2016’s Democratic Primary Feud Still Won’t Die | Talking Points Memo

In a new interview this month, former Democratic presidential nominee Hillary Clinton took aim at current presidential contender Sen. Bernie Sanders (I-VT) — and effectively made the case that 2016 is the year that won’t die.


This is a companion discussion topic for the original entry at https://talkingpointsmemo.com/?p=1285742

Forget electability. How about likeability? Which sadly HRC learned about the hard way.

“He was in Congress for years. He had one senator support him,” she said in a forthcoming four-part series, set to have its premiere at Sundance and air on Hulu beginning March 6. “Nobody likes him, nobody wants to work with him, he got nothing done. He was a career politician. It’s all just baloney and I feel so bad that people got sucked into it.”

Asked in an interview with The Hollywood Reporter, published on Tuesday, if that assessment still held, she said, “Yes, it does.”

7 Likes

Let’s let it die here anyway. The more air it gets, the more Trump benefits. We all know this.

24 Likes

She’s willing to take the heat. I feel sad imagining the unfair criticism about to come but I guess she doesn’t care and won’t regret it.

7 Likes

This is not constructive. No one who wants to avoid permanent GOP rule should be driving up Democratic negatives when the race is so fluid. Everyone should make the case for candidates they support, and say they will support the party’s nominee.

20 Likes

Hmmmm.

3 Likes

FFS…

I would prefer she endorse a candidate rather than come out against another.

This does not help our common cause of defeating trump.

It entrenches “Bernie or Bust”-ers

It gives those who blame only Bernie for HRC’s loss a opportunity to gripe and continuing the 2016 animosity.

If had two wishes it would be…

  1. Bernie drops out now, offers to endorse 2020 winner and says nothing more until a speech endorsing Said winner at the DNC

  2. HRC does exactly the same thing

4 Likes

I believe the PUMA “movement” was a Republican astroturf operation but if anyone can name an actual known Clinton supporter leading it I might admit being wrong.

3 Likes

Your first wish will never come true and that’s why we have this interview coming out now, whether we think it’s helpful or not.

I do wonder why she said she “didn’t want to go there” and then went directly “there.”

5 Likes

I must say, it is a little disappointing to hear this now from HRC, considering how nice and supportive Bernie and his team have always been to her.

Oh … Hang on, let me review my notes for a minute…

18 Likes

File under: Karma’s a mf’er

5 Likes

Yeah, but why keep nursing this grudge in public?

9 Likes

I don’t think it’s grudge in most part, more like reminding people of the pattern cuz the same tricks are being employed again this cycle.

13 Likes

Stupid, stupid, stupid comment. Whenever anyone says something along the order of “Nobody likes him,” it smacks of one suggesting they are a mind reader. Clearly Hillary is NOT a mind reader, and this is also a stupid Trump tactic when he repeatedly says “You know it and I know it!” And the notion that “He was a career politician?” WTF? More stupidity. Give it up, Hillary.

8 Likes

Well, then let the current candidates deal with it. I think Warren is more than capable of taking care of herself.

5 Likes

I think she wants to put Bernie (further) on defense prior to Iowa voting. Her assertion is not true, obviously. Not everybody dislikes Bernie. He has endorsements. But she appears to be dismissing those voices as not influential in primary voting nor general election performance.

I don’t know if I’m happy with the wording, but the message is “he’s not a Democrat” and that’s a fair statement.

4 Likes

Maybe. I agree candidates should defend themselves. But who knows if this is some kind of tactic negotiated between Hillary and some candidates. Also she’s speaking out for some candidates who have dropped out and therefore can’t defend themselves now.

2 Likes

I thought we didn’t want bomb throwers in the party anymore? Wasn’t that what I kept seeing here last week when AOC went after Biden? Where are all the calls for Hillary to shut up?

And as the article points out, Hillary was far nastier to Obama (it was she who initially brought up Rev. Wright and Bill Ayers, not McCain and Palin) and then her supporters threw themselves a pity party. The difference is Obama was a charismatic leader and didn’t need the entire Democratic Party Leadership to whip everyone in line for his nomination. And it also carried him to defeat a far better republican candidate, even without her pathetic ‘PUMAs’

7 Likes

The media stirring up 2016 again…yawn.