Arizona Democrats Censure Sinema For Blow To Voting Rights Legislation

This is not psychology, it is simple electioneering. It is very apparent to me that her actions are not those of one who intends to run seriously for office again.

2 Likes

I don’t think she’s irrational or crazy. I think she’s a cold-blooded sellout who is collecting her set for life money in this unique once-in-a-lifetime 20 month period that will never be available to her again.

4 Likes

Sinema is a very …unusual person. We are two years out from a campaign as well. My anger at her will certainly last that long.

2 Likes

Pour encourager les autres.

2 Likes

Then you know more than I do. I just think she’s a nutcase.

Nutcases have honor. Some of them.

1 Like

And depriving her of the automatic support of whatever influence the members of the Democratic party have in Arizona. This is soft power but more influential than.you might think.

Can we fire DeJoy currently?..Could we do so if we nixed the filibuster?

Somebody is funding a bunch of pricy ads touting her mavrickness. So far this has done zilch for her polling numbers.

Currently there is a good argument for dumping her simply.because of her political weakness. We need to retain that seat. If she gets through the primary we lose and the Republicans know this.

2 Likes

Assumes sanity not in evidence.

It has been suggested that she thinks she can kill voting rights in this fashion to retain the filibuster and enough.Democrats will buy her lie that voting for a bill that cannot pass shows that she does so too support voting rights that she can get enough support from independents and Republicans to become President. Put another wsy she is only in this for herself.

Not until biden’s two nominees to the board are approved by the senate. filibuster has nothing to do with it.

So could those appointments be brought to a vote that the filibuster does not apply to?

There’s all sorts of arcane shit around senate confirmation of appointments that I don’t remember, except that the filibuster is not in play. I don’t know what the holdup is on the two USPS board nominees. Google is your friend.

IIRC, dimly a couple of Senators have placed a hold. Not judges so I assumed ordinary procedures would apply thereafter in voting.

The trajectory of Senator Sienna’s political career should remind us all how profoundly Senate filibuster rules affect the House. I haven’t the spare time to Google up how many times then-Congresswoman Sinema, representing a relatively liberal district of Arizona, voted for this, that, or the other thing knowing full well that it would never pass the Senate.

We could do the same for a hundred other Democratic Representatives, except we won’t bother because their isn’t enough evidence to discern their motives yet, because they haven’t been elevated to the Senate.

The filibuster is the problem across the board.

They can’t get out of committee. That would be Josh Hawley blocking them, along with National Security nominees, State Dept (along with Cancun Cruz), etc.

If they can’t get out of committee, they can’t be voted on.

2 Likes

This is a man who knows he’s a loser and if it weren’t for Daddy he’d be selling used cars. Unsuccessfully.

1 Like

If I may suggest a 7th entry, perhaps “midterms”?
I don’t think Pelosi or Schumer are under any illusions that 2022 is going to be a decisive election.
Discontent with the impacts of the choices of Sinema and Manchin is going to drive some donations and turnout outside of AZ and WV. Sugarcoating those impacts and the discontent will lilely not improve the fortunes of Democratic candidates.
Whether independents will respond similarly …

Is there anything we can do to assure it’s a farcical end, instead? That seems like better television.

1 Like

“The move has no practical consequences but demonstrates the frustration of key Democratic activists.”

“…a symbolic condemnation…”

Disappointing reporting at TPM. I had to Google “censure” to find out this information ^ which should have been included in the TPM article. I found that clarification at a HuffPost article. What’s the point of TPM telling people Sinema was “censured” if people don’t understand what censured means.

Comments are now Members-Only
Join the discussion Free options available