Amazon, SpaceX And Others Are Arguing That The NLRB Is Actually Unconstitutional - TPM – Talking Points Memo

Also, too, Steppenwolf/ the monster…

4 Likes
5 Likes

So does Bezos. The infrastructure is all built. He’s richer than God. He can afford to hire enough workers to make his organization run smoothly, he can afford to pay them well and pay for sick leave, give them pensions, etc.
He chooses not to, although it would impact his lifestyle not a whit.

9 Likes

Space X? Only in this day/age can an individual have their own space program. Screw 'em.

And… I believe it’s a national security threat for an individual to be beholden to multiple foreign entities for profit. Starlink, for example. I see no scenario under which that’s a good thing.

6 Likes

Having each violation of law litigated before a federal jury, rather than administrative law judges deciding cases, could take a lot longer to resolve cases.

Honestly, I’m of the opinion that such labor law violations should be litigated in federal court instead of in front of administrative law judges. 100 years of the NRLA have shown that the NRLB and these labor law judges can be corrupted or made ineffective. That is why businesses shrug off pitiful fines for massive union busting activity.

Instead, let these be litigated in front of a regular federal court and watch as angry juries award multi-million dollar fines for anti-union federal law violations. That’s more likely to turn company heads than another few thousand dollar fine.

3 Likes
2 Likes

Also, it should be remembered that most Republican administrations have sought to weaken the NLRB by appointing anti-labor members to the board or by appointing an anti-labor Secretary of Labor. Apparently up till now they thought the constitutionality of the NLRB to be inarguable.

8 Likes

NRLB enforcement of labor laws ranges from inadequate during Democratic administrations to actively hostile during Republican ones. It’s why I’m for abolishing the NRLB’s administrative law judge system and letting workers sue for union violations in regular court. Some multi-million judgements against union busting companies should get some better compliance.

3 Likes

Something like that may become necessary if we can’t figure out a way to get the SC to start following the laws and the Constitution again.

1 Like

So sorry to see that Trader Joes is involved in this attempt tear down the rule of law and the protection of workers.

6 Likes

The backlash against the January 6 riot will reelect Joe.

The resistance does not riot. We organize and lead non-violent protests. We win that way.

We’re not just the side of the angels, we’re the majority. That is, if we organize and get busy.

2 Likes

The difference used to be that the price of admission for filing in front of the NLRB was only a few grand (I don’t know if that’s still true) while filing in federal court could cost you mid six figures just to get started.) There are also a bunch of rules for getting into federal court (dollar amount at issue, locations of the plaintiff and defendant and such) that have often made removal to federal court a kiss of death for consumer and worker litigation. So I’m not sure that’s the answer.

Unfortunately, the answer is likely a bunch of new law, including criminal liability for the management chain of companies that steal from workers or physically abuse them. And maybe congressional or judicial reform of the incredibly corporate-friendly limit of punitive damages to less than 10x provable actual damage. (Because if all you have to do if you’re found guilty of illegal firings is rehire people and pay a piddling fine, it’s just a cost of doing business.)

3 Likes

Alas, we live in interesting times.

1 Like

Time to boycott Amazon. Musk is beyond redemption but Bezos likes to think of himself as a good guy.

Even more outrageous, the ACLU has joined the suit! They are fighting an NLRB ruling by making the same rightwing claim that the GC is illegitimate because Biden “illegally” fired Trumpist sociopath Peter Robb, the very tool who helped Reagan destroy PATCO. The ACLU is trying to get this Trump appointee reinstated to help their case. Simply beyond the pale.

1 Like

It’s most amusing that these rightwing entities are arguing that sociopath Trump appointee Peter Robb (of PATCO destruction infamy) can’t be fired by Biden. When a Democrat is President it’s just amazing how fast the “Unitary Executive Theory” does its disappearing act (even faster than the gaslighting about balanced budgets disappears when a Republican takes office).

The ACLU making the same argument is one of the most disappointing and disgusting spectacles I can recall seeing from a supposedly progressive org. Some people in ACLU leadership need to be fired, publicly humiliated, and the earth salted where they stood so nothing can grow there.

ACLU soiling itself in this case and siding with Musk reminds me of when Susan G Komen decided to plunge a shiv into its key constituency by embracing Gilead and watched 80% of its revenue go thundering down the toilet.

1 Like

These modern-day Robber Barons simply want to return the country to the days of Lochner. I’m going to bet it ain’t gonna happen, but then, I’m a bit of an optimist.

" If these companies prevail, the entire process for holding union elections and for prosecuting employers who break labor laws — in place since the days of the New Deal — could collapse. That would leave U.S. workers more vulnerable to exploitation."

If the oligarchy is going to leave them only one choice, eventually people will make it. And they should. They should make it over and over and over again until the oligarchy learns its fucking lesson. There is no way to enjoy a superyacht vacation from inside a casket.

Whew. Any ‘board’ that holds them responsible is actually ‘unconstitutional’? Education? Health and Welfare? Now the NLRB? How much money do they need? How many people do they need to screw over?