Abrams Gives Manchin’s Voting Proposals A Thumbs Up: ‘Absolutely’ Supports Compromise

I support having the “talking filibuster” because I believe forcing Republicans to state in plain language that they don’t support anything the Democrats put forth will help break free some of the head in the sand people that supposedly vote Republican because their parents voted Republican and don’t yet realize that the party is not what it used to be.

6 Likes

“Voting rights are far more important than Infrastructure.”

The above is something I thought I would never say…and, say, during the 1976 Presidential Campaign I would have had no reason to do so.

But That is what the GOP has descended to.

Because, if Voting Rights were a norm supported by all Americans, we would be having a vigorous debate on very needed Infrastructure, right now.

And that is what the GOP has, itself, lowered the entire country to.

12 Likes

As well you should be.

LOL I just have to laugh at the utter absurdity. I imagine it’s pretty easy to fake an NRA card, faking a school ID isn’t so easy to do and it’s pretty damn easy to verify.

6 Likes

Sure seems that way to me, too. I am happy, though, to see him at least giving indication that he wants to do something about voting rights. Pretense? I don’t know. Although I’m in Colorado, I wrote him a letter on May 19th pretty much imploring him to support voting rights because of all the sh*t the republiCONS are pulling in many state legislatures. Maybe a drop in the bucket of his consideration . . . Unlikely, but who knows.

6 Likes

People like you are often those who make a difference.

5 Likes

Thank you! It can be time consuming.

1 Like

You can take this to the bank…Stacy Abrams is generally the smartest person in the room when it comes to policy…especially voting. If she can get behind this, all Democrats should.

14 Likes

Without the so-called Noisy Caucus, absolutely none of this would be happening.

1 Like

What I’m referring to is the “we’re intend to filibuster” and “OK…you don’t have to talk…consider it done” agreements now in place.

2 Likes

I so agree.

I’m so happy that Abrams is good with the revisions. Let’s rock and roll.

7 Likes

Sad to see the quick caving on gerrymandering. If we want representatives to live up to that name, then this process needs to come to an end.

Wait - I read the changes he wants and there isn’t a total cave on gerrymandering. He will vote for a ban on partisan gerrymandering.

3 Likes

It’s fine with me if he represents the people of WV rather than the DNC.

Yes, this could be a tipping point.

4 Likes

Gonna include your whole post…Abrams is one of those people whose name can act as a verb

5 Likes

Yeah - I don’t see how we can possibly complain if she isn’t.

4 Likes

What is non-partisan gerrymandering? I thought the whole point was to bias for one party.

Even if it’s designed to single out poor/black/other voters to disenfranchise them (say by providing 10% of the ballot boxes of neighboring districts or shite voting machines), it’s still all kinds of wrong.

1 Like

The DNC supports SB1 as does a large majority of the citizens of WVA.

2 Likes

I’m coming around to his framing, that if we don’t reform the filibuster we could lose it. Both more acceptable than the status quo.

3 Likes

Gerrymandering is the drawing of district boundaries to choose the voters you want.

It has nothing to do with ballot drop boxes or bad voting machines.

2 Likes
Comments are now Members-Only
Join the discussion Free options available