A Victorious Biden Pivots To Governing A Divided Nation: ‘This Is The Time To Heal’ | Talking Points Memo

President-elect Joe Biden, in his first speech after being declared the winner of the 2020 presidential race, said that responding to the COVID-19 pandemic would be a top priority when he enters office and challenged legislators in the divided government he will likely be managing to try to work together.

This is a companion discussion topic for the original entry at https://talkingpointsmemo.com/?p=1343409
1 Like

Biden’s speech was beautiful and brought tears to my eyes. I am so saddened that we have a monster currently occupying that office for another 73 days, 13 hours, 35 minutes, and 10 seconds who lacks the humanity and the basic decency to call this good man and concede the election.

29 Likes

Who said Biden couldn’t draw crowds?

16 Likes

Great speech! And awesome drone display!!!

15 Likes

Tuned in late, right around Biden’s “not just an example of our power, but the power of our example”. Good bit.

To that end, there’s no punishment on Earth that can make up for what Trump has done, but he must pay a price. Not that it would make a difference to his diseased mind, but to set an example for the next crook that wants to try something like it.

31 Likes

18 Likes

I watched both speeches. Joe was good, Kamala was amazing. She had the crowd in her corner from the start. Not to be getting ahead of ourselves, but that opening speech was a great preview for her run in 2024.

As an acceptance speech spectacle I think the staging was about as good as it could have been under the pandemic. Outdoors, projectors lighting up a nearby building, cars honking horns and people waving American fuckin’ flags! It’s about time we took that symbolism back from the right wing. They’re not the only ones who get to wave American flags.

38 Likes

Emotioning

6 Likes

I’m going to disagree with one fundamental aspect of what Biden said. Most Trump voters are Americans, too many are not and are Trump supporters not Americans in the sense of being for the good of the Country. That distinction needs to be made. Some can be forgiven, Trumpswaps should not ever.

2 Likes

For Trump

the flag was a prop he could grab without asking.
No means no motherfucker

4 Likes

The sheer scope and magnitude of crimes – from Emolument Claus nose-thumbing to children-in-cages Crimes Against Humanity to secret Chinese bank accounts to Hatch Act massacres to Barr’s obstruction-of-justice firehose to the bank fraud, tax evasion, Khashoggi cover-up, Erdoğan plot to kidnap Americans, and Inaugural Committee embezzlements – The American People, the US Constitution, and (in Jefferson’s words) “a decent respect to the opinions of mankind” DEMAND swift and certain justice against The Monster, his Crime Family, and every member of his administration who aided and abetted daily illegal acts for four straight years.

Amos: “Let justice roll down like waters, and righteousness like a mighty stream.”

53 Likes

Public Service Announcement

Just a quick reminder: DO NOT CALL the Kockholster Kampaign’s VOTER FRAUD HOTLINE at 888-630-1776 unless you have ironclad evidence* to report.

Yes, 888-630-1776 is the real number. Operators are standing by 24 hours a day just dying to take your call.

*Ironclad evidence may or may not consist of visions received during fevered adderall-fueled dreams, random notions while (cheating) on the golf course and/or psychic (or psychotic — it’s such a fine line) revelations resulting in feelings of universal adoration.

ETA Busy signal? Can’t get through? Don’t despair! They’ve got a reporting website just for you.

17 Likes

I am thankful that Kamala Harris and Joe Biden will be our national leaders. They are striking the right tone now: positive, loving, strong, and building the future with democratic ideals in mind. I want retribution against the evil fuckers (you know who they are!) as much as anyone, but tonight, I was so glad just to hear the sound of kindness with resolve for a better future for us all. And I’m loving the idea of tailgate parties/rallies and fireworks!

20 Likes

Very rare typo by @irasdad:

Any relation to Santa Claus? LOL

11 Likes

I had a cruel thought about trump and a reckoning. Let him spend time stuck in a wire cage like those refugee kids were subjected to. Cold concrete to sleep on, bag of chips and a mylar blanket. No phone, no tv cameras no reporters. Just leave him in a cage.

17 Likes

How It Started vs How It’s Going

EmRbjgaWEAACjro EmRbjgbXUAAF-vB

30 Likes

There’s some weird orange dude with a preposterous comb-over in Florida who registered illegally because he’s not really a resident. Maybe they should know about him?

16 Likes

Gracious, you’re not suggesting we call that number with false accusations of voter fraud? It would be simply awful if we jammed the lines so folks with real evidence of fraud and election theft couldn’t get through…roflmao.

On a more serious note, this speech represents the kind of dignity and decency of spirit we have sorely missed for the last four years. January 20th can’t some fast enough for me.

13 Likes

It may be a time for healing but it shouldn’t be a time for forgetting. The entire garbage heap of the Trump “administration” needs to be investigated and prosecuted.

22 Likes

As I noted in a thread during the speech, the Legend of Joseph the Healer began on November 7, 2020.

5 Likes