5 Kinds Of American Evangelicals And Their Voting Patterns

Industrial space … a factory. Makes you wonder if attendance was “strongly encouraged” for employees.

And what appear to be partially assembled Humvees decoratively arranged around the stage (helps to fill the floorspace, too).

Site appears to be an outfit called JWF Industries. They make water tankers, apparently, and do have a defense line of business, which explains the Humvees.

Also, based on pictures that Mr. Google found of the place, the rally was only set up in a small chunk of the facility… and failed to fill even that. Sad.

Oh, one more thing: “Today” was Saturday, for the event.

8 Likes

I am one of those iVangelicals. My church does not recommend how to vote but does issue position statements. I don’t agree with all of what my church says about culture. However, my church does strongly support helping the poor, widows and orphans. We also have a strong mission to reach people who don’t know Jesus. The church is large and we raise millions of dollars to support hundreds of agencies that help the poor, widows and orphans locally, nationally and internationally.

Sadly, many evangelicals on the list above are hypocrites. Jesus would not recognize them as christians. They don’t love their neighbor. I have a difficult time with those who say they are christians and follow MAGA. Jesus and Paul warned us that false prophets would be among us to take our money and twist our beliefs.

6 Likes

Fundamentalism is a mental illness. So is projection.

Atheism is burdened with fundamentalists of its own.

9 Likes

The GOP have found, to their surprise, that they have a tiger by the tail. If they hold on, they will be held to be complicit with the tiger’s actions. If they let go, the tiger will eat them.

Contemplating this conundrum has given me hours of grim amusement.

7 Likes

Yes! And don’t forget the ultra- Orthodox Jews.

ETA: The word to describe your aunt and your uncle is mensh.

3 Likes

I’m sorry that the only Jesus you have met or seen are the ugly hypocrites that call themselves christians. Those of us the do love Jesus also love our neighbor. There is not qualification on who your neighbor is or how badly they act. Jesus calls us to love them. We all fall short of the glory of God and His grace is endless. That is the Jesus that I know. I don’t know the Jesus that MAGA proclaims. It’s ugly and not what God indented.

3 Likes

1 Like

IMHO, that all simply goes along with being caring people who want to help those who are less fortunate. That’s a great thing, but none of it requires anything other than the desire to help others. No religion is necessary. It helps facilitate the process to belong to an organized group and churches can do that, but so do many other organizations and individuals.

We ALL need to be charitable and giving whenever we can. I strongly support that.

5 Likes

Not taking sides, but as clarification of religious people, they are people who have been taught a dogma that has been orally transmitted by most of our ancestors for thousands of years. Origin myths go way back.

That doesn’t mean they’re correct, but it makes it hard to quickly dismiss them.

The other clarification is to note a distinction between organized religion and individual spirituality. For example, human beings acknowledge a concept called “good,” which means…

5 Likes

Whether Catholic, Protestant, or Muslim, all profited and justified the enslavement of human beings and the sale of their children for profit.

More your kind and less the Confederate Churches calling for war, please.

You’re being drowned out.

2 Likes

About time to move it as far from 12 October as necessary.

1 Like

They are not who got him elected [over the top in the blue wall states], though. That was low-propensity and first-time voters. Many of the former had voted for Obama or other Democratic nominees.

YMMV of course, but I, personally, have never been able to believe in anything “supernatural” or “revealed.” For most of my childhood I tried – really tried – and thought there was something wrong with me because I couldn’t, but in the end, I gave it up, and I’m much happier for it.

That said, I’ve never, ever seen anything good come from any debate over belief/non-belief: only acrimony, discord, and worse. Centuries of violence, death, and ruin have come from that fight, and The Framers were brilliant in their separation of “church” and state.

No matter how silly I, myself, would feel believing in anything beyond The Natural World, I’ve always tried to maintain an objective, neutral, and non-judgmental position toward others, re: their own belief/non-belief. That’s just simple decency and courtesy (i.e. what separates a society from a mob).

As far as I can tell, nothing good has ever come from that argument, and the only way to “win” it is to avoid it.

I do, however, grow fangs and claws when believers attempt to hijack the state for their beliefs – which is a completely different matter, one I can easily differentiate from personal belief and behavior.

Stick religion’s nose into the state, or the state’s nose into religion, and you’ll pick one helluva fight with me. Otherwise, I have no argument with either believers or non-believers. It’s just none of my own damn business.

17 Likes

One of those things is not like the other. [Hint: It should not be capitalized, because it is an adjective, not a proper noun; it also doesn’t take the pluralization; that’s the job of the noun.] The article might have clued you in on those things, had you been paying it some attention.

And it’s still not our job to rehabilitate their image.

You obvioulsy don’t know what mental illness is and should stop talking. Yes, some people who believe in religion have a mental illness, but believing in a religion is not a mental illness. You are insulting people with real mental illness and their loved ones, and you are embarrising yourself.

5 Likes

My aunt and uncle believed in helping people, their religion was adjacent to that.

3 Likes

George Carlin is funny, but pretty sure he did not go around telling his religious friends that they have a mental illness.

Thank you for them and for me. My yiddish is non-existant. Any new word is cool.

2 Likes

Upvoted n bookmarked, but the classes mentioned are doomed.

Though glossed over, these levels aren’t new ones. America doesn’t exist without them and the country’s politics would’ve been stale without their say.

My other objection is to those who want to make previous progressive religious leaders into gods. The general aforementioned would be embarrassed by it (something about piety) and it ignores their time period.

1 Like