A Rollicking Tick-Tock Of The Comically Inept SharpieGate Scandal | Talking Points Memo

Yeah, but the tests would be fake to save money. 5 days later they’d mail you the results: “Yep, you’re positive.” They wouldn’t be wrong, either.

3 Likes

I read that and thought to myself -for the first time ever - he really doesn’t look good for 81, does he?

1 Like

Maybe trump could be convinced to do an outside rally in Phoenix on Sunday (projected high 115) or Tucson at 112. Fun and games in yer suit n tie. Donnie could spew about how summertime heat kill the virus. Btw… everyday for the next five at minimum will be over 105 here. I would ask Mr. Genius trump why the virus is still here since he knows so goddamned much about it.

1 Like

yeah I hear you. It gets worse here every day and the air quality here is bad, too. The heat dome over us is trapping humidity and smog and holding it.

It’s worse in Houston - it gets worse with every mile you go south of Austin which is magnitudes hotter than Dallas.

And I know how hot it gets there - it’s its own kid of torture in Arizona.

1 Like

It might be ok if donald were comically inept and it did not cost thousands of lives. As it is he has damaged thousands of refugee families and their children. Cages are evil. And his inept and pretty much absent national leadership over the pandemic has killed tens of thousands of people, some of whom may have voted for him. He called himself a “wartime president” as if this was some sort of ratings game. Then he got bored and walked away.
Three and a half years into his term and he still has no fucking clue what he is doing.

3 Likes

The sickness:

(1) Good folk do good work with integrity and pride, accurately analyzing the storm and informing the public.

(2) The moronic and profoundly insecure sociopath in chief, always wanting to feel grand, can not resist giving a warning of threatened major destruction from the storm. This feeds his addiction, his personality disorder: it makes him feel powerful. Both major components of his sociopathy are active here, the moronic and the insecure.

(3) People in high office, all lickspittle abusers of power, rally to defend the psycho in chief by abusing and threatening – with loss of jobs – the very people who have done important, technical, and honest work.

(4) The lickspittle abusers of power are never threatened with losing jobs or forced to apologize (it is never an apology when forced) for their craven assholery. It is utterly beyond them to acknowledge that they are lickspittle abusers of power.

(5) The lickspittle abusers of power learn nothing, maintain high office, and go on to fuck the country over another day.

(6) The “insolence of office” was alive and well in Shakespeare’s day. Republicans, being Republicans, always take it to new heights.

2 Likes

Nothing realistic.

1 Like

yeah, me too. my list always starts with find some honest GOP lawmakers …

2 Likes

Oxymoron. The last of them either died or quit.

1 Like

My only quibble with your whole post is here. They do get summarily dumped whenever their inept lickspittling is exposed by the media and it starts to reflect badly back on Trump. See the long line of Admin folks who get tossed by the wayside the moment they start getting too much negative press (e.g. Omarosa Manigault Newman, Mick Mulvaney, Sean Spicer, Jeff Sessions).

3 Likes

That was fun.

Obviously Donald Trump is a bad comedian.

Al Franken should switch to the Republican Party — they’ll love him — run for President — he’ll win — and govern as a radical liberal.

Dream big, Al.

Foolish virgin.

1 Like

The depths of Dump’s depraved egomaniacal vanity and the sycophancy of his lackeys is beyond anything I could ever have imagined in a US Presidency.

Jesus Christ - Make. It. Stop. Please.

3 Likes

The graphic in the article, from Aug 31, shows a greater probability of high winds in Alabama than the one that the NWS professionals had available when they tweeted at 11:11 AM on Sept 1.

The new graphic, dated Sept 1 @ 11:00 AM, looks like this:

1 Like

This all happened almost a year ago. While we the public did not have knowledge of exactly what was happening to the same level of detail as we now have with this report, it was all pretty much known then in all its important features.

How could anyone then have looked at Trump’s behavior in this episode, and been left with the impression that he was able to discharge the powers and duties of his office?

Oh, sure, no doubt about it, having our side gin up hearings in the House about his cognitive impairment, in order to fulfill the general duty of the Congress to see to the general welfare, and its specific duty to appoint some other body should the cabinet fail to vote to remove an impaired president, might not have seemed a remedy appropriate to such a trivial, non-threatening, display of impaired cognitive ability.

Mostly the presidency runs on rails, because the federal govt runs mostly on rails, and so the president mostly just has to project purely symbolic mastery of the most powerful job on the planet. Demented Reagan held the office for eight years, but he took direction well, so raised little concern he wouldn’t get out of the way and let non-demented people handle anything important that might crop up. No harm, no foul if we see the president show the effects of dementia over weather forecasting. Except this, that occasionally a crisis crops up, and we actually need the president to react in a way that requires an ability to reality test with some competence.

There was no need to suspend Trump because his dementia made him do the Sharpie thing, because that was harmless. COVID is not harmless. Trump’s dementia is keeping him from getting out of the way and allowing competent people to handle it, in ways that we know are perfectly achievable, because every single nation on the face of the planet that has the resources to track COVID even approximately, is doing way better than the US, in ways that are saving lives in the tens of thousands.

We had this warning a year ago, and ignored it because the failure of reality testing was over something trivial in itself. But the failure of reality testing itself, in someone who held this office, was not at all trivial, and something that should have been fobbed off to the electorate at the next election to get rid of the demented guy. Of course our system is still failing, is still shrugging and fobbing the task of removal off on the electorate, even though now it is obvious that waiting until Inauguration Day 2021 to get a president who can reality test is way too long to wait.

We have a president who suffers from literal dementia, but that’s alright, he’s actually perfect for our political system, because that system suffers from a metaphorical dementia, so it’s all good.

In general, resignations are offered at the start of the new president’s term, especially at the senior level. There are plenty of times that someone has carried over until the next administration finishes appointing everyone (there are a large number of slots to fill). It’s pretty much understood that “you are here until the president gets around to asking you to leave”, and firing generally isn’t required (people go when they are asked to go).

Like I said, I think Biden should eject every single Trump appointee on day 1…whoever is next in line as a career employee can step in temporarily, but all of the political appointees should go. And, this is the time where I would expect someone to say that they refused to leave until their replacement was approved by the Senate…that’s when an actual firing and removal by security would be required. If they just walk out the door like every other administration when asked, let them go as it’s always been done, there’s no need to cause a scene when the turnover is business as usual.

The question is how many of the Trump people get converted to career positions…it happens in pretty much every administration, political appointees are able to get hired into a permanent position. Sometimes that’s a good thing, we want competent people in the government, and if they can set aside their partisanship for the greater good that’s fine. It’s the ones who embed as an agent to block policies that they don’t want to happen that are a problem, and those are the ones to catch and fire.

2 Likes

Telling detail, imPotus is currenly on his 5th attorney general. He asked Sally Yates to fill in as acting AG when her boss quit before the inauguration. Then he fired Yates 7 days into his term when she refused to defend his muslim travel ban order, though the likely real reason was her warning him about Michael Flynn. Next in line was Dana Boente from EDVA, who kept the seat warm until Beauregard Keebler was confirmed. Then Matt Whitaker, and finally Billybarr.

1 Like

On Biden’s alleged “plagiarism” of Trump…

Plus Biden with a Democratic Senate might actually know how to implement a policy into law rather than just bellowing on twitter and signing executive orders that make no sense and that everyone ignores.

2 Likes
Comments are now Members-Only
Join the discussion Free options available