As Congress Revisits COVID Relief, 12M Face Loss Of Benefits

As legislators resume going through the motions of preparing to act on COVID-19 relief, economists and advocates are warning that millions of Americans could face a loss of benefits by the end of December if Congress fails to act.

This is a companion discussion topic for the original entry at https://talkingpointsmemo.com/?p=1347042

Can someone tell me the benefits of Trumpism at times like this?

11 Likes

Moscow Mitch is going to have to allow a relief package that actually provides help to working class individuals, state and local governments, and small businesses. He won’t be able to keep his caucus in line otherwise, too many represent states that are hurting and many will be facing re-election in 2 years.

9 Likes

Yeah, owning the libs isn’t going to cut it.

6 Likes

The Bipartisan group…headed by Joe Manchin & Susan Collins, is doomed for Success:

The group’s working title: $ 1.00 Tippers United.

4 Likes

Please don’t push the Republicans.
It is hard for them to figure out if they can get away with people dying, people losing their homes or apartments, businesses going under, people starving and still look like they care.
We just don’t understand.

3 Likes

There are none!

4 Likes

Of course, fixing these problems is the right thing to do for the people affected and for the economy. The problem is that the Republicans don’t want to make things ‘easier’ for Biden by doing anything positive. Their focus on party over anything means that the oath they took to govern for the people is irrelevant. Tgey really don’t care, as long as it might be politically beneficial to them.

5 Likes

Yertle needs to get off his fat ass and allow a vote on the HEROES Act passed last May by the House. Its been gathering dust on his desk for over five months and is desperately needed NOW!

6 Likes

“That’s the real war on Christmas” quipped Arnab Datta, a senior legislative counsel at Employ America. “It’s not just shameful, it’s gonna devastate the economy.”

Now that Biden has been elected that’s sort of the goal, no?

9 Likes

And McConnell has already said no.

5 Likes

“PUA, the benefit for gig workers, was not written with a policy to waive recoupment for overpayment, like most other unemployment insurance programs were. In other words, if someone has accidentally been overpaid for months due to an error by the agency or employer, the worker will owe that money back.“

I believe this is incorrect. My understanding is that Overpayments for unemployed workers receiving regular unemployment benefits have always been required to repay the amount unemployed.

3 Likes

Something we’ll hear from McConnell several hundred times over the next 4 years.

7 Likes

If America was a person I would put them on suicide watch.

4 Likes

Yes, it has. In fact I belong to a Facebook group of folks dealing with Wisconsin’s unemployment insurance disaster. After waiting months and finally getting UI, they receive a notice that says “Sorry, you were overpaid, you have 6 weeks to repay $,2000” And it’s pretty clear in the information on the website that if you’re overpaid, you pay back.

5 Likes

Moscow mitch not only has to change his mind and let the legislation come to a vote, he has to make sure that more than 20 members of his caucus vote for it, because it’s even money that trump will veto regardless of who at the executive branch is involved in the negotiations.

Isn’t there also a continuing-resolution deadline coming up in 10 days? I wouldn’t be surprised if trump and mitch just decided to shut everything down through the inauguration.

4 Likes

I think we understand all too well, unfortunately 70 some million folks seem to be living in some weird alternate reality.

4 Likes

It makes the Republicans feel like real men because they are causing people to die, lose their homes and many other nasty things.
I am not trying to be negative but when you have a political party who will not stand up to a coward and allow people to die, there is nothing kind I have to say.

5 Likes

Not blaming yourself when things go wrong.

6 Likes

It makes them feel like the opposite of cowards: they are the courageously heroes making “tough choices” between people’s lives and their donors’ bank accounts.

4 Likes