Discussion: Why Norman Lear Thinks Richard Nixon Was So Scandalized By 'All In The Family'

The series was actually great the first few years. Gelbart and Reynolds did the writing, and it was usually 3 stories going on at the same time, very funny. After Blake and Rogers left, less funny, and losing Frank it went way down. But the real key to the downfall was Alan Alda taking control of the show, that ego maniac ruined it.

Little trivia you probably already know, the only person in both the film and series was Gary Burghoff.

I miss early 70’s TV. Odd Couple and Barney Miller were also brilliant.

3 Likes

You tube has a lot of full episodes. No commercials, plus the TV stations tend to take about 5 minutes out of each show for more commercials.

Archie would have said “handsome and viral”…

1 Like

The idea of a state arrival ceremony at the White House was first conceived by President John F. Kennedy in the spring of 1961. The ceremony evolved over time, and presidents have incorporated, altered, and omitted details. While President Kennedy had avoided the use of a brass fanfare, fearing they would be too regal, President Richard Nixon had new band uniforms with spiked helmets made (widely derided as ridiculous and too reminiscent of WWI German Uniforms), and began the tradition of brass fanfares for announcing the president. The spiked helmets were discontinued by President Gerald Ford, but the brass fanfares continued, courtesy of the United States Army Herald Trumpets.

1 Like

Alan Alda got his when he lost his run for the presidency in The West Wing. :wink:

2 Likes

I don’t watch it now, just see it flipping channels and sometime stop to show my kids the stuff I watch at their age that shaped my tiny mind.

The best part of that fiasco was when Walt Kelly began dressing up Pogo’s “Spiro Agnew” hyena character in one of those uniforms.

2 Likes

Age plays tricks on me, I thought Agnew’s character was a goat.

Two “Likes,” MrComments. One for what Archie would have said and one for what Archie would have meant. :smiley:

Exactly so. Of course, Alan was the bigger bore, but Wayne turns out to be the biggest boor.

He didn’t say “virile.” He said “Magnificent.”

Same here. I used to watch it on Saturday evenings and be awed at how daring it was. The next morning we would discuss it at Sunday school. The intro flyover shot is of Ridgewood and Glendale Queens, neighborhoods once represented by Geraldine Ferraro.

Ridgewood is less than three miles from where I grew up. These towns are also in the general vicinity of where Kitty Genovese was killed in Kew Gardens. and it was a huge scandal, ca 1960

Actually it occurred in 1964 on Austin St. There is a lot of mythology attached to that incident hence the “bystander effect”. That area in Kew Gardens has become quite upscale.

We were Televisionists, not Christians :wink:

Between this, M.A.S.H., and the Mary Tyler Moore Show, I grew up into quite the liberal young woman. We really haven’t had anything as groundbreaking as those shows in a long time.

MTM also had a great episode about a gay character - Phyllis’s brother. Phyllis was trying to set him with with Rhoda, and Rhoda had to break it to her that it was a non-starter. The in-studio audience laughed so long, they had to take a break filming.

1 Like

MTM seemed to “lead the league” in having cast members star in other shows.

I recall that episode. Very funny.

And actually, of all the sitcom ladies I viewed as possible suitable dates, Rhoda was right at the top of list. Savvy, spunk, up front, a sense of humor, and attractive. Well, I am a NYer, so perhaps bias toward the Brooklyn lady.

I found Barney Miller to be another amazing show (great on social issues), as was the Odd Couple.

1 Like

I also tend to wonder if the most anti gay folks are fighting their own feelings.

You’re not wrong - Rhoda was, in retrospect, the least neurotic, most “together,” despite her protestations to the contrary! Also, her mother was hilarious. I identified with her a lot, being a young woman from Philly, with a very similar mother.

And yes, Barney Miller hit on a lot of the same social issues in meaningful ways, while keeping the funny going. A very diverse cast. Like All in the Family, they didn’t ignore the tensions that diversity created, but they worked to resolve them. Hell, they even had a gay officer. And the many people who went through the station were a true slice of life.

1 Like

That was always interesting, to see what this weeks “guests” were up to. Once issues started to be addressed more, they brought in the Dietrich character, who would explain complex issues to Miller and the others. It was a very smart way to clue in the viewer as well, great TV.

Comments are now Members-Only
Join the discussion Free options available