Abbott’s Mask Mandate Attack Suffers Yet Another Blow, This Time From Texas Supreme Court | Talking Points Memo

@castor_troy I think this is the situation where Joe directed salaries to be reimbursed.

Florida Education Commissioner Richard Corcoran warned Broward County and Alachua County school officials they have two days to get rid of their district’s mask mandates or school board members would start losing their monthly pay.

14 Likes

Abbott is getting coverage while there is none of Biden speaking about Afghanistan right now? Just wow.

15 Likes

Yep. That shit is starting to really annoy me.

17 Likes

Unbelievable.

2 Likes

It was a couple of temporary restraining orders that SCOTX set aside, both of which were aimed at preventing Abbott from enforcing his anti-mandate order by county officials generally. They should both be proceeding to full evidentiary hearings on the applications for temporary injunction, which I think are set for next week. This one was specifically aimed at being able to enforce school mask mandates. In all likelihood, the Austin COA will take no immediate action on the mandamus or just deny it outright and remind the parties they can do an interlocutory appeal after the temporary injunction hearing (which is probably already set for a week from today, since the Travis County order was issued last Friday).

12 Likes

Castor Troy Charter Schools inc. announces that, starting Monday, all school board members will have their normal $50k/day salaries suspended for requiring masks

5 Likes

Don’t worry. There will be a hard-hitting article this evening covering Fox News coverage of how Biden is failing in Afghanistan.

15 Likes

Oh no! Abbott has once more failed to completely undermine common sense and the rule of law! Boohoo!

3 Likes

With Texas, the tourists are not visiting, they are moving here in droves. Which is good and bad.

1 Like

Just to theorize a sinister take on it —
In order to ramp up the Two Minutes of Hate the articles you can respond to have to be about the opposition.

5 Likes

Boring. The inexorable sameness of the approach every damn day is really getting tiring.

4 Likes

The Texas Supreme Court, made up entirely of Republican justices, on Thursday rejected Gov. Greg Abbott’s ® request for intervention

Was the decision unanimous? If not, who were the dissenters?

1 Like

Thank you. I was wondering why the CNN article was blathering on about the appellate court options.

8 Likes

I think in some ways this is good for Abbot. He gets to keep posturing for the nutbars who will keep him in office while killing slightly fewer of them and their kids (which would jeopardize his position at least a little). The courts are saving him from himself as well as the population from him.

10 Likes

“It is important to remember that this issue is about ensuring local school board members, elected politicians, follow the law,” Corcoran said. “These public officials have sworn an oath to uphold the Constitution of the United States and the Constitution of the State of Florida. We cannot have government officials pick and choose what laws they want to follow.

emphasis mine

Surprised any Trump supporter is trying to make this argument in 2021.

11 Likes

Vladeck is in Texas

3 Likes

Your insights into the inner workings of all this are really appreciated. Every time I see a post about this stuff I scroll immediately to the comments to see if you’ve chimed in yet.

18 Likes

No dissents were noted, but it doesn’t mean it was unanimous. It’s pretty rare for anyone at SCOTX to issue a dissent from a denial of review. It would take have taken five votes to hear the mandamus petition on the merits, IIRC.

11 Likes

I don’t know. IMO, letting the knews about Afghanistan take a back seat while the world piles heaps of scorn on Abbott and DeSantis ain’t bad at all. Americans are dying in Texas and Florida due to their Governor’s complete indifference to their constituent’s needs. That story is of more value to this country than the chaos going on now in Kabul. Again, IMO.

14 Likes

Vladek is also probably wrong. If SOCTX wanted to carry Abbott’s water for him, they could have done so just like they did in vacating the two previous TROs a week ago. They know perfectly well that the case is now going to a full evidentiary hearing on the temporary injunction application, they know the trial judge is overwhelmingly likely to enjoin the anti-mask mandate rule again, they know that’s it’s going to get tied up for months in an interlocutory appeal to the Austin Court of Appeals, they know how that COA is likely to rule because the court is 5:1 Dem, and they know that the result of all this is going to be that they probably get to just dodge the issue altogether because it will all be moot by the time they’ll have to take it up again at SCOTX.

ETA: And they also know this means local school mask mandates will remain in effect for the foreseeable future.

18 Likes
Comments are now Members-Only
Join the discussion Free options available