Arizona Republicans Gleefully Shoot Down Democrats’ Attempts To Repeal 1864 Abortion Ban

Arizona Republicans celebrated Wednesday after swatting down Democrats’ fourth attempt in two weeks to repeal the state’s near-total abortion ban, which the state Supreme Court upheld last week. 

This is a companion discussion topic for the original entry at https://talkingpointsmemo.com/?p=1486198

I’m starting to think the election may not be that close.

The bad faith actors in the gop, Russia, etc. will pour it on in the closing months.

25 Likes

My sister is cheering this on, as she prepares for the Rapture.
And tRump is the harbinger of that Rapture.

Oh, and Jesus saw dinosaurs.

I just can’t…
There’s no way to push back. It’s just over, trying to bring an iota of reality.
It’s going to have to play itself out one way or the other.
And I don’t mean Rapture or no Rapture. I mean, until a whole demographic is gone. They’ll be waiting for the end, and seeing all the omens that prove it’s coming, until the end of their time.

42 Likes

In other words: AZ Republicans Continue to Commit Political Suicide.

47 Likes

I love it when Trumpers and Maggots commit suicide in public!

16 Likes

The Repugs got way over-confident when they got that 6-3 majority on the Supreme Court and they are overreaching everywhere figuring they will get what they want from SCOTUS. It will probably backfire in many cases. GOTV!

16 Likes

They’re not really a circular firing squad anymore. They’re more along the lines of a, hell, I don’t know what you’d call them. But they’re all armed with these.

download-1

I urge them to take careful aim and carry on with complete abandon.

26 Likes

Keep diggin’, AZ Repubs, keep diggin’!!!

14 Likes

“The choice could not be more clear: If you support a law forces that forces a 12-year-old who’s been raped to give birth, then vote Republican,” De Los Santos said. “If you support repealing it and bringing the state into the 21st century, then vote Democrat. It’s that simple: 1864 vs. 2024.”

More of this, please.

48 Likes

Let’s hope that the local voters see it that way and vote these clowns out. Until the Legislature is cleaned out they will continue to eat away at anything the statewide voters pass. :frowning:

6 Likes

Take nothing for granted.

GOTV.

The Dems, every one of them, must run on this and the other GQP violations of normality. If we ignore these actions in an effort to take the high road, things will get even worse than they’re already headed to be.

35 Likes

My immediate reaction was the same, and then I think about the impact it’s going to have on women in AZ who can’t afford to travel out of state.

20 Likes

Well, that’s a good question. Is Arizona so gerrymandered that all these people are in safe seats? What’s behind their obvious attempt to rebuke the National party for its wavering? Or is this yet another instance of information-siloed creatures not reading outside their own tea leaves?

Marc Caputo’s column addresses the wayward Arizonans.

“We know Trump. We trusted Trump. He got Roe repealed,” the abortion opponent said. “This law is too harsh. We lose too much with it in November: the presidency, a Senate seat, and the legislature. The fact is these small-town lawmakers need to get with the program or their career is going to wind up in the trunk of a car. It’s finished.”

22 Likes

Starting to think unlimited money in politics might favor the wealthy, and that they might benefit from a propagandized mob shouting about eternity. Hmmm.

13 Likes

Next up: Arizona Rethugliklans will vote to adopt Chapter X Section 47 of the Howell Code that set the age of consent for females at 10 years old.

8 Likes

Owning the libs is more important than anything else.

Keep it up, geniuses.

11 Likes

…the good old days. NSFW:

1 Like

It’s actually a good thing that the Republicans are being openly gleeful about this, for two reasons. First, it makes it clear to people what their stance really is, no matter what they might try to pass off in other forums. And, second, it means they think they own the state and can do whatever they want, despite the fact that they barely have control. The first point makes it clear to people what Republicans are doing, so every time Kari Lake goes out and declares that she actually supports abortion**, people will understand that she’s lying (and lying does’t go over well in AZ). The second point no only makes it easier to toss them out of power, it also shows people that they will do whatever they want, pass whatever extreme policy, regardless of how much public support there is.

Let them be assholes about this, it just makes them look bad to people who know this is a serious issue, and opens them up to being called hypocrites and/or monsters who would force kids and women to carry a dangerous to term (or death). It also makes it clear nationwide where Republicans stand, no matter how much they try to pretend otherwise. Republicans are terrified of this issue and being even more openly hypocritical than usual to try to fool people, let’s hope it backfires on them.

** Abortion support conditional based on possibility of losing election. Mileage may vary. See your doctor if you have an election overthrown by a rabid mob of insurrectionists trying to install a Christian theocracy.

34 Likes

These anti-women pigs disgust me.

I really hope every GOP and anti-choice candidate pays a price at the ballot box this November.

I want the GOP to be aborted at the ballot box.

26 Likes

I’m an AZ voter and i hope to ensure that!

23 Likes
Comments are now Members-Only
Join the discussion Free options available