Discussion: Trump's Lawyers Are Fixated On Scope Of Mueller's Probe. Here's What That Is

Dim dad is up ! He seems excited about something ?

1 Like

Real peer reviewed science papers aren’t meant to be consumed by lay people. If you don’t know how to read the work and identify CoI then you probably aren’t the target.

There is a theory emerging, that this was leaked by the WH, in a further effort to get Sessions to resign, or if he still refuses to get the hint, to provide a fig leave for Trump firing him.

The theory being that they want Sessions gone pronto, so Trump can use a recess appointment to replace him and this avoid having to go through the Senate and a confirmation hearing. Replace him, with someone who is not recused and thus can pull the trigger on Mueller.

There are however a couple of problems with that theory. First, Mueller can only be fired for cause. Secondly, any attempt to remove him for cause can immediately be appealed to the Federal court system.

This is kind of a key part of the special counsel law; it was set up that way to make it as difficult as possible for the WH to remove any special counsel appointed to investigate him.

So while Trump and the idiots surrounding him may think they just need to reestablish control over the DoJ, the reality is that once the special counsel trigger was pulled, its pretty much entirely out of the Executive Branch’s control.

4 Likes

“If you don’t know how to read the work and identify CoI then you probably aren’t the target.”

What does “identify Col” mean ?

Conflicts of interest. Like seeing that a paper funded by Bayer will most likely be positive to their position.

It’s one of the first things they teach in journal clubs / science publication courses.

It takes work to read science papers correctly and institutions spend lots of time teaching this to prospectives.

Some of the reasons for these “fake” papers are industry trying to promote their products and requirements for students to get published in many programs. The industry has motivation to talk up / down certain science whilst young scientists who just want to finish school will get lazy.

2 Likes

You should take a look at the links I provided, it is much worse than simple “Conflicts of Interests” ( I read the I as a l, btw )

1 Like

So, just to recap:

• 16 years is within scope of precedent
  • initial cause for investigation of precedent was very far afield from a blue dress, topically
  • political affiliation and partisanship, per precedent, is really kind of irrelevant

Totally reasonable observation. Two problems arise:

1. T has never paid attention to anything that isn’t about him, so “precedent” and irrelevance of political affiliation doesn’t matter. The scope of the investigation may actually be a surprise to him.
  2. The GOP has long maintained that actions are only partisan if they make the GOP look bad. Anything they do is acceptable.

There are signals that even the GOP Congress is growing weary and appalled. Their dawning recognition of the scope of his corruption is our only hope until 2018 elections.

1 Like

I checked them out. Some shady stuff- there are shitty people in any field. Those sites just show the drive for integrity in science is real.

Anti- science people will jump on any example of bad work and make the fallacious conclusion that it’s either all bad or use it for sowing doubt.

This is not a new thing. Science has been faked forever.

1 Like

true, but the only answer is to be open about it, so this world’s Breitbarts and WNDs don’t get to frame the discussion.

3 Likes

I have read in a couple places(don’t recall where, or how well substantiated it was) that Mueller’s investigation will be looking into data analytics, social media, botnets. I believe one of the big players(Parscale) for the Trump campaign is scheduled to testify before Senate SCI in August.

Gee, that would be unfortunate. And interesting to watch realization slowly(very slowly) dawn.

Insofar as political affiliation/partisanship is concerned, I believe it’s unimportant whether he pays attention or believes it matters. Sure he’ll squawk and foam, but there are facts that have relevance and which rebut criticism in the press and in Congress.

Nice article. Need to include state level voter database hacking and attempts to poison vote count machines.

2 Likes

OJ was in the original movie. From the 70’s disaster film era.

1 Like

Although, ironically, assuming Mueller’s able to finish the job it could wrap up much more quickly than the Whitewater investigation. In that case, Starr wouldn’t give up until he found something, anything to hang Clinton with, and not just Fiske but Starr himself (in his final report) confirmed that there really was nothing to Whitewater, which meant he spent years just looking/waiting for that something, which really couldn’t have been less connected to the original subject (real estate /= blow job…). Here, in contrast, we already know there’s an embarrassment of riches related to the matter at hand. I’ll be surprised if this takes years.

It immediately occurred to me that that’s what this leak was about. And Trump denouncing leaks in a Tweet this morning lends credibility to it.

Using the “stupidest possible thing done in the stupidest possible way” principle, I expect he’s going to first issue a bunch of pardons and then do his own Saturday Night Massacre, get to a point where he realizes he’s in a mess and then, and only then, decide that he has the inherent authority to nullify federal regulations and fire Mueller himself, directly.

Possibly, they’ll have someone who’s smart enough to take soundings and realize they’ll have to decapitate Justice down to the U.S. Attorney level and decide to bypass that step and just nullify regulations and fire him directly after issuing the pardons. But it would be operating at a much higher level of stupidity than usual for them to leave one obviously stupid thing undone in the process of accomplishing their stupid goal.

1 Like

But that’s my bigger point on this. He can fire everyone at Justice, and appoint Eric the Dumb to fire Mueller…it doesn’t matter. Because of the fact that firing Mueller can immediately be appealed to the federal courts, means…only the Courts can ultimately fire Mueller. Not Justice, not the WH…only the Courts.

Hey, I did say it would be the stupidest possible thing done in the stupidest possible way.

1 Like
Comments are now Members-Only
Join the discussion Free options available