A Series Of Cuomesses: New York Guv’s Terrible, Horrible, No Good, Very Bad Week | Talking Points Memo

The conclusion of the pandemic’s first year has ushered in a new and far less rosy chapter for Andrew Cuomo — the New York Governor who, just months ago, was lauded as a champion for his handling of the state’s coronavirus pandemic and landed a sparkling book deal with leadership advice on the subject.

This is a companion discussion topic for the original entry at https://talkingpointsmemo.com/?p=1363501

This seems pretty ripe for an SNL parody with a PowerPoint presentation going through his crises.

ETA: AJ Parkinson agrees.

4 Likes

Andrew hasn’t figured out how to keep his hands to himself. As for the words, when you’re the boss you can say anything, because hey you’re the boss.

5 Likes

And anything that makes DeBlasio look somewhat reasonable by comparison, really, really sucks.

12 Likes

$10 says DeBlasio is pulling half the strings behind the curtain.

9 Likes

This may kill Cuomo, but it won’t help DiBlasio- nobody likes him, and his reaction reeks of opportunism. His career is over as soon as his term ends.

6 Likes

Judith Vioorst should get royalties every time that phrase is used.

4 Likes

Recalls my reading mgmt studies in US and UK that show that bad mgrs are a dime a dozen. Sexual harassers are just one type. 2 of 3 employees describe their bosses as incompetent, reckless or downright abusive such that sexual harassment is just one form of abuse. Yes, small comfort to the victims, but men suffer abuse also, but theirs takes different forms.

1 Like

“If the investigation shows that something inappropriate did happen, I think he would have to resign.”

Cuomo has already admitted something inappropriate happened. He just wants to make sure everyone believes it was benign impertinence rather than an unwillingness/inability to contain his impulse to inflict harm on others because he can. Whether or not he should resign, it seems clear he’s failed the test that he can be trusted with power.

2 Likes

These are … choice:

“I do not believe that I have ever done anything in my public career that I am ashamed of.”

3 Likes

Poignantly damning!

1 Like

Hmm…guess there’s a Randy Andy on both sides of the Pond. At least ours isn’t tarred with a connection to Epstein (that we know of).

I doubt it. This does look like an organized “shock and awe” campaign (not that Cuomo is necessarily innocent), but DeBlasio is just not cunning enough to lead it. Whatever he does, he’s a patsy for other powers and desperate to compensate for his general fecklessness.

4 Likes

Trump, DeBlasio, Cuomo, Giuliani, Bloomberg, seems like you need a certain personality to succeed in New York.

2 Likes

Don’t forget Spitzer. He was a total success story until the prostitute debacle. All the worse because he kept his socks on…

4 Likes

Then there was NY AG Eric Schneiderman, also a peach.

And alas, also a Democrat.

2 Likes

Schneiderman’s in a class by himself. Republican level sex abuses. No jokes about socks there.

But he didn’t lead NY or NYC.

2 Likes

why does TPM get so much fun out of highlighting the sexual picadilloes of Democrats? why are they so obssessed with sexual topics.??? as far as i know, no-one died because of these events… i would like to see TPM stick to politica; issues…that really affect people’s lives…maybe its a NY thing!!!

It’s literally in their charter:

https://talkingpointsmemo.com/about

4 Likes

Harassment and abuse are serious matters, whether sexual or otherwise.

3 Likes