Discussion: Why Norman Lear Thinks Richard Nixon Was So Scandalized By 'All In The Family'

Thanks, Eric, for correcting me. Bad memory of mine regarding this series. My apologies.

They were people too…Dick and Pat used to have an apartment at 4201 Massachusetts Avenue, NW when he was in Congress where, I assume, they watched TV as well.
Ronnie and Nancy used to eat dinner off TV trays while they watched the tube in the Family quarters…

What’s real pitiful is that due to PC nonsense, All in the Family would not be allowed on network TV right now, even though it pushed a liberal agenda. That’s a sign of how absurd the PC crowd is. Sanford and Son is another show that would not be allowed as well.

1 Like

One of the first US comedies inspired by a British original - Till Death Us Do Part.

Like Archie, Alf Garnett entered our lexicon too.

Some didn’t understand the satire here, either, and Warren Mitchell (like Carroll) was the polar opposite of his character in real life.

I do remember we were a bit snooty about the US effort (a tradition which carries on to this day with things like The Office) but I guess you won’t be surprised!

1 Like

Yes, Jean Stapleton was amazing. And as @BeattyCat’s reaction to her indicates, Edith was basically her creation, and not simply a departure from the UK original. Watch the first episode: Edith is a quietly put-upon, slumping, sullen sad sack. But within a very few episodes, she’s become the innocently silly, exuberant, pure-hearted, infinitely loving character we all remember. A great, original, beautiful piece of work.

3 Likes

Yup, for the first few episodes, totally different, she indeed created it. And then when Archie Bunker’s Place came along, she did not like some of the things her character did, so she split during the first season.

“Mouth-to-mouth restitution,” he called it.

3 Likes

Ingeniously titled “AfterMASH.” I think they omitted the asterisks.

1 Like

I felt the same about “MAS*H” (Christ, that’s hard to type on an iPad), which was so preachy, especially when it became “The Alan Alda Show.”

1 Like

When the first season of Sesame Street was released on DVD in 2008, it came with a parental warning, "these early Sesame Street episodes are intended for grownups and may not suit the needs of today’s preschool child."

2 Likes

I looked forward to this show every week. It was set in a part of Queens I grew up in, so that drew me in. It was only later that I learned what fine actors and people O’Connor and Stapleton were.

3 Likes

You’ve got to watch the MASH film, Sutherland, Gould, et al, to understand how diluted the TV series was. The film was subversive, also unPC, anti-war and hilarious

4 Likes

As a kid, I remember that episode. Had no idea it rattled a lot of people’s cage (up to and including then President Nixon).

This article set me off thinking about All in the Family during my lunchtime, and one of Archie’s lines came back to me. I almost laughed out loud.

Mike and Archie are arguing as usual, and Archie finds himself without a logical argument (also as usual). He sums it up by saying, “Sticks and stones may break my bones, but you are one dumb Polack!”

That an ethnic slur like this could bring about outrageous laughter from a generally educated audience really shows you how AATF struck so many cultural chords simultaneously, allowing us to laugh at things we don’t really consider funny. Now I want to watch some episodes.

Cling peaches in heavy syrup.

I didn’t know President Lincoln was Jewish!

My family watched that show religiously.

Every Sunday?

1 Like

Seven savage Jews that won’t leave a scrap on your bones.

1 Like

And handsome and virile!

there’s a local on air station, 17.2, in my area, Raleigh, NC that plays it and a lot of Lear’s other shows.

http://antennatv.tv/shows/

here’s their station finder

http://antennatv.tv/channel-finder/

Great post, and a reflection of the times. Funny, in all other eras, it was the young people getting censored by the older generation. Now the young kids are so sensitive, they want to censor the older people. In general a pretty wimpy and whining generation, but in fairness I’ve seen lots of the young generation who are very hip and “get it”. But overall a bunch of whiners who just want to cry “victim” and look for an excuse to whine. And reading racism into anything that involves a white person and a black person, even if it has zero to do with race.

Comments are now Members-Only
Join the discussion Free options available