Supreme Court Drags Feet So Long That South Carolina Will Hold 2024 Elections Under Gerrymandered Map

Is anyone surprised the Supreme Court only makes timely decisions to help Republicans? The Court is nothing more than an arm of the GOP.

8 Likes

This SCOTUS is drunk with power.

WTF???

1 Like

At what point does the caseload of federal judges, including those on SCOTUS, become an argument for reorganizing the federal judiciary? More judges (and their support staffs), for sure. More districts and circuits? Or circuits rearranged so that an Amarillo isn’t the seat of just one federal judge? How about treating an enlarged SCOTUS like the circuits, with smaller panels hearings cases, and then an en banc appeal which may or may not be taken up? The specifics of my suggestions are ham handed, but you get my drift.

5 Likes

They sure do seem to be able to move quickly when it benefits Republicans and move at a snail pace if it benefits Republicans.

7 Likes

If Democrats take the House this year, no matter who wins the Presidency and no matter what happens in the Senate, I want Thomas impeached. Maybe Alito and Roberts too. I want hearings and subpoenas and discovery and witnesses and press and scandal and outrage and a little bit of truth, even if removal is not a realistic option. If they can gin up Hunter Biden bullshit for 4 years when there’s nothing there, let’s not be afraid to look at actual criminal corruption.

15 Likes

What Roberts neglected to mention about his calling balls and strikes is that he also calls the very flexible strike zone: if he needs a strike or ball to advance his objective, voila! it is done.

8 Likes

Most of us who comment here have reason to notice, only on occasions like this (and many others of late), the glacial pace at which courts move . Think of how it works for joe or jane, esp. if they’re Black, Brown, and/or of marginal economic condition. Months, even years in Rikers (because they don’t have the cash for bail, even one of, say, $2,000, and have nothing to offer as surety for a bond). Maybe they’re guilty – they often are – but of relatively minor crimes, and they are usually young. Some are even innocent (many more than the unavoidable innocents who will get caught up in the nearly best of systems). Most are probably guilty but have strong grounds for appealing a sentence or some of the terms that accompanied either it or their parole. By the time the court is ready to hear their appeal, they have completed their sentence, or nearly done so. The courts’ glacial pace is omnipresent and works to the disadvantage, most of all, of joe and jane. (Though their appeals lawyers may often welcome delay because they, too, are handling too many cases.)

2 Likes

GOP have been doing that in North Carolina for years. They finally got a majority on NCSC, so it is now a totally lost cause.

1 Like

Seems justice makes the movement of glaciers appeart to happen at light speed
Consider…
J6 happened 3 years and 3 months ago and rich bigwigs have yet to receive comeuppence

3 Likes

“The ideal must bend to the practical” - is the practical not to revert to the previous map that wasn’t racially gerrymanded? It’s not ideal, but at least it’s not blatently illegal

6 Likes

The real election rigging.

But that’s ok…let’s just rely on the rigged elections to fix it…lol

1 Like

…his calls depend entirely on who is pitching.

5 Likes

Once again a SCOTUS acts as the best group of political operatives the Mayor of Mal-d-Lardo ever had. And it’s free!

1 Like

I’m just spitballing here, but it seems to me that election from a district that had been determined by a court to be invalid shouldn’t necessarily lead to someone being seated.

9 Likes

Obviously the purpose of the SCOTUS delay was to achieve this result! It’s embarrassing to see how corrupt the Court has become. Personally, my vote is that the next election insurrection should be carried out by centrists besieging the Supreme Court building with posters saying: “Hang John Roberts!” Sorry, I was daydreaming again.

2 Likes

I’d be willing to donate my balls to the effort. I’ll send mine down to DC so any pathetic Dem can borrow mine and strap ‘em on. Because the ones they periodically borrow from AOC are gettin’ an awful lot of use.

Not a daydream…such demonstrations are big part of US character if you can carry a poster you can carry a pitchfork and torch. Then bring the rope. Simply put : dare yourself to dream… at least a million Americans would swarm the SC building on short notice. Anyone know an organization that plans events like this for our side?

South Carolina: too small to be a country, too large to be an insane asylum.

2 Likes

Heads, I win. Tails, you lose.

Comments are now Members-Only
Join the discussion Free options available