Jan. 6 Architect John Eastman Roasted By Judge In Disbarment Case

A lot of things happened. Here are some of the things. This is TPM’s Morning Memo. Sign up for the email version.

This is a companion discussion topic for the original entry at https://talkingpointsmemo.com/?p=1484604
1 Like

72 Likes

Sorry, too busy that day
Trump tells Judge Cannon ‘he’s got scheduling conflicts now’: report - Alternet.org

In a Wednesday, March 27 filing to US District Judge Aileen Cannon, Trump lawyers argued that the April 15 date likely will cause a conflict with the potential start date for the former president’s classified documents case trial.

MSNBC host and legal expert Katie Phang shared the document via X (formerly Twitter), writing, “NEW: (NOT-President) Donald Trump files this Notice of Trial Date to advise Judge Cannon that he is due to commence trial in his Manhattan DA criminal case on April 15th so he’s got scheduling conflicts now.”
The notice reads, On March 25, 2024, the judge presiding over People v. Trump scheduled jury selection to commence on April 15, 2024. While the exact end date of any trial cannot be known with certainty, because of jury selection, religious observances, and the anticipated schedule of the trial, we anticipate President Trump will be on trial in People v. Trump from April 15, 2024, through the end of May 2024.

It continued, “Our initial proposed schedule anticipated a March 25 trial date in People v. Trump , and therefore the dates that we proposed to the Court, particularly in late May and early June 2024, are no longer workable for President Trump in light of the adjourned trial date.”

21 Likes

The scale and egregiousness of Eastman’s unethical actions far surpasses the misconduct at issue in Segretti . Unlike Segretti whose offenses occurred outside his role as an attorney, Eastman’s wrongdoing was committed directly in the course and scope of his representation of President Trump and the Trump Campaign. This is an important factor, as it constitutes a fundamental breach of an attorney’s core ethical duties. Additionally, while the Segretti court found compelling mitigation based on his expressed remorse and recognition of his wrongdoing, no such mitigating factor is present with Eastman.

So Eastman is worse than a ratfucker.

74 Likes

So , not totally stupid?
W.Va. Gov. Jim Justice vetoes vaccine exemption bill (msn.com)

47 Likes

mainstream news outlets, think tanks, elite universities, civil-society organizations—aren’t well calibrated to make moral choices when their mandates come into tension

IMO, it’s worse than that. They are not fit to report the news. Hiring someone, or putting them on air, or accepting a column from anyone, who is an election denier puts you square in the Trump camp. Until they start reporting every day the craziness that Trump espouses the have no moral authority at all. In fact they are really immoral.

Huffman called his underlying allegation a “complete misunderstanding.”

He forgot that he had gone to Schlapp for a hernia test.

34 Likes

Penny’s brother, Arthur, reacts to John Eastman in court.

45 Likes

Too often and more so lately, the morning news(not only here!) depresses me. So thanks for the laugh. Goldberg really hit the nail on the head with this one.

25 Likes

I would recognize the hand peeking out from the covers anywhere: Muad’Dib! Our future ruler and leader in universal war!

7 Likes

Clarence Darrow covers that one for me.

26 Likes

So NBC conspired with the GOP to promote Ronna and they intended to fire Jen Pshaki or Chuck Todd…

44 Likes

Turning a funeral into a shit show?
Trump expected to attend wake for fallen NYPD officer as he ramps up rhetoric on crime (nbcnews.com)
Former President Donald Trump is expected to attend the wake for New York Police Officer Jonathan Diller on Thursday.

Diller was killed Monday when he was shot in Queens after he approached an illegally parked vehicle.

New York police spokesperson Tarik Sheppard said the officers were expecting Trump at the wake in Massapequa on Long Island.

Trump previously posted on Truth Social that his “heartfelt prayers go out to the family” of Diller, adding that the officer’s “life was taken by a murderous career criminal.”

“To Officer Diller’s family, and all of the other brave men and women of law enforcement who put your lives on the line every day, we love you, we appreciate you, and we will always stand with you!” Trump said in his post.
The capitol police not so much

62 Likes

The MSM has a kind of “End of History” problem with MAGA. If they published the articles or broadcast the programs you suggest they would all be the same: ‘MAGA adherents are anti-democratic, mainly racist and misogynyst loons’. They wouldn’t be able to publish or broadcast anything else and would be doomed to writing the same story over and over. Thus, to maintain normal news cycles and reporting, the MSM must somehow normalize MAGA adherents as normal participants in the political process.

12 Likes

Interesting and revealing: Netanyahu’s entire strategy was based on reflexive US support of his operation in Gaza; he even publicly stated that there was “overwhelming” American support in polling. It appears that, as with every other aspect of his machinations, he was wrong.

It also has become evident that Netanyahu’s strategy was consciously designed to place Biden in an impossible dilemma, and to simply hang on and wait for the November election. The administration’s abstention in the UNSC was obviously something he hadn’t counted on.

60 Likes

While as a rule I don’t speak ill of the dead, and particularly of a fellow co-religionist: Joe Lieverman is a rat-f-ed piece of drek. May he burn in hell for all the pain his political, neo-Nazi even, shenanigans caused. All the suffering poor and working class people who have less than adequate insurance for all their ills.

47 Likes

And so the seamy sleaze doth suffuse another day.

7 Likes

Joe Lieberman Dies

Joseph I. Lieberman, the doggedly independent four-term U.S. senator from Connecticut who was the Democratic nominee for vice president in 2000, becoming the first Jewish candidate on the national ticket of a major party, died March 27 at his home in the Bronx. He was 82.

The cause was complications from a fall, his family said in a statement. [snip]

His transition from Al Gore’s running mate in 2000 on the Democratic ticket to high-profile cheerleader for Republican presidential candidate John McCain eight years later was a turnaround unmatched in recent American politics.

Mr. Lieberman continued to draw Democrats’ ire after leaving the Senate in 2012, most especially with his efforts to mount a third party presidential ticket in the 2024 election. As a co-chair of the centrist group No Labels, he helped lead the organization’s campaign to field an alternative to the major party candidates — a move that some Democrats feared would take votes from President Joe Biden and help President Donald Trump recapture the White House…

I’ll just add that i’m not at all heartbroken about this news.

58 Likes

Are you implying that he is an incarnation of Vladimir Putin?

9 Likes

Well, Chuck Todd I can understand.

22 Likes

I could only watch 35 seconds of orange guy pitching Bibles. But even in that short duration, I had to love the way he ran the sentences about “God Bless the USA” by Lee Greenwood and “Who doesn’t love that song” together to make it sound like Lee Greenwood himself doesn’t love that song.

Oh, and orange guy? It’s founding fathers. There was more than one. I know that must stun you, since you think we took over airports during the Revolutionary War. But that was because the Continental Congress got Infrastructure Week passed …

43 Likes
Comments are now Members-Only
Join the discussion Free options available