As Lockout Begins, Baseball’s Hall of Fame Blacklists Curt Flood—Again | Talking Points Memo

Like those to the Men’s Room during the seventh-inning stretch.

7 Likes

Just be glad they haven’t made it a pay system…yet. The indignity of being made to pay again for $12 beers.

5 Likes

The thing that impresses me the most about Santo is 5 consecutive gold gloves, led the league in walks 4 times, best on base percentage twice. If he could have played another year or two I think he could have got in first year of eligibility.

Although third-basemen have always been rather underrepresented in HOF. I think I’ll watch some you-tubes of Brooks Robinson, 1970 World Series to get the bad taste out of my mouth.

4 Likes

Not only a rouge’s gallery at the Hall but a wing for the steroid era.
Yes baseball is a conservative sport and many of the owners lean right, just look at a Steinbrenner and Marge “ the Nazis were good at the beginning” Schlott. When MLB moved the All Star game from the Atlanta suburbs to Denver a number of people were surprised because they are such a conservative institution but they were listening to their players.

6 Likes

In all the world on earth in heaven and hell there is nothing more evil and obscene than right wing billionaires.

7 Likes

I’ve never paid to see an owner. These Clowns don’t realize the players are the show, without players they have nothing except the stadium paid for by taxpayers.

7 Likes

Perhaps “the taxpayers” should put some strings on that money before doling it out.

5 Likes

Same billionaire fucktards that own the NFL and black ball excellent players like Colin Kapernick while excusing the lies and endangerment of white QB Rogers. Hope the NLRB gets involved as the arbitration starts.

8 Likes

Few things make more angry than stadium subsidies. They build the new fancy stadium with lots of luxury boxes on the taxpayer dime, and then set the prices so high that only lawyers and executives on expense account can go to the games. Last time I went to a game I dared to buy a hot dog and a beer, and that set me back 18 dollars, and I understand they have raised the prices significantly since then.

9 Likes

The billionaires have access to loans. Cities should never subsidize sports stadiums. LA has done it. Along with forgiveness of taxes for a number of years.

8 Likes

And most of the taxpayers actually watch on TV, for all care they could build a sport complex in North Dakota and broadcast all games from there, the great majority of fans will be none the wiser.

4 Likes

/me Puts on pun waders.

3 Likes

Yeah, I fear it will be Ruthless…

2 Likes

Pete Rose isn’t in the Hall of Fame because as Player/Manager of the Reds, he was actively betting on Reds games. Betting on games you have the position and ability to influence gets you a lifetime ban from all aspects of MLB, after the Chicaco “Black Sox” scandal caused major problems for the sport.

Rose insists he never bet against the Reds… but there’s no way to corroborate that.

3 Likes

Of course they do. But they tend to think of the players as ‘the dancing bears’.

2 Likes

Irrelevant. As manager he was in a position to overcommit resources to win one particular game. Overuse the starter, use up the bullpen, use fielders who would normally be getting a rest day, etc.

4 Likes

Community+funded stadiums are an atrocity, but they’re also a creation of the owners and local politicians, not something you can lay at the feet of the players with any real equivalence.

Many of the players do give millions and millions back to their community foundations. I’m not saying that’s enough–charity can’t replace actual fair distribution of wealth–but it is giving back.

I get that it’s hard to sympathize with players who are millionaires, but It’s important to not let that lead to false equivalency between them and the owners.

4 Likes

Yup.

2 Likes

Speaking of Supreme Court decisions that give regulatory power to the states, thereby defeating federal efforts…

100 years of antitrust exemption for MLB. Yay?

Q: Why is Major League Baseball like a WW2 Tiger II heavy tank?

A: A Sherman can’t do anything to it.

4 Likes

So why was Messersmith nominated, twice, but Flood not even once, even though arguably he was a better player and more deserving, and didn’t get to be a free agent because of the blacklist? I see no reason but race.

1 Like
Comments are now Members-Only
Join the discussion Free options available