After Not Pardoning Rudy, Trump Weakly Comes To His Defense | Talking Points Memo

During his final hours in office, former President Donald Trump was focused on the task of determining who should benefit from his clemency power. He ultimately extended it to a roster of more than a hundred people, many of whom were former associates or were well-connected in political circles.

This is a companion discussion topic for the original entry at https://talkingpointsmemo.com/?p=1371958
1 Like

Coffee’s for closers, Rudy.

18 Likes

That pic is really choice. The Twice Impeached Pathetic Former President and the Disgraced President of 9/11, a real pair. They deserve one another.

17 Likes

Does Trump text? I know he doesn’t email, but I can’t imagine the plethora of incriminating evidence there is against him if he had a texting relationship with Rudy. A couple of tech ignorant goobers sharing their oh so clever Pinky and the Brain world takeover plots while watching Hannity together every night.

7 Likes

“It’s, like, so unfair and such a double — it’s like a double standard like I don’t think anybody’s ever seen before.”

Trump’s “like nobody’s ever seen before” line is so over-used even the cult members’ eyes must glaze over when they hear it. He needs some new material. At least a new phrase or two for his mind-numbingly repetitive claims.

25 Likes

I’m continually astonished that Trump hasn’t tried to issue retrospective pardons ‘from the office of’, trollishly daring anyone to take the legitimacy thereof to ‘his’ Supreme Court.

14 Likes

“It’s a very, very unfair situation,” Trump said. “You have to understand Rudy. Rudy loves this country so much. It is so terrible when you see things that are going on in our country, with the corruption and the problems. And then they go after Rudy Giuliani. It’s very sad, actually.”

Two among many blatantly terminally corrupt individuals. To hell with them both. Let history remember them for their actions and let Trump also be remembered for the approximately half-million Americans who died on his watch while he dismissed the severity of the pandemic and degraded our public health response. Let history remember his attempts to corruptly compel Ukraine to provide false claims of Biden corruption in order to sway an American election. Let history remember how deeply he kissed Putin’s ass. And let history remember that Giuliani was the inept middle-man in all of this.

The Dotard is corrupt to and beyond the core.

ETA: One likely reason that Satan’s Avatar didn’t pardon Rudy is because Rudy could then testify against him without fear of prison. Rudy could be compelled to testify since there would be no 5th Amendment concern. If you’re pardoned, then you can’t be punished for incriminating yourself. And if you then refuse to testify after being pardoned, you are imprisoned for contempt. So Rudy received no pardon because it served Satan’s Avatar best by not doing so.

24 Likes

I am so naïve, after all of these years, that I thought Trump’s pardons would be a big story. How is pardoning more than 100 outright crooks on your way out of the door not one of the biggest scandals in American political history?

14 Likes

The only thing that’s “sad” is that we’ll have to wait a while longer to see Giuliani and Trump do the perp walk. They’re both old enough that the chances are good their lives will come to an end in prison, as both of them richly deserve.

12 Likes

Meanwhile, the media still talks about Bill Clinton pardoning Marc Rich, who had done nothing even close to the crimes Trump’s buddies committed.

11 Likes

Borat catching Rudy with his hand in his pants is the cinematic equivalent of the FBI catching Rudy with his hand in the Ukraine bagman’s pants.

11 Likes

“he just loves this country, and they raid his apartment…”

Yeah, that’s the full rundown of cause and effect there, champ. How did we survive four years of this very stable genius?

16 Likes

like I don’t think anybody’s ever seen before

Wrong.

Again.

6 Likes

Put a stake in it, Ghoulie, you’re done.

7 Likes

And how is it that Matt Gaetz didn’t receive a blanket pardon? Is there a limit to Trump’s corruption, that he refuses to pardon such a contemptible and corrupt sleazebag? No. I think that he didn’t provide a blanket pardon because there was nothing in it for Trump.

21 Likes
10 Likes

600,000 of us didn’t.

31 Likes

I loved Rude’s son jumping to his defense saying…(paraphrasing here) “He lived through 9/11, he’ll live through this.”

You can take the Rude out of 9/11…but you just can’t take the 9/11 out of the Rudes.

10 Likes

They thought Biden would rollover and play the usual DC games, which honestly with a Democratic president, is normally a safe bet.

Not this time.

14 Likes

As bad as his pardons were, they could have been a lot worse.

8 Likes