A Rollicking Tick-Tock Of The Comically Inept SharpieGate Scandal | Talking Points Memo

I take a backseat to no one when it comes to Trump loathing, but…
that law is designed to cover contemporary/immediate forecasts – not “historical” ones. By the time Trump altered the forecast graphic, it was well past the time that the alteration could have any impact on people’s plans.

BTAIM… from the report

So, Trump was getting “regular updates and briefings” on Dorian, while ignoring his PDBs…

3 Likes

i see what you did there…

6 Likes

Honest to God…when actual FACTS about the weather are a DELIBERATE CONTRADICTION OF THE PRESIDENT you know we’ve gone far down the rabbit hole. FFS.

12 Likes

You’ve got it all wrong as does everyone in the country. trumPP’s the one under siege, he’s the one being treated unfairly with so much unfairness coming at him from all sides, he’s being blamed for COVID, on top of which the pandemic is hurting him the most.

https://www.washingtonpost.com/politics/trump-the-victim-president-complains-in-private-about-the-pandemic-hurting-himself/2020/07/09/187142c6-c089-11ea-864a-0dd31b9d6917_story.htmlutm_campaign=wp_post_most&utm_medium=email&utm_source=newsletter&wpisrc=nl_most

He rants about the deadly coronavirus destroying “the greatest economy,” one he claims to have personally built. He laments the unfair “fake news” media, which he vents never gives him any credit. And he bemoans the “sick, twisted” police officers in Minneapolis, whose killing of an unarmed black man in their custody provoked the nationwide racial justice protests that have confounded the president.

often launches into a monologue placing himself at the center of the nation’s turmoil. The president has cast himself in the starring role of the blameless victim — of a deadly pandemic, of a stalled economy, of deep-seated racial unrest, all of which happened to him rather than the country.

17 Likes

Didn’t work for King Canute, either.

9 Likes

https://www.google.com/search?q=google+days+to+election+day is always up to date. :slight_smile:

5 Likes

Biden Day 1: if Trump appointed or hired you, get the fuck out.

A man can dream…

17 Likes

Any minute now he will prove, with geometric logic, that there is a key, and that it was not the mess boys who altered the map, uh ate the second scoop of ice cream, oh whatever.

What a pathetic excuse for an adult we have holding the nuclear launch codes.

4 Likes

I cannot take credit for this. Pure luck. :innocent:

1 Like

Counterfeit weather forecasts is a crazy concept to me, when traditionally, the real ones have been so pathetic. I can just imagine explaining to your jail-mate how you landed in federal prison.

7 Likes

Ross’s chief of staff and acting general counsel, Michael Walsh, worked with then-acting deputy general counsel David Dewhirst and NOAA’s acting chief Neil Jacobs — who didn’t include other important officials at the organization.

Walsh, who is awaiting Senate confirmation to become the department’s official general counsel

And a swell permanent general counsel he will be, too, I’m sure!

5 Likes

Poor donnie…poor, poor donnie.

Really…we just don’t deserve such a giving man…who has tried his best to help us, only to be attacked at every turn…

We REALLY don’t deserve him.

4 Likes

As a scientist, I can tell you that this is just the tip of the iceberg in how the Trumpsters have interfered with science in the executive branch since they took over. We’ve had a lot of scientists leave, and a lot more are working in very constrained ways, and events like this are why. The anti-science agenda hurts, but even worse is the concept that everything must support what Trump says…that’s the opposite of how science works, and it’s really damaging in so many ways. It really needs to be a priority of the Biden administration to put science back where it should be in his administration, and rebuild the executive science corps.

22 Likes

Mulvaney was blunt: “As it currently stands, it appears as if NWS intentionally contradicted the president. And we need to know why. He wants either a correction or an explanation or both.”

The explanation is a simple one: Because the president was talking nonsense.

Go on, Mick, ask me a harder one.

15 Likes

And then there’s NewHampshireGate. “Concerns about weather” is Parscalespeak for “concerned whether people will show up”.

8 Likes

and then this…

Ms. Roberts explained that NOAA Communications had tried to manage the story from
September 1 through September 3, 2019, but then things “blew up” on September 4,
> 2019, when the President displayed a modified NOAA Hurricane Dorian cone plot. 23
Ms. Roberts noted that the story somewhat died off by Tuesday, September 3, but
“people kept keeping it out there.” Between September 1, 2019, and the issuance of the
Statement on September 6, 2019, President Trump sent 11 tweets related to Alabama
being affected by Hurricane Dorian.

this was one of those times when a simple “oops I’m sorry” would have made the story go away. Its Trump who kept it alive – and the way his staff acted, its clear that this was not some deliberate political distraction. He was obsessed with it. (and that obsession was probably an offshoot of his focus on the potential for damage to his properties).

11 Likes

Think about what you could do in commodities trading if you had the capability to alter trusted forecasts (and I do trust NOAA’s hurricane forecasting and tracking efforts more than any other source).

6 Likes

Actually, that’s how it can work, anyone that is a political appointee Biden can ask to resign. The entire WH staff, executive office, all of that goes, as well as the Cabinet and senior leadership. There are a few exceptions, like Fed chairs, but Biden can clean sweep a lot of the government leadership if he wants. I expect him to do so, there’s no reason to leave any of them in there, and he should have a suite of replacements ready to be passed through the Senate as soon as he takes the oath.

12 Likes

Totally agree. He should just resign. That’ll show us.

5 Likes

OT: Trump postponed-cancelled a rally in New Hampshire. Due to “weather”… that’s what Michael Cohen would call code for “nobody would come.”

https://apnews.com/1dfdda0b79c7dc6e71f64090701353c4

4 Likes
Comments are now Members-Only
Join the discussion Free options available