Abbott Busses Migrants To Los Angeles, Continuing Effort To Out-MAGA DeSantis

Texas Gov. Greg Abbott (R) announced Wednesday that he had bussed a group of migrants to Los Angeles for the first time, adding yet another blue state destination to the stunt he and Florida Gov. Ron DeSantis (R) have been using to out-MAGA one another and score political points — all at the expense of vulnerable migrants.

This is a companion discussion topic for the original entry at https://talkingpointsmemo.com/?p=1460724
1 Like

Response… bus homeless Americans to the front door of Abbott’s home?

Oh wait, never mind… Democrats aren’t soulless f’ing assholes that are willing to denigrate and shame humans in need for their own political asperations.

20 Likes

I see you haven’t been to Austin anytime recently.

Big unhoused population there.

8 Likes

I bet Abbott is just sick that the Trump indictment is grabbing all the ink and his trafficking human beings is stuck below the fold. He’ll have to look for even more despicable cruelty aimed at vulnerable people to get him the kind of publicity he so desires. What a sad little man.

22 Likes

This is human trafficking and must be stopped. He is committing a criminal act, and California must prosecute against him personally. Abbott is a repugnant human being - I thought someone in his life “condition” would be more compassionate. Shame on Abbott.

11 Likes

“When they have to deal with some of the fruits of that, they all of a sudden become very, very upset about that,” DeSantis said

It’s so much easier to win when you cheat and the other team still plays by the rules.

14 Likes

I don’t think we should bus homeless people. Maybe there could be a round up of mulitple gun-owning idiots with anger problems and their whole families could be deported to the front of the governor’s mansion.

7 Likes

Governor Greg seems to be still wanting to keep his 2024 options open. He is very, very clear-eyed about his electoral prospects. So with Trump getting seriously indicted, this is just him saying “Hey, remember me? I’m here if you need me.”

16 Likes

Why? What crime is being committed? Please be specific. I know that DeSantis’s people are in a little bit of criminal peril over moving migrants to Martha’s Vineyard under false pretenses, but what is the crime in offering free passage to Los Angeles?

1 Like

Abbott is a piece of shit.

13 Likes

Sanctuary cities are the problem? The last time that I checked, California was a border state. Neither Abbott nor DeSantis have any morals. They haul human beings around for sport and attention and oh yeah owning the libs.

15 Likes

How about we bus the angry gun morons and give the homeless their homes? Problem solved!

7 Likes

Start bussing registered sex offenders to Texas.

6 Likes

Until recently I had not thought of this song in over 50 years. Now I cannot stop thinking about it. Is it that history is repeating itself or that we never really got passed the Civil War.

Whether it is the pardoning of the murderer of Garrett Foster, Daniel Perry, or using immigrants as props to show their racist credentials and those who tried to overthrow the 2020 election to all the victims and perpetrators of xenophobia, religious bigotry, racism and misogyny,

to Abbott, De’Santis and especially Donald Trump, they are only pawns in their game. That in over 50 years how little things have changed.

A bullet from the back of a bush
Took Medgar Evers’ blood
A finger fired the trigger to his name
A handle hid out in the dark
A hand set the spark
Two eyes took the aim
Behind a man’s brain
But he can’t be blamed
He’s only a pawn in their game

A South politician preaches to the poor white man
"You got more than the blacks, don’t complain
You’re better than them, you been born with white skin, " they explain
And the Negro’s name
Is used, it is plain
For the politician’s gain
As he rises to fame
And the poor white remains
On the caboose of the train
But it ain’t him to blame

The deputy sheriffs, the soldiers, the governors get paid
And the marshals and cops get the same
But the poor white man’s used in the hands of them all like a tool
He’s taught in his school
From the start by the rule
That the laws are with him
To protect his white skin
To keep up his hate
So he never thinks straight
'Bout the shape that he’s in

From the poverty shacks, he looks from the cracks to the tracks
And the hoofbeats pound in his brain
And he’s taught how to walk in a pack
Shoot in the back
With his fist in a clinch
To hang and to lynch
To hide 'neath the hood
To kill with no pain
Like a dog on a chain
He ain’t got no name

Today, Medgar Evers was buried from the bullet he caught
They lowered him down as a king
But when the shadowy sun sets on the one
That fired the gun
He’ll see by his grave
On the stone that remains
Carved next to his name
His epitaph plain
Only a pawn in their game

14 Likes

There are no jobs for them here, we must send them away.

April 21, 2023 | Austin, Texas | Press Release

Governor Greg Abbott today celebrated three major employment milestones following the release of March jobs data showing Texas again breaking all previous records for total jobs, total Texans employed, and total Texas labor force.

“The promise of Texas knows no bounds,” said Governor Abbott. “Texas continues to set new records across the board for total jobs, for the number of Texans working, and for the size of our young, skilled, diverse, and growing workforce. Texas is also No. 1 in the country again for job growth, growing jobs at a faster rate than the nation as a whole across every major industry and adding more jobs than all other states over the last 12 months. With more Texans working today than ever before, we are building an even greater Texas of tomorrow.”

Well, maybe some bounds…

4 Likes

To dream the impossible dream:

Keep this in the forefront. It needs to be pounded into every Republican.

11 Likes

What do you think California has quietly been doing for years now? All those “Californians fleeing to Texas” stories? Self-selected to be relatively pro-gun and anti-tax.

Countless old jokes about “raising the IQ averages of both states” come to mind.

ETA: One of my senior managers did the move several years again, but has now returned to California. He’s realized that he’d rather pay a bit more to live in the kind of place he wants to live in.

13 Likes

Interesting… Houston has more than twice the population of Austin, but less than half of Austin’s unhoused population (percentage wise). Austin’s latest figures show 2300 unhoused people in the latest count - whereas Houston, twice again the size, has 3200 (down from more than 8400 a decade ago).

3 Likes

Why do you think they fight so hard against teaching history accurately?

7 Likes

Houston basic housing prices are significantly more affordable than Austin’s, probably mostly attributable to Austin’s much more rapid population growth. Supplies haven’t met demand in Austin really since the 80s.

4 Likes