Alaska GOP Breaks From Murkowski After Trump Vowed Vengeance | Talking Points Memo

The Alaska Republican Party on Saturday endorsed a challenger to incumbent Sen. Lisa Murkowski (R-AK), a fierce critic of former President Trump who voted to convict him during his second impeachment trial for “incitement of insurrection” earlier this year.

This is a companion discussion topic for the original entry at https://talkingpointsmemo.com/?p=1380730

I am not sure that this altra right turn by the GOP is a winning strategy. I hope not.

68 Likes

Former President vows vengeance. That’s nice.

30 Likes

Almost makes me want to donate to Murkowski.

But then I got better.

49 Likes

Sen. Murkowski shows flashes of conscience and sense of basic duty and morals, but she stays in the ‘insurrection party’. Why doesn’t she become a Dem or Independent?

39 Likes

Lisa Murkowski didn’t give a shit about the Alaska GOP before the top-four primary. I can’t imagine she gives more of a shit after.

36 Likes

Didn’t someone try some crap with her before and she had to do a write in campaign?

39 Likes

“I have pledged that I will be true to our shared, conservative Alaska ideals and be a senator upon whom they can depend to make every decision based on what is best for our great state,” Tshibaka said.

So what, exactly, are those “conservative Alaska ideals”? The word “conservative” has lost all meaning.

31 Likes

Whatever the MAGA base wants.

17 Likes

so what is best for the Great State of Alaska?

6 Likes

@jm_tpm, @jtx : in my state, it means refusing to get a vaccine so that you won’t die of a preventable, or at least treatable, disease. (And at CPAC, I guess it means cheering for people to die of said disease.)

30 Likes

Whatever ExxonMobil says it is.

25 Likes

I don’t know, it seems to me that “conservative” has never had a clearer meaning than right now, a racist supporter of white power.

43 Likes

I’m sure that Murkowski is quaking in her shoes. /s

42 Likes

That’s pretty much what I was thinking as I read this. Murkowski comes from a political family and she knows how to deliver for Alaskans. Whatever MAGA chump comes in to replace her will get nothing done. Not that MAGA cares. They’ll bleed to death on the ground ans STILL insist that they “owned the libs” which will make it all worthwhile. MAGA has proven, beyond a shadow of a doubt, that they no ability to govern. No interest either, even if they had it. Add to that fact that while the Rethugs are holding on, even their Senatorial strength is in doubt.

I repeat, Alaskans will end up with nothing.

44 Likes

This woman won a statewide general election as a WRITE IN candidate last time around. Go for it, morons.

46 Likes

If she decides to caucus with the Democrats and helps us push our agenda regarding voting rights, infrastructure, etc. forward, I’ll definitely consider it. I imagine Biden’s people are already approaching her for discussions.

I look forward to seeing how Mitch decides to handle this, caught between a rock and Trump.

34 Likes

And speaking of people Alaskans are glad to not have to vote for . . .

76 Likes

Whatever mixed feelings I have for Sen. Murkowski, I do love me a nice, blue seersucker suit in the summertime. Of course, white linen is also a lovely, if less practical, choice. :sunny:

8 Likes

She won’t. These people already had their chance to vote with the Dems on issues. They do not have to change parties to do so. The Dems would have to move to the right to get their votes.

7 Likes