Originally published at: ‘A Massive Power Grab’: White House Proposal Threatens Funding That Helps Disabled Americans Vote - TPM – Talking Points Memo
This story was originally published by ProPublica, a nonprofit newsroom that investigates abuses of power. Sign up to receive our biggest stories as soon as they’re published. Without Amy Miller, some elderly and disabled people wouldn’t be able to vote. The attorney for Disability Rights Nebraska travels the state, investigating the quality of nursing homes and assisted…
Shorter GOP: If American citizens who are not registered are apt to vote for the Democrats it is unfair to register them.
We lived a stone’s throw from a polling place in West Somerville, Massachusetts in 1948 when I first fell under the spell of voting. I was six. The polling place was the grammar school where I was in first grade, familiar territory for neighborhood kids. How wonderful it was on a pleasant Tuesday in September to find people with signs showing up in the school yard and cheerfully greeting voters. I didn’t know about politics but I was attracted to the comings and goings of all these neighbors. In November of ‘48, it was an even bigger party for us kids, except that it got dark early and when the streetlights came on my twin sister and I were expected to be home. Truman beat Dewey in 1948. Mom was pleased.
This may be a good opportunity for volunteer activism…if you don’t HAVE to have a Dem/Rep pair doing the work.