A Christian Chatbot Has Some Bad News For Republicans

The chatbot craze has gone biblical. A new bot “responds with a scripture based on how you feel.” It uses the King James version of the Bible, the translation preferred by many literalists and Christian nationalists, who claim it is the most reliably true to God’s word. But there’s some bad news for Republicans who think the wave of draconian new laws cracking down on reproductive and transgender rights are rooted in biblical principles. ChatKJV says they’re wrong.

This is a companion discussion topic for the original entry at https://talkingpointsmemo.com/?p=1450743
2 Likes

“Mr. Jefferson, build up that wall!!”

…frist…

15 Likes

That advice would have resonated more with the First Nations than with the Colonials.

6 Likes

It must be true! It’s not like it was first spoken in Aramaic, translated to Greek and then Latin, then re-re-re-translated by Englishmen. Nope, nope, must be so…

33 Likes

This is cute I guess, but so what.
Smugly dunking on religion and religiosity might be fun and validating inside one’s chosen bubble but out there in the real world not a great look.

6 Likes

How does ChatKJV feel about smiting enemies? There’s a lot of enemy-smiting in there.

27 Likes

Not only re-re-re-translated by Englishmen, but done so under authority of a king who specifically feared witches. In the early 17th century. Lots of relevance for 21st century society there.

18 Likes

It would be interesting to ask ChatKJB if, given the descriptions in Revelations, is trump the AntiChrist or one of his servants.

15 Likes

The abortion “debate” gives me a headache. I’m ardently pro-choice as are my family members.
The headache comes from the harangues by abortion cultists.
They’re crazy and have been since they existed. Insanity justified with religious scripture is extra crazy.
There. I’ve said it. Somebody has to say it. I’ll be the one.

24 Likes

So, some Christians who recognize that some other Christians are looney tunes?

10 Likes

The vast majority of the Christofascists only know the parts of the bible that serve their goals. It is always entertaining to see them go head to head with John Fugelsang, who knows the bible very well since his parents were a monk and a nun.

16 Likes

I was raised on the Hebrew version of the Bible and prefer the KJV. It tends to translate the verses, letting the reader interpret, thus preserving the poetry of the original. More modern translations tend to spoon-feed the reader and lose elements in the process. (Sorry, at a loss for examples right now.)

7 Likes

Can you inquire of ChatKJV about stoning women to death for lack of virginity? Deuteronomy spells it out. It’s sick and disgusting. Never understood why the Bible is considered the source of proper belief and behavior, when that chilling description of why and where to stone a non-virgin to death is included therein.

11 Likes

The religious smugly dunk on the non-religious every day with nary a thought to whether it’s a great look or not. Our society is overly influenced by people who base their policy on what can best be described as wishful thinking and/or delusion conjecture. Every day on the highways, you can see multiple pro-religion bumper stickers. Imagine driving through any rural area in the US with one that states “God Does Not Exist.” Every day, people running for higher office in the US attend prayer services, say “God bless our troops,” etc. It’s nearly impossible to make a serious run for higher office without at least paying lip service to fairy tales. I think any chance we get to knock religion - either out of politics or just on the head - should be taken advantage of.

34 Likes

I am agnostic at best, but I have a real problem with the so called “christians” reducing their lord and savior to a license plate on their truck that says “Jesus”.
Seems ironically blasphemous.

16 Likes

True story: was behind a motorhome that had bumper stickers all over the back of it showing places it had been. Just above the License plate was “GOD IS MY CO-PILOT”, while the License plate frame said “Don’t follow me, I’m lost”.

25 Likes

Or how does it feel about lawyers?

Asking for a friend.

9 Likes

I’m off topic, but I need to reply just so my avatar is in proximity to “jam econo”. It’s a way to be mindful of Mr Robot’s Holy Orders. :wink:

3 Likes

Christians: I’m pretty good at this Jesus stuff.

2 Likes

In the real world I don’t care much about how it looks. I care more about debunking false beliefs that would reverse the progress we’ve made since the Medieval period.

16 Likes