5 Points On Why The Latest COVID Crisis Is So Bad, And Why It’s Poised To Get Much Worse | Talking Points Memo

Not sure, but a few folks have said they would like to see more than the firm’s press release, mentioned that FDA still has to give approval, and…oh, maybe that distribution will be a nightmare. Just kill-joys, these reality-based peoples.

6 Likes

That no one in government… apparently it seems…I mean politicians, not the doctors and scientists who have been yelling for months … politicians who could have …you know … led a response (cough, donald, cough) deliberately wanted people to fucking die.That ought to have been more than adequate reason to remove this fucking monster and jail him. But no… who cares. It’s only a quarter million dead folks. Who fucking cares?? More important is donald’s fragile ego. Obviously that is more important.

14 Likes

Cities are in better shape to handle the vaccine because of large mainframe computers. They need liquid nitrogen cooling to keep the computers from overheating while keeping system size down.

Rural areas don’t have the logistics in place to ship large dewars of nitrogen around, pick up and replace empties, etc.

That doesn’t solve the entire logistics problem (how do you actually store the vaccine, warm it before use, monitor & control temperature, etc), but it’s a start.

7 Likes
13 Likes

Even if the Pfizer vaccine got fully approved tomorrow, it will still take months to a year (or more) to distribute it. It likely won’t even be available to the general public till well into 2021.

6 Likes

I think you have to also mention the dangerous, but hard to quantify factor of the “what, me worry?” culture trump has engrained among republicans. Acting as if there is nothing to be worried about is a popular political statement.

Add this to winter, close indoor holiday gatherings, and the virus having been seeded everywhere, and I fear we are facing a health emergency much worse than what most people imagine.

I hope I’m wrong.

15 Likes

It was Beziers, in the south of France, during the early 13th century’s crusade against the Albigensians.

12 Likes

That’s my understanding. It will be offered in stages - first they will vaccinate health workers and first responders and people in nursing homes. Next people at high risk and then the general public is stage three. I might have the composition of the stages not quite right, but basically it’s my understanding that it will be done in stages and it will be late in the year before it’s offered to the general public.

13 Likes

Mississippi has no ICU beds in Jackson. Where are people going to be treated? This is nuts.

NEW: No ICU beds are available in Mississippi's capital city, Jackson. ICUs in other large cities are also full.

Only 12% of ICU beds remain available statewide as COVID-19 surges.

But Gov. Tate Reeves still hasn't re-enacted the statewide mask mandate. https://t.co/l5NPVB74rW

— Ashton Pittman (@ashtonpittman) November 12, 2020
16 Likes

People haven’t been giving Trump credit as if he had been toiling in the lab himself. That’s the problem. They want him to get credit for a vaccine from a company that was not involved in Operation Warped.

7 Likes

Ignorant comment. The brunt of the deaths are the poor and minorities, who are largely not responsible for their conditions. There’s a big difference when White House staffers are infected, and when average people in (for example ) Jackson MS are infected.

8 Likes

Thanks for pointing this out and reminding us. There may not be a mask mandate in my state but I haven’t stopped wearing one.

7 Likes

This type of idiot again.

7 Likes

I think they want to make it a nasal spray—easier to deal with for everyone.

8 Likes

All we had to do to avoid all this was to listen to the epidemiologists, stay home, and wear masks. This is Trump’s last revenge, actually the Republicans’ last revenge, the result of national “leadership” turning refusing to handle a deadly plague into a statement of political support. They are slaughtering us by the thousands. I wish they all had one neck…

10 Likes

They’ll look for beds in another state I imagine.

6 Likes

O yeah. I think you’re right, I did see that.

6 Likes

at what point does it become criminally negligent? it’s sounding more and more like the old chestnut that one death is a tragedy a million is a statistic… trump is going to have half a million deaths on his hands at this rate.
edit: spelling

10 Likes

What this means is that the vaccine needs liquid nitrogen. Thus vaccinations will happen at hospitals - most of which will have facilities for this. The need for LN2 will probably be a major inconvenience in rural areas, small towns. But what does anybody do when they need to get an MRI? I imagine that rather than bringing the vaccine to remote outposts, buses could be hired [more cheaply] than accommodating storage issues.

2 Likes

Someone get leading infectious disease expert Donald Trump on the phone to find out what to do next!

8 Likes
Comments are now Members-Only
Join the discussion Free options available