Aides Dissuaded Trump From Making Jan. 6 So Much Worse

I am keenly aware that contemporary comparisons to Hitler and the German nation under his time is dangerous, but there are parallels to the enablers of Trump and their wretchedly misguided loyalties and feelings of victimhood.

25 Likes

Cipollone still defended tfg at the second impeachment trial knowing all that we heard today. He should be going to jail with the rest of them.

32 Likes

I like this one better.

36 Likes

After today, I believe that there will be a few rats trying to run down the S.S. Trump’s anchor ropes and get to shore. And I hope there will be a few FBI agents waiting to greet them.

13 Likes

I had no idea that the Secret Service had already confiscated hundreds, maybe thousands, of guns, knives, body armor, brass knucks, etc from trump’s crowd!! Much less that most of them declined to be scanned because they didn’t want their weapons confiscated before they could attack Congress.

How amazing (and strange) that in the entire siege, only one shot was fired?? How can that be?

21 Likes

And brave Kevin McCarthy thinks a 20 something young woman is going to tell misogynist sociopath trump what he is or is not going to do?

I’ve worked for people like him and Trump and the rest, Meadows etc. I’m ready to quit my cushy Gov’t job right now, except for the fallen stock market, because of people I’m working for like that.

GOP People just can’t believe they’re in a pot of warm water with a fire under it. It’s one thing to be an Eisenhower republican (which is what most regular republicans view themselves as), until it’s too late. But, the rest of the platformless party has gone deeply off the rails into some absurd fantasy land of comic book superheroes and villain’s (Democrats), and the passivity of the Democrats in defending their brand and their values and their patriotism has got to end. And if bridges need burning, then, let’s light 'em up, smoke 'em if ya got 'em.

27 Likes

I recall sitting through John Dean’s Watergate testimony and having the same sort of feeling from watching today’s exercise. As with Dean, this feels as if it will lead to opening other very big doors.

The entire narrative of Trump’s frantic attempt to get the Secret Service to get him to the Capitol to be at the center of an insurrection, one that we now know was done with his support and fore-knowledge, is a hell of a “smoking gun.” It will be really interesting to see if this shake some of the folks who have been dodging testimony out of their trees.

37 Likes

Two things came out today that I think are a big deal. First, there’s Trump trying to grab the wheel and drive to the Capitol to lead the insurrection…he meant to go to the Capitol, and he knew what was coming when he pushed people to go there and protest. That all goes to him inciting the mob…what’s missing is if he meant for things to get violent. I think we’re a short step from finding out that he did intend for them to attack Congress by force if necessary to overturn the election.

The second thing is Trump telling the Secret Service to allow the people armed with AR-15s into his rally because they weren’t going to hurt him. He knew they were on his side, they were not antifa, and he was just fine with them violating the law in DC and wandering around heavily armed. And, he knew they would be heading to the Capitol, just like he was going to push everyone else to go, and he intended to lead them. The image of him leading an armed bunch on a march to the Capitol really should wake people up to what Trump was planning to have happen that day. Along with this is his inaction…Meadows put everyone off because he knew Trump was gleefully watching the insurrection, and that Trump wanted to be there to watch it live. That pretty much confirms that the second impeachment was solid, despite Republicans refusing to convict Trump…he didn’t lift a finger to defend the Capitol from a mob attack, and now we have confirmation that was the intention.

It’s interesting that they held a hearing today, as this stuff could have been done in two weeks. I wonder what the incentive was…maybe they decided to get her out there before the witness tampering scared her off again (that’s the third big thing today, you don’t threaten witnesses if you aren’t afraid of the truth). Maybe this was laying out really damaging information before the holiday so people spend the weekend talking about Crazy Trump Antics. Or, maybe they now have a big followup punch to land and wanted to get this one out of the way first. It just has the feel that this portends even bigger reveals soon.

43 Likes

Most of the gun nuts are cowards, it’s a big reason they go about armed. Most of the people who attacked the Capitol directly appear to be militia or militia-adjacent, and they left their guns in a nearby hotel room so they could bring them in if the police fought back. Most people stayed out, they thought it was a big party…maybe 10% went into the Capitol, and a lot of them were dumbfucks just looking around.

Put all that together, and it’s not surprising that there was just one shooting, which probably put a damper on any of the people who might have thought about shooting things up. The battle at the police lines didn’t involve weapons because the cops didn’t shoot…it might have been different if they did start shooting the crowd, especially if the Proud Boys and their ilk called for their guns to be brought up. And, the lucky part is that none of the insurrectionists got into a place where the guards felt so threatened that they opened up with heavy weapons…if the door that Babbit was stopped at had fallen, there is a very good chance that crowd would have been mowed down without mercy as it tried to rush the members of Congress at the end of the hall.

It was very, very close, a lot of credit goes to the security people who held back on the violence and made it seem like taking the Capitol was easy…they could have defended it by shooting the crowd but chose to evacuate and protect Congress instead of the building. Next time won’t be the same.

25 Likes

And TFG had access to nuclear weapons
A prime reason he should never ever be elected to anything. Not ever.

22 Likes

All the brave, male, White House lawyers and Kevin McCarthy telling a 25-year-old aide to stop the President from coming to the Capitol. Despite her Republican politics she is indeed a courageous young woman and knows right from wrong. May she be applauded and safe. It’s too often like this, the men pushing the woman to the front to handle the situation. Like the brothers making their sister take the car keys from the elderly parent.

30 Likes

Secret Service officials:

Both Bobby Engel, the head of Trump’s security detail, and the driver of Trump’s SUV are prepared to testify under oath that neither man was assaulted by the president and that he did not reach for the wheel of the vehicle, as Hutchinson testified today…

3 Likes

Hutchinson was brave to do what she did in light of inaction by other more powerful TFG sycophants. I have a hard time believing she worked in offices of Cruz and Scalise without being subjected to institutional misogyny of republicans, particularly in the trump world. As a woman, I wonder how she existed in that world without bucking up and compromising herself.

8 Likes

If you can stand it, and you listen to any one of those idiots for more than 2 minutes one thing becomes crystal clear. Every single one of them believes they’re owed something and Fat Bay was going to start delivering like an overstuffed pinata.

4 Likes

In my mind, there is still at least one piece of the story that needs to be explored and clarified. Why didn’t Trump order the National Guard to the Capitol? Did Pence finally give the order?

10 Likes

Now Trump’s driver and Secret Service agent are willing to testify that the neck grabbing/steering wheel grabbing didn’t happen.

Remember that the agents that surrounded Trump are there because he trusts them and they believe in him.

12 Likes

Screw em. They all knew the truth. Pence, Meadows, Cipillone, Stone, Bannon, McCarthy, Meadows, all of them traitors. And they STILL haven’t told what they know. They are all criminals deserving 20-life.

9 Likes

But, they would have to lie under oath to do that. We’ll see.

2 Likes

Manly!

5 Likes

My fear is that people/authorities will bar him from further elected office and call it a win.
As though that would be a kind of good-enough victory. It’s not.
He was quite willing to screw America for his own vanity and greed.
He has to go to prison.

13 Likes
Comments are now Members-Only
Join the discussion Free options available