A Real Vaccine Before the Election? It’d Take a Miracle. | Talking Points Memo

This story first appeared at ProPublica. ProPublica is a Pulitzer Prize-winning investigative newsroom. Sign up for The Big Story newsletter to receive stories like this one in your inbox.

This is a companion discussion topic for the original entry at https://talkingpointsmemo.com/?p=1334791

A miracle? More like snake oil.

5 Likes

There are a couple of words for any vaccine made “ready” for mass administration by the end of October. Those words are “toxic poison.”

Even if Pfizer could finish testing by October 30, which is doubtful, FDA and CDC review of all their data would likely take months, not to mention gearing up production, quality-control testing and distribution. This all just another Trump smoke screen.

1 Like

“Are you the Miracle Max who worked for the King for all those years?”

7 Likes

So it will be a chocolate covered pill instead of shot? “You’ll have to wait 15 minutes for full potency.”

5 Likes

We talked to companies, regulators, scientific advisers and analysts and reviewed hundreds of pages of transcripts and study protocols to understand all the steps needed for a coronavirus vaccine to be scientifically validated and cleared for public use.

Do you see the mistake you are making in your analysis? None of the normal standards, processes and procedures matter to this administration. If it is decided that a vaccine needs to be released in October, This FDA will do as they are told and release it.

Will it actually be available? Will it actually work? These questions do not matter as the “public” will see that the administration did what nobody else would, errrr COULD do faster, better and cheaper. Just like Trump’s health care plan.

The last time we rushed out a vaccine due to an impending election was 1976, when Ford was badly trailing Carter (something about a pardon) and needed a success story. The virus killed one person, and was eventually eliminated through old fashioned quarantining and isolation. The vaccine killed 30 people and inflicted Guillain–Barré syndrome on others.

10 Likes

And of course you have to actually produce the blasted thing, which is frequently glossed over. Whether a vaccine is formally approved a day before or a day after the election doesn’t really matter to me if I won’t be able to get it for three or six months!

6 Likes

Who would be gullible enough to trust anything coming from this Administration? You’d be better off using leeches and reading tea leaves until the adults are back in charge.

2 Likes

I think the best vaccine or way to prevent or otherwise mitigate the Trumpence-demic plaguing America and the world is to defeat Donald Trump.

In fact the Trumpence-demic has already made any vaccine mute for the over 200,000 Americans killed and over 2,000,000 more Americans who will have health issues the rest of their lives.

That is I fail to see how a vaccine before the election would save Trump because it is already to late to save America from the Trumpence-demic.

1 Like

Aw, c’mon. Jim Bakker already has a cure. I can’t remember if it contains cyanide or silver nitrite. Doesn’t matter. He says it works and that’s good enough for me!

2 Likes

In light of all the short-circuiting and abuse Trumplethinskin has done with the scientific process in the CDC and with respect to vaccine development, I think that at least three criteria must be met before I consider taking a vaccine for SARS-CoV-2.

1. Approval from Dr. Anthony Fauci. Let him say unequivocally that it is safe.
  2. At least six months from final dosage to a significant number of volunteers to ensure that there are either no or very minimal side effects.
  3. Efficacy must be known and at least 70%. I’m being generous by setting it that low. I’d prefer well above 90%.
2 Likes

Colloidal silver, and it turns your skin blue. Obviously he’s in on the conspiracy.

6 Likes

So are the Smurfs. You don’t see them getting COVID, do you?

2 Likes

I keep thinking about people trying to convey all this complex information to our moron president.

2 Likes

I always wondered what the Blue Man Group’s secret was. At first I thought it was talent. But now ….

1 Like

They have already gone into production on a couple of the drugs - betting that they will work. If they don’t then all those vaccines get tossed. I believe it’s the US govt that’s bank rolling the early production - though the Gates Foundation may be in on it too.

2 Likes

Johnson & Johnson might be the dark horse in the vaccine game even though they got a later start. Their vaccine has a 98% efficacy.

Researchers said 98 per cent of participants in the study whose data was available had neutralising antibodies, which help the body fight off pathogens, a month after they received the vaccine.

3 Likes

We are still waiting on the “BETTER and LOWER COST” health care insurance trump promised 3.5 years ago. The latest promised date for release of the plan was “by the end of August” which was a month ago. It’s much like the way trump pays his bills. He doesn’t. He expected folks to forget. If they don’t he threatens to sue them and throws more money at lawyers than his original bill was worth thus driving himself further into debt. But he’s “the king of debt” he has loudly proclaimed. This is the behavior we have seen repeated tine and again. This is the world’s worst businessman. A moving Ponzi scheme.

1 Like

Induction of antibodies that neutralize virus in tissue culture does not always correlate with protection, so the 98% reported by J&J may not mean much. Besides, J&J uses a variant of the technology used by Astra Zenaca/Oxford - an attenuated Adenovirus carrier of COVID virus dna. The safety issues with that vaccine have not been resolved.

3 Likes
Comments are now Members-Only
Join the discussion Free options available