I’m glad Gym Jordan’s quote achieved so much attention upthread.

It shows how depraved this Party is.

6 Likes

Dems in dismay. Democracy in disarray.

6 Likes