Assault Weapons Ban Stalls In Blue VA Statehouse

Four Democrats on the Virginia Senate Judiciary Committee joined with Republicans Monday to kill an assault weapons sale ban that had already passed in the House of Delegates and was championed by Gov. Ralph Northam (D).

This is a companion discussion topic for the original entry at https://talkingpointsmemo.com/?p=1291817

As long as they’re blue it doesn’t matter how they vote on issues!

2 Likes

Guns of all types have become as American as apple pie.
There will be too much push back if any legislation is attempted to curb any style of gun or rifle.
I’m shocked that the bump stock ban went through, but it is not illegal to own any if you bought them before the cut-off date. And they sold a shitload of them after they announced they were going to be banned.
Beto saying he was coming for your assault rifle is what killed his candidacy. He had no chance after that.

1 Like

5 Likes

You mean because most elected democrats don’t have a single vertebrae, much less a whole backbone? Yeah, pretty much.

3 Likes

Well, are we sure they’re True Democrats?

Correction: “some”, not “most”. It was only the 4 of them, but that’s all it took to spoil the soup this time.

2 Likes

I got this nice note from my senator in Virginia All I can say is fuck you very much

3 Likes

It only took one Democrat to kill the public option.

8 Likes

I don’t know, but selling out what you ran on to appease a vocal, conservative bloc within your constituency sounds like True Democrats to me. Third Way dems probably busted in their shorts thinking how brilliantly strategic this retreat in the face of victory was.

3 Likes

This is very disappointing.

With gun regulation being a key component of Mike Bloomberg’s charge, It will be extremely interesting to see how significant a part this plays in tomorrow night’s debate.

2 Likes

NRA money is a hell of a drug.

2 Likes

Own goal on this one. It was a poorly-written piece of legislation that would have re-defined basically every pistol as an assault weapon, far from the intent which they went in on.

4 Likes

You should be proud of a politician who isn’t spending $65 on a haircut./s

Where are you seeing this?

It was in the magazine limits. Anything that was “capable” of having a magazine greater than 12 rounds would have been swept up in restrictions. Since almost all pistols have the capability to accept extended mags, your glock would magically have become an assault weapon.

1 Like

Those weren’t from the existing Virginia code?

It shall be unlawful for any person to import, sell, possess or transfer the following firearms: the Striker 12, commonly called a “streetsweeper,” or any semi-automatic folding stock shotgun of like kind with a spring tension drum magazine capable of holding twelve shotgun shells. A violation of this section shall be punishable as a Class 6 felony.

Considering that Bloomberg supported Warren’s Senate opponent, a man who had an A rating from the NRA, that’s pretty much all that needs to be said

2 Likes

Anyone else think that Bloomberg’s past with gun regulation will hinder him in the general?
That’s if he makes it that far.

1 Like

Virginia Democrats can’t seem to shake their reputation as closet Republicans.

2 Likes