Atty For Man Cracked Skull During Anthem Cites Trump’s Rhetoric

An attorney for a man who attacked a minor for wearing a hat during the national anthem so aggressively that he cracked the child’s skull said that his client thought he was acting on President Donald Trump’s orders.

This is a companion discussion topic for the original entry at https://talkingpointsmemo.com/?p=1241340
1 Like

President Insanity Defense made me do it.

24 Likes

Complete bullshit. Brockway did not attack anyone who could have fought back. These FF never do. His “damaged brain” was obviously capable of targeting his victim, but too damaged to know it was wrong. FTFF “attorney” and his client.

40 Likes

““Trump never necessarily says go hurt somebody…””

This is false and should not remain un-corrected in the article.

30 Likes

I don’t think that lawyer is helping his client’s case.
And for some reason, I kind of have a suspicion he’s not really trying to.

14 Likes

Trump is an evil alien force that somehow got loose on the ship and is making everyone fight with each other. He feeds off hate. It’s time to slap the antigravs around him and transport him into space with the widest possible degree of dispersion.

21 Likes

It’s a quote from the lawyer.

14 Likes

Whether this defense is true or not, it’s sad on multiple levels, not least that the motivation is so plausible.

10 Likes

The dude is on a 10 year suspended sentence for another violent incident, so there seems to be a history.

20 Likes

That might be the most embarrassing legal argument I’ve ever encountered. Getting fired and getting assaulted are different things!

6 Likes

Stenography is not journalism, or so I keep hearing.

2 Likes

Whole new genre. Electing Donald has done so much to our country and none of it good.

3 Likes

“His commander in chief

STOP RIGHT THERE.

Do we really need to have more civics lessons for lawyers and explain to them how our fucking government works?

24 Likes

He slammed a child to the ground so hard he was bleeding from his ears, had a seizure and broke his skull. This was someone who flew into what he thought a righteous rage? He did this to a child who was being cheeky. Oh and this guy has a history of violent assault. But then again Trump inspires people like this after all, Trump praised the Congressman from Montana who body slammed a reporter.

45 Likes

He heard a squeaky voice…that cringe worthy sound would drive me insane.

1 Like

This is essentially what Cesar Sayoc, who sent a bunch of pipe bombs to Democratic congressional leaders, claimed at his sentencing hearing yesterday as well.

25 Likes

Brockway was allegedly severely injured in a car accident and has impaired judgment as a result.

Let’s just take judicial notice that all Trump supporters have impaired judgment

28 Likes

The real Trump Derangement Syndrome.

26 Likes

I don’t think this legal argument goes anywhere.

4 Likes

IANAL, but can there ever potentially be an inflection point where Trump becomes legally liable for inciting violence? I would assume virtually anything he says short of “please, kill X person now for me” is protected speech, but is that true?

4 Likes