Arizona Likely To Join Growing Group Of States With Abortion Ballot Initiatives - TPM – Talking Points Memo

Abortion access advocates in Arizona may soon join similar activists in Florida, Maryland and New York in successfully securing a slot to ask voters about abortion protections on the state’s 2024 ballot.

This is a companion discussion topic for the original entry at https://talkingpointsmemo.com/?p=1485001

Looks like the GOP got itself a Dobb’s rake.

Good job on the FA part fellas; now enjoy the FO part!

You’ve earned it.

17 Likes

It would also codify the right for a medical professional to conduct an abortion beyond that point in order to “protect the life or physical or mental health of the pregnant individual.” -emphasis added

I worry that the “mental health” language will lead to opponents characterizing that as allowing a woman to say, “I just don’t think I can mentally handle having a baby now” and getting the abortion.

Although I’m sure the intent was to be specific, I wonder if “protect the life or health of the pregnant individual” wouldn’t have been enough?

The anti-abortion anti-women’s-rights people will twist and exploit anything they possibly can.

9 Likes

There was a presidential primary today. I had no idea. Saw a sign at the high school. Went to vote and had a nice conversation with the election workers. They were happy to see me because the room was empty. No upsets today I guess.

7 Likes

Allow we the people to speak.

4 Likes

I think whatever language was used would be twisted by the pro-dead-women faction. If you just said health, they’d be all over “Ooh, it’s going to interrupt my jazzercise schedule” while simultaneously saying that a woman checked into a hospital for attempted suicide has to deliver…

7 Likes

A couple of these have run into issues of not being specific enough and shot down, so it’s good they make it clear what’s involved. And, there’s no use trying to avoid criticism from the right, they will make up lies no matter what the text of the proposal says. Best to give the voters a clear, concise statement on how things will work, defend that, and let the crazies flop around being crazy, hopefully American voters can figure out the difference.

9 Likes

ETA: It’s an April Fools’ joke–I got taken for a ride.

OT:

Have any of you seen/heard what the 5th Circuit did on Friday??

Judge Ho’s remarkable opinion begins by asking an obvious question: “Does the Second Amendment protect not merely the right to keep and bear, but actually to use, a firearm?” He gives a non-obvious answer: yes. Here’s the key analysis:

Heller , McDonald , and Bruen all make clear that law-abiding citizens have a right to possess firearms “for lawful purposes.” Texas argues that attempted murder is not a “lawful purpose,” but that is bootstrapping. If the State could restrict firearms or their use simply by defining some use as unlawful and thereby preclude further judicial inquiry, then the legislature could effectively repeal the Second Amendment. Instead, the relevant question is whether dueling is a traditionally lawful purpose–i.e., one that was not systemically proscribed at the Founding. And as the historical record confirms, to ask that question is to answer it.

4 Likes

Church wars. Look at what you have to fight.

The only thing I know for sure is every one of the Christ-punchers is up to their necks in dodgy deals. The wider the smile, the bigger the bite.

We need an accountancy SEAL team.

3 Likes

Well duh, if I can have a ballistic missile, then why can’t I use it? Or if I have the right to stand my ground, does it really have to be my ground, or can it be my neighbor’s ground?

3 Likes

I’ve collected about 120 signatures, and am still canvassing.

2 Likes

as is their right

12 Likes

Abort the GOP.

3 Likes

One of those states that is doing constitutional abortion measures is Missouri. They have at least three items cooking along including one by the anti-abortion crazies so it is going to require a real effort for any of them to win but I have a hunch women are going to show up in droves to vote to get rid of the absolutely horrible current Missouri law. I think their will be serious headwinds for Republicans in Missouri this November. Josh Hawley and his wife Erin are at ground zero of the hard right anti-abortion movement. I think we have been overlooking Missouri as a possible Senate pick up.

5 Likes

How would men feel if the state said they owned men’s testicles?

4 Likes

There would be a revolution.

1 Like

It’s my opinion that a woman is the keeper of her uterus, not the state. Medical issues should be between patient and doctor and not medically untrained and politically opinionated legislators.

4 Likes

You are right, of course, but don’t tell Josh or Erin Hawley that. They are evangelicals who believe that only men have the right to enforce “god’s law.”

The Hawley’s need to review what Jesus taught. And they need to remember that Jesus was condemned by the ultra conservative Temple priests who hated Jesus because of his liberal attitude and because he upended their chief source of income… the money changers. They weren’t permitted to kill Jesus but b the Roman occupiers were happy to torture him to death.

The Hawleys are white Christian conservatives. They don’t pay attention to anything Jesus said or taught. For them the New Testament only has one book–Revelations,and all the real laws are found in Leviticus, a book addressed to a man named Aaron and his sons, who are probably the model for misogynists ever since.

1 Like
Comments are now Members-Only
Join the discussion Free options available