Abbott’s Mask Mandate Attack Suffers Yet Another Blow, This Time From Texas Supreme Court | Talking Points Memo

The hits keep coming.

The Texas Supreme Court, made up entirely of Republican justices, on Thursday rejected Gov. Greg Abbott’s (R) request for intervention as county and school district officials in some of the states’ biggest counties went ahead and established mask mandates for students and school staff this week despite Abbott’s ban on schools and local authorities passing mask requirements.

This is a companion discussion topic for the original entry at https://talkingpointsmemo.com/?p=1385250
1 Like

Only fitting, considering how much Abbot blows.

19 Likes

Authoritarian One Person Death Panel Abbott Slammed by TX Supreme Court, All Repubs!

41 Likes

So will he disband the court by Executive Order? Exhort the legislature to expand the court with more favorable justices?

This should be fun……

18 Likes

For the many, many lawyers here, it appears that the Texas Supreme Court denied a petition to bypass the state Court of Appeals.

Because yes, it’s that important for the state to quell this lawless local government rebellion against the Abbott and the legislature’s efforts to kill Texas children.

37 Likes

Oh what to do if you are Abbott … especially with genocidal Dan Patrick chomping at the tires on Abbott’s ride … in a fit of deeper derangement will Abbott just order the Texas rangers to start locking up people in masks?

13 Likes

OTOH it appears the Repugs now have their quorum so the POC/Dem-voter suppression push can renew.

6 Likes

Apparently The Florida Board of “Edumacashun” is all in on having schools be super spreader places.
DEATH TO KIDS!!! They don’t like em anyway…little rug rats that they are…

Them masks is communist ya knows…

23 Likes

There is much less here tha meets the eye - in fact, I’d go so far as to call the headline misleading.

Without getting into the details of where the case stands right now, it appears that all that happened here is that the Supreme Court of Texas refused to let the governor skip the normal appeals process for a lower-court ruling.

Basically, it seems that a lower-court found that the school districts can, at least for now, retain their mask mandates. Governor Abbott asked SCOTX to review that decision directly, rather than requiring him to go to the Court of Appeals (where he previously lost) first. SCOTX said you have to follow the standard procedure.

For all that we got used to it under the Trump administration, it is very rare that a Supreme Court will allow a litigant to skip the Court of Appeals.

This shouldn’t be viewed as a defeat - the governor is just being told he has to follow the standard process.

32 Likes

Are they in disarray, yet?

6 Likes

Oh boy … Abbott has really fallen behind Florida in the the dictatorial rule con!test

17 Likes

SCOTX did explain its ruling by pointing to the rule that says a mandamus petitioner ordinarily has to present the petition to the intermediate court of appeals before going to SCOTX for relief. But this is a very bad sign for Abbott on the merits. Austin Court of Appeals is going to pour him out a few weeks or months from now, then SCOTX can just wash its hands with a summary denial.

41 Likes

It is sickening to me as a grandpa that Abbott, DeSantis and others are so willing to use children as pawns in their political aspirations. Willing to let them get ill or die just for fucking votes at the next election. To me not having kids (if they’re in school classrooms) masked is straight up child endangerment and/or child abuse for which Abbott and DeSantis should be cuffed and arrested as the perps they are.
WE ALL SHOULD BE MASKED ANY TIME WE ARE IN PUBLIC. Otherwise it is endangering those around us irrespective if we are vaccinated or not. With the delta version even vaccinated people can be asymptomatic yet carry lots of viral particles in their nose and sinuses.
Just sayin’

43 Likes

Abbott has not previously presented this mandamus to the Austin Court of Appeals. He lost previously in Dallas and San Antonio COA’s on a different aspect of the no-mandates order.

11 Likes

Why not. Lots of countries wanna control their populations at the very personal level. freedom? Pahhh I say!! So they wanna lock up mask wearers for abusing their personal freedom… now apparently freedom (Abbott style) will be forced on the good people of Texas. YOU WILL COMPLY!!..OR ELSE DADDY WILL GET MAD
Locked up for not being free Texas style… makes little sense to me.

3 Likes

Yeah, I was referring to his loss at COA regarding the preliminary injunction, but my post was far from clear on that.

3 Likes

Old days: your dollars or your life
New days: your dollars, your life, and your kids

22 Likes

That squinty thousand-millimeter stare, does it not convey discernment and wisdom?

3 Likes

Hopefully these idiot governors will find out that tourists choose not to visit their state. The tourist industry will suffer.

17 Likes

I am disappointed that the Texas Supreme Court did slap Abbott with a ball gag order.

5 Likes
Comments are now Members-Only
Join the discussion Free options available