5 Points On Why The Latest COVID Crisis Is So Bad, And Why It’s Poised To Get Much Worse | Talking Points Memo

You know, for an attorney, you are a good creative writer too. LOL

1 Like

Granted, I haven’t read this entire thread, but I haven’t seen anyone in the media using the available data to explain how bad this is really getting. The mortality rate lags the infection rate by about a month and is roughly 2% of the infection rate, so what we can say with some degree of certainty is that the death rate in mid-December will be around 3,000 people every day. Looking at the infection rate trending to 200K per day by the end of this month puts the death rate at 4,000 people a day at the end of the year, and that’s assuming that we have a limitless capacity to treat the infected, so it’s a conservative estimate.

By the time Donald Trump leaves office, over 400,000 people will have died in the United States, with or without a vaccine available… Yeah, I’d say it’s poised to get much worse.

4 Likes

I suspect you didn’t mean this to come out as typed, but let me offer a few thoughts.

1. A nasal spray is essentially how infections are “administered” as it is. It starts in the upper respiratory tract usually, in the nose/sinuses. Mind you the viral load is introduced over minutes and hours vs in a second, so it’s not exactly the same. But the vaccine is introduced the same way the disease is.

2. Now if we’re are talking about administering vaccination, nasal spray has been scientifically proven to be effective for some vaccines.
    It has the advantage of not requiring NEEDLES that have to be sanitary before and during use and then safely disposed(maybe disinfected and reused, but that’s risky).
    Those same needles turn some people off of getting vaccinated where they would otherwise do it.
    Injecting something into a human body is inherently risky, hence the sanitary concerns so something other than just the vaccine isn’t introduced.
    IIRC, many spray vaccines are stabler than injectables and don’t have as strict storage requirements such as cold temps. But take longer to develop.
    Mind you, if you have an injectable vaccine and no spray available, being picky may be a bad idea.

Alas. I can identify - the loss last fall of both family members that have traditionally hosted Christmas gatherings has left a huge void.
But we have already written it off for this year too. May be Independence Day if we’re lucky, fingers crossed for next year.

3 Likes

I read your comment. To me golf is just golf. Gotta go watch the Masters. Take care.

1 Like

The Masters was always my favorite, and I still like to play - and Jack Nicklaus is still a privileged asshole.

2 Likes

Well, to be fair, his neighbor DID punch him in the face. So there’s that…:thinking: Wish I could take a turn at THAT Piñata! :face_with_raised_eyebrow::smiling_imp:

1 Like

Very well said. And very sad. :confused:

2 Likes

Thank you for the update from Germany, its so awesome that some of you Hivers are overseas. Its just really great to hear from you all so we get a different perspective.

As for the German example, wow. It is scary that those wards are already maxed out in a country that has followed strict rules and has been disciplined about Covid precautions. My god, we are fucked here. It boggles the imagination to think how bad its gonna get. I’m kinda thinking people dying in the streets…cuz hospitals are full. Just think about how many refrigerated morgue trucks are already being utilized.

Especially where Republicans are in charge and they still refuse to do the simplest things that could help the most (i.e. wear the damn mask). Just incredible. :face_with_raised_eyebrow:

2 Likes

Part and parcel of the Trump ‘legacy’, inflict the deepest damage imaginable to wound the incoming administration and keep his base of ratfuckers excited. Really, beyond the obvious hard work of fighting our way out of this, the real solution is prison for Trump, his children and various enablers.

I wish you were, but you’re not.

Herd Immunity = 2.5 Million Dead, a destroyed economy, and the END of the United States of America as States, and even Individual Municipalities go to a “Every Man for Himself” stance.
Chaos, Anarchy, Blood in the Streets.

That is absolute insanity.

China doesn’t want it (We are their largest trading partner)
The EU doesn’t want it (same)
The 3rd World doesn’t want it.

Only Vladimir Putin could wish for such a thing for the USA, and even then it is INSANITY to have that be the policy of the United States Government.

We are in the grips of DEATH CULT, where WE ALL DIE a la Jonestown.

Alaska going ballistic:

Border was closed last I checked. They don’t want us there right now. Can you blame them?

2 Likes

Well that was yesterday evening. It’s only 3pm here, so a few hours of counting yet to go for today, but we’ve already passed 154,000 for Friday the 13th, 2020.

Started thinking earlier we might hit 180k+ at the current rate… If things don’t slow down, we’re likely to hit 200k tomorrow.

This is starting to look like the “exponential growth” picture we were warned could happen. That was back in March and triggered the first lockdowns. This could spiral out of control in a hurry, if it hasn’t already.

And today I read that GOP governors are pushing back at Biden, taking a “we’re not going to cooperate” attitude? Fuck those murderous bastards…

Real question: is there anyone that can press charges for gross negligence, incompetence and reckless endangerment? For each and every one of them that sabotage’s Biden’s efforts to contain this thing. Seriously. We have to draw a line in the sand on this…

1 Like

You can’t have this level of dysfunction at addressing a life threatening emergency and at the same time claim to be a great nation

1 Like

Proofreading is a better friend. (And I say that as a sundowning doof who finds embarrassing errors in my own posts days later.)

Also, too: “Loser” and “looser” are not the same thing; “it’s” contracts “it is” while “its” means “belonging to/associated with it”

Stop it, America! Before we descend back into communicating through grunts and whistles.

Besides all the politics, winter is when we all go indoor and turn on the central heating. Air circulation is how a central furnace (and AC during the summer) works, and it also happens to be one of the ways that coronavirus spreads. I want to remind everyone that if a residence or a office is using central heat distribution, please be very careful and limit exposure. If someone in a home has been infected and is quarantined in a bedroom, be sure to find a way to keep the air from circulating in and out of the room as much as possible. Stay safe my friends.

Cathars…

I hear ya! At this point I am more pissed at my liberal friends and relatives than at the Trumpian hordes (who I already expect the worse from).

Comments are now Members-Only
Join the discussion Free options available